Poll: What is the real reason for the mid season quali mode ban? - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
To allow the FIA to police the PU's are legal
9.09%
9.09%
Red Bull requested it because they do not have a good enough quali mode
18.18%
18.18%
Some other reason
45.45%
45.45%
Liberty Media want a level playing field
27.27%
27.27%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Quali mode ban

(05-09-2020, 08:44 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Professor, as I said in the Italian GP thread it'll take a few races before we can judge the impact of the engine mode changes. 

I agree to a point. But ....,

The cynic in me thinks they chose to introduce this rule change here because it is a power circuit. I think "they" were expecting maximum impact at a circuit like this.

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.
[+] 2 users Like The Professor's post

Love the schadenfreude aimed at RBR now. Sorry, but they deserve it all as far as I'm concerned.

From BBC sport :

Team boss Toto Wolff said: "We have seen today for the first time how the level of performance has changed between the teams, and there is some interesting outcomes. Maybe the ones that pushed the hardest didn't show great performance today.

"For us it was important to face this new situation in the most professional way. Once we knew this was coming, we said, 'OK, let's use it as an opportunity.'

I can't find any comments from Horner, but I'm full of cheap shiraz now and struggling to focus Laughing
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

There may be some positives here. Perhaps it will give McLaren a boost for the rest of this year and hopefully next year Lando and Dan can be fighting for podiums regularly.

Mercedes engines for McLaren next year. Could be the beginning of a resurgence for a great team.

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.
[+] 5 users Like The Professor's post

I truly hope so, you could make an argument they are the last British team left in F1 (yes I know a lot of the money comes from Bahrain!)
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(05-09-2020, 09:25 PM)morini Wrote:  Love the schadenfreude aimed at RBR now. Sorry, but they deserve it all as far as I'm concerned.

From BBC sport :

Team boss Toto Wolff said: "We have seen today for the first time how the level of performance has changed between the teams, and there is some interesting outcomes. Maybe the ones that pushed the hardest didn't show great performance today.

"For us it was important to face this new situation in the most professional way. Once we knew this was coming, we said, 'OK, let's use it as an opportunity.'

I can't find any comments from Horner, but I'm full of cheap shiraz now and struggling to focus Laughing
I’d wait until the race is concluded if I was a Mercedes because if they DNF and RBR score points then  there will be egg on their faces

(06-09-2020, 07:52 AM)Beano Wrote:  I’d wait until the race is concluded if I was a Mercedes because if they DNF and RBR score points then  there will be egg on their faces

Whereas at this point in time the only egg is on Horner / Markos faces. Was it Toto or Hamilton who said "whatever punches they throw we'll punch back harder"? Whoever, yesterday Mercedes did their talking on the track. DNF's happen, Mercedes will still come out on top because they are a better team.

When RBR bring some improvements to the car and start to catch up with the leaders in a sporting way I may start recovering a bit of respect for them. What happened to the DAS system Horner said they had waiting in the wings? Gone very quiet on that.

(06-09-2020, 09:08 AM)morini Wrote:  
(06-09-2020, 07:52 AM)Beano Wrote:  I’d wait until the race is concluded if I was a Mercedes because if they DNF and RBR score points then  there will be egg on their faces

Whereas at this point in time the only egg is on Horner / Markos faces. Was it Toto or Hamilton who said "whatever punches they throw we'll punch back harder"? Whoever, yesterday Mercedes did their talking on the track. DNF's happen, Mercedes will still come out on top because they are a better team.

When RBR bring some improvements to the car and start to catch up with the leaders in a sporting way I may start recovering a bit of respect for them. What happened to the DAS system Horner said they had waiting in the wings? Gone very quiet on that.

I don’t know? Are Mercedes in there highest engine mode settings? What if it can’t take the strain over race distance? All “what if’s” of course but IF they do have issues they will certainly look stupid. Nobody likes a gloater. Do the race, win it then say what they have to say (imo). So is it confirmed RBR were the team that pushed for this mid season reg? I thought parts of the press were suggesting Ferrari?? Is there a link for this somewhere please?

(06-09-2020, 09:13 AM)Beano Wrote:  I don’t know? Are Mercedes in there highest engine mode settings?

Nope, nowhere near, from what I understand. They have picked a mode they can sustain throughout the whole race. It wouldn't make sense not to.

Besides, it will be up to the drivers to take the stress off the PU's as and when they can. More lift / coast etc. I would not be surprised if Honda and Renault are the ones running too hot for the race. Fact is, nobody knows bar the engineers in those respective teams.

[edit]
Just noticed the "nobody likes a gloater" comment. Wasn't it you who was complaining about Toto and his "false modesty" recently? Can't have it both ways fella. (apologies if that was not you, but somebody said it)

(06-09-2020, 09:18 AM)morini Wrote:  
(06-09-2020, 09:13 AM)Beano Wrote:  I don’t know? Are Mercedes in there highest engine mode settings?

Nope, nowhere near, from what I understand. They have picked a mode they can sustain throughout the whole race. It wouldn't make sense not to.

Besides, it will be up to the drivers to take the stress off the PU's as and when they can. More lift / coast etc. I would not be surprised if Honda and Renault are the ones running too hot for the race. Fact is, nobody knows bar the engineers in those respective teams.

[edit]
Just noticed the "nobody likes a gloater" comment. Wasn't it you who was complaining about Toto and his "false modesty" recently? Can't have it both ways fella. (apologies if that was not you, but somebody said it)

there is a time and a place and sorry you can be humble yet get your point across, something I believe Toto hasn’t quite got the hang of? Marko is the same!! Who’d of guessed Austrians being arrogant eh?
i must admit I’m looking forward to seeing how this race pans out as there is a touch of “mystery” I’ve no doubt it will probably be an anti climax

(06-09-2020, 09:25 AM)Beano Wrote:  Who’d of guessed Austrians being arrogant eh?

Oh come on! Toto Wolff must be the least arrogant personality on the grid.

And getting back on the topic of the thread, RBR pushed for this quali mode ban. Horner admitted that in the Sky article which provoked me to put up this thread in the first place (the article is no longer on the front page of the sky site otherwise I'd link to it).
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post