Aston Martin

No rush Lance, take all the time you need, its no big loss to us (He will miss pre season testing)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff says Aston Martin “hired a Red Bull man who managed to make the car suddenly two seconds faster”.

Aston Martin impressed everybody at the first race of the 2023 season in Bahrain, where the team was even faster than Mercedes.
While Aston Martin uses the engine, gearbox and rear suspension components from Mercedes, it is believed that an aerodynamic concept change from 2022 to 2023 allowed the team to make such a huge leap in performance.

Some observers are even pointing out the similarities between Red Bull’s successful car concept and this year’s Aston Martin.
Red Bull advisor Dr Helmut Marko suggested that this was due to his team’s former head of aerodynamics Dan Fallows moving to Aston Martin in 2022, to become the team’s technical director.
In a talk with the Osterreich newspaper, Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said the same thing.
“They did a really good job,” the Austrian said.

“They hired a Red Bull man who managed to make the car suddenly two seconds faster. A year ago they were 17th and 19th in qualifying.
“We knew that Alonso was strong and motivated, but even Lance Stroll was up the front with two broken hands and a broken toe. That proves how good the car is.
“I’ve never seen a jump like this in Formula 1.
Wolff also joked that, as an Aston Martin shareholder, he is pleased that the company’s share price jumped 15% after the Bahrain Grand Prix.
“I hope the share price keeps going up,” he laughed.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(08-03-2023, 07:21 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff says Aston Martin “hired a Red Bull man who managed to make the car suddenly two seconds faster”.

Aston Martin impressed everybody at the first race of the 2023 season in Bahrain, where the team was even faster than Mercedes.
While Aston Martin uses the engine, gearbox and rear suspension components from Mercedes, it is believed that an aerodynamic concept change from 2022 to 2023 allowed the team to make such a huge leap in performance.

Some observers are even pointing out the similarities between Red Bull’s successful car concept and this year’s Aston Martin.
Red Bull advisor Dr Helmut Marko suggested that this was due to his team’s former head of aerodynamics Dan Fallows moving to Aston Martin in 2022, to become the team’s technical director.
In a talk with the Osterreich newspaper, Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said the same thing.
“They did a really good job,” the Austrian said.

“They hired a Red Bull man who managed to make the car suddenly two seconds faster. A year ago they were 17th and 19th in qualifying.
“We knew that Alonso was strong and motivated, but even Lance Stroll was up the front with two broken hands and a broken toe. That proves how good the car is.
“I’ve never seen a jump like this in Formula 1.
Wolff also joked that, as an Aston Martin shareholder, he is pleased that the company’s share price jumped 15% after the Bahrain Grand Prix.
“I hope the share price keeps going up,” he laughed.

So that is what got Marko's panties in a bunch. Makes sense.

I believe that is called the biter bit.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

Aston Martin will reportedly have a new engine partner in 2026, the Silverstone-based team closing in on a deal to become Honda’s new works team.

According to The Race, “multiple sources have indicated Honda will commit to the new regulations after all, with Aston Martin – currently a Mercedes engine customer – tipped to be its partner.”

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Despite the fact that Honda has the capability to engineer some excellent technologies would you as a Team look back at Honda's on again off again commitment to F1 and feel confident with them as an Engine Supplier??

I suppose they are simply emulating everything that Red Bull have done - I suppose as Honda don't have a full works Team - that they are perhaps one of few prospects that gives them the closest thing to a Works team supply.
[+] 3 users Like Westie's post

(11-05-2023, 12:11 PM)Westie Wrote:  Despite the fact that Honda has the capability to engineer some excellent technologies would you as a Team look back at Honda's on again off again commitment to F1 and feel confident with them as an Engine Supplier??

I suppose they are simply emulating everything that Red Bull have done - I suppose as Honda don't have a full works Team - that they are perhaps one of few prospects that gives them the closest thing to a Works team supply.

Above my pay grade mate, but Martin Brundle said last week that he thought the Honda Red Bull engine was the best, then frightenly suggested George might be right saying the engine "may" be turned down.    Cry

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

So that is now all three of Mercedes customer teams thinking of or taking different engines for 2026 or before. I cannot help but wonder what that means for Mercedes works team. I wonder if they are going to sell out or quit the sport of F1.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

Indeed Neil - I suppose if they continue to decline then that perhaps answers the question.

Who else is currently looking to buy into F1?

Though I always thought Merc wanted to give up the team and stay/focus on engine supply?
[+] 3 users Like Westie's post

(11-05-2023, 04:05 PM)NeilP Wrote:  So that is now all three of Mercedes customer teams thinking of or taking different engines for 2026 or before. I cannot help but wonder what that means for Mercedes works team. I wonder if they are going to sell out or quit the sport of F1.

More to the point what does it say about Mercs actual engine development compared to the improved power units from the others.
[+] 3 users Like PaddyB's post

(11-05-2023, 06:46 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  More to the point what does it say about Mercs actual engine development compared to the improved power units from the others.

See, now I have a theory about why Mercedes have lost ground in the PU department. It struck me that when this man left

Mercedes decided to replace him with his brother

No wonder the Mercedes engine has dive bombed! On the plus side, I hear they've taught the 2023 PU to sing, do magic tricks and dance on stage with a spaniel.

Wink
[+] 6 users Like morini's post