Poll: What is the real reason for the mid season quali mode ban? - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
To allow the FIA to police the PU's are legal
9.09%
9.09%
Red Bull requested it because they do not have a good enough quali mode
18.18%
18.18%
Some other reason
45.45%
45.45%
Liberty Media want a level playing field
27.27%
27.27%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Quali mode ban

I was going to put this in the Monza race thread, but then thought better of it as it has nothing to do with this weekend's race really.

Anyhoos, came home half hour ago and I can see on Sky F1 website there's an article up about the "reasons" behind the change. Probably as a result of things said in the drivers press conference pre Monza, I'm not sure as I didn't watch the press conference.

Here is an extract from that piece

"What's crazy is this switch, they've said it's for one reason and then you've got Red Bull who came out and said 'no, no, we were going after them to hold them back!'

"So someone is not telling the truth! All we can do is just smile and keep working hard. That's what we'll do."

Speaking in the drivers' press conference, Hamilton said of the saga: "I find it quite amusing."

Team-mate Valtteri Bottas claimed he would not be surprised if jeaously ultimately lay at the very origin of the change.

"I don't know what happens in the background and how the request and the idea for this actually came," he said.

"Maybe some people are jeolous we've done a great engine and with the car, and are doing a great job."

Incidentally the spelling mistakes are down to Sky, I copied and paste it verbatim. They've never bloody heard of proofreaders!

So, I'm interested, what do people on here think the real reason for this mid season rule change is? I've always thought it was driven by Horner because he does nothing but complain about Mercedes ability to turn it up in qualification. I never bought the FIA "policing the PU" statement as that came out later and seems like a contrived reaction to me.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

I voted some other reason because to me its all about trying to level the playing field which is a consistent goal of those damn Americans!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Think other reason as well.

Liberty is looking for a way to make it more competitive at the front, which I understand and even appreciate. But with this "intervention" Liberty is missing the essence of F1.

And to quote the two Mercedes drivers, I don't know Morini. Don't seem like they would say the same when these were driving a Red Bull (not saying that they are wrong or would think different, just how it works in the world).

(04-09-2020, 12:34 AM)NeilP Wrote:  I voted some other reason because to me its all about trying to level the playing field which is a consistent goal of those damn Americans!

(04-09-2020, 08:32 AM)Antilochos Wrote:  Think other reason as well.

Liberty is looking for a way to make it more competitive at the front, which I understand and even appreciate. But with this "intervention" Liberty is missing the essence of F1.

Yes, I think you are both correct that LM are trying to close the teams up at the front. However, I have thought from the start Red Bull were pushing for this ban because they can't match Mercedes on a Saturday. So, probably a combination of those two things, maybe I should have allowed multiple selections in that poll? Wink

I have no problem with the competition tightening at the front but would much prefer it if Red Bull got their act together rather than relying on slowing others down via rule changes. It is quite cringeworthy really.

Added multiple choice

I think Red Bull can't match Mercedes on Sunday either (and Red Bull knows this, since Verstappen is that blunt to just say so).

Kudos for Mercedes of course every F1 fan can only have respect for that. But still I understand other teams that they might look in their interest what is possible (within limits, naturally).

It is never just one thing in F1, I think LM want an actual show, and Mercedes being so much better, with the best driver in Lewis just destroys that for LM. The FIA do want to slow Mercedes down because they don't want to lose teams / manufacturers and still hope to bring more in. There's also the whinging from other teams of course, but I think the most telling comments come from McLaren, they think Renault and Honda are the engines it'll hurt the most, Sainz and Norris have made the point they don't think Mercedes party mode is as big as some think.

Jody is correct. Lots of factors at play.

I voted for all options apart from the police PU one. That one is clearly bullshit.

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.

Well on today's showing this seems like this idea has missed it's target by a mile. I suppose we should wait until we have seen some circuits requiring more downforce before being certain, but so far it looks like a massive fail.

Mercedes clearly have a far superior all round package. Back to the drawing board I think.

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.
[+] 3 users Like The Professor's post

Professor, as I said in the Italian GP thread it'll take a few races before we can judge the impact of the engine mode changes. We've not even seen the race at Monza yet. If Mercedes fly off down the road it won't look great for the FIA, but until we've seen a few race weekends we won't truly know how it'll all play out, but right now it doesn't look great does it?
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(05-09-2020, 08:44 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  We've not even seen the race at Monza yet. If Mercedes fly off down the road it won't look great for the FIA, but until we've seen a few race weekends we won't truly know how it'll all play out, but right now it doesn't look great does it?

Gotta be honest, I'll be stunned if it affects Mercedes in the race. I just can't see it. I think they will be strong, the only thing that is unknown is whethe ror not these changes are going to affect reliability. It is the rest of the grids only hope IMO.

Marko's been mouthing off as well. He sounds pretty stupid in this (unless it is the media bending his words).

https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut-mar...-reaction/