Poll: What is the real reason for the mid season quali mode ban? - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
To allow the FIA to police the PU's are legal
9.09%
9.09%
Red Bull requested it because they do not have a good enough quali mode
18.18%
18.18%
Some other reason
45.45%
45.45%
Liberty Media want a level playing field
27.27%
27.27%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Quali mode ban

Yeah, Mercedes ran their lowest Strat 3 mode yesterday, which is literally their middle of the road race mode. The settings are still on the steering wheel, and that's where they're controlled from. Engine note analysis also suggests it wasn't a performance mode... unlike the Renault and Honda teams who were running higher modes for their respective engines. I think when Allison claimed after the British GP that their advantage was mostly chassis he was right. Sure, the Merc PU is clearly best in class, but the rest of their car isn't bad either. Yesterday, for me, proved what I've been saying, Honda have the best party mode relative to race performance. It has been clear to me from the figures through speed traps more than anything else, they actually had the biggest drop off in race trim. Mercedes were actually relatively close to qualifying speeds, it was through the corners at low fuel Mercedes made all their gains, and looking at the traces yesterday it was S2 where the Mercs blitzed everyone else, so again, corners. I do not think engine mode changes will affect Mercedes going forward, but where it leaves the pecking order of the other teams is up in the air. Did the Renault teams sacrifice too much engine life for Monza glory? Will it hurt them in Mugello and Sochi? That will take time to find out, but at a power hungry circuit, Mercedes didn't turn the wick up, and were still essentially a second quicker than everyone else at a track where a tenth of a second is an eternity in F1.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(06-09-2020, 09:36 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Yeah, Mercedes ran their lowest Strat 3 mode yesterday, which is literally their middle of the road race mode.

I'd be surprised if Mercedes took any undue risks with how hard they run the motor through races. But, I guess it's all in "unknown" territory, even for the Mercedes engineers? Do they still have the ability to switch modes on the steering wheel? I guess they do as this rule is so new, but how do they prevent drivers switching between them in the race?

Time will tell which teams have done the best job but looking at their track record so far who really thinks Mercedes will go bang?

Well drivers still have to switch modes for the formation lap, and cool down lap, so yeah, it's all still on the steering wheel. I believe there is some leeway in the regs for drivers accidently switching engine modes during the race, as long of it's explainable. They can even turn engine modes down if telemetry shows there's a problem apparently as long as they get permission from race control first.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Daniel Ricciardo thinks it is ‘fun’ that Mercedes dished out a dominant performance in qualifying at the Italian Grand Prix against rivals who had lobbied for the party mode ban.  (AutoSport)

Asked if he had any disappointment that the ‘party mode’ ban had not delivered a massive shuffle of the order, Ricciardo said: “I never expected it to change the pecking order. I would be surprised if the guys here [at Renault did either]. I don't think they really did.

“I don't know where the change was driven from, and if a team drove it for it be enforced or they just did it thinking something would change – a bit of a 'hail Mary'.

“I don’t think we are surprised. I guess Mercedes are in a position to be a little bit arrogant with some of their comments, but look, I never expected them to struggle with this change. So, yeah: We will let them have it for now.

“I like that they have kind of dished it back. It is fun.”

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post