The Benevolent Dictatorship of (Insert Name Here)

(20-11-2017, 08:52 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  1. Kill the Halo-rule before it's even starts.
2. Make it easier for manufactures to enter F1 and no "three-engine-rule".
3. Two tires is always a bit of extra fun.
4. Kill the Halo once more.
5. Don't punish the driver with grid penalty for car reliabilities. Punish the constructor with points for constructor championship.
6. Bring back some gravel traps.
7. Get rid of that ugly shark fin.

Couldn't agree more. Old school gravel traps will stop the liberty taking. Austin was a joke, drivers making the circuit up as they went along!

Does anyone else think the shark fins make F1 cars look like vans (in profile)?
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(20-11-2017, 09:22 PM)Chloe17b Wrote:  
(20-11-2017, 08:08 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  So given that we all know better than Liberty / Bernie / the teams or anyone else actually involved in F1 - what rules / regs would you set?

Engines, Aero, etc, etc

I'd have - refuelling back, and two tyre Manufacturers, I quite enjoyed the tyre wars  Idea

Fun question.
I don't know about refuelling, i love the 2s pitstops i think they are amazing.  Do you mean qualifying with race fuel too?  

Tyres?  the trouble for me is we don't know anything about them, i mean even less that we know about the aero or chassis.  So aren't different ones basically noise, like a factor but a bit random?

If i ruled F1 then i think I'd be trying to make it more organic, without the zillion artificial limits.  I'd get rid of at least 2/3 of the tech regs and try and find some basic limits they could design to.  I wouldn't worry about cost.  maybe crash tests could be a good one, like go as fast as you like but the driver mustn't see more than 60g at whatever, half top speed into a particular deep tecpro barrier.  Bit radical perhaps.  Needs refining obviously.

I'd make sure teams had to tell us a LOT more about what they were doing.

Hi Chloe, yep, my point on tyres, is it's another factor, two tyre manufacturers, trying to give their teams the best tyre for each race, rather than teams, just having a choice of compound.

Also, on refuelling, it allows the cars to run at full /quicker speeds for more of the time, rather than lugging around a lot of dead weight for much of the race, and it also makes for strategy calls much more interesting, i.e., how much do they start with, and when do they need to come in, for example Smile

cost capping hasn't worked either, bring back testing, so young guys aren't thrown in at the deep end, also, to steal this from purple banana - just set an engine horsepower limit, etc, and let the teams get there however they like - smaller teams could use a cheap V8, and the manufacturers, could chase whatever hybrid tech they like.

on aero, I'd love it much more freed up, so we could see some more real, and spectacular innovation - though, maybe we're reaching the limits on that one

I liked Forza's suggestion about active suspension also Smile

Also, I think Eddie Jordan should be FIA president - haha - it'd be more fun, and no less silly  Big Grin

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 2 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

(20-11-2017, 09:34 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  Hi Chloe, yep, my point on tyres, is it's another factor, two tyre manufacturers, trying to give their teams the best tyre for each race, rather than teams, just having a choice of compound.

Also, on refuelling, it allows the cars to run at full /quicker speeds for more of the time, rather than lugging around a lot of dead weight for much of the race, and it also makes for strategy calls much more interesting, i.e., how much do they start with, and when do they need to come in, for example Smile

cost capping hasn't worked either, bring back testing, so young guys aren't thrown in at the deep end, also, to steal this from purple banana - just set an engine horsepower limit, etc, and let the teams get there however they like - smaller teams could use a cheap V8, and the manufacturers, could chase whatever hybrid tech they like.

on aero, I'd love it much more freed up, so we could see some more real, and spectacular innovation - though, maybe we're reaching the limits on that one

Also, I think Eddie Jordan should be FIA president - haha - it'd be more fun, and no less silly  Big Grin

When i watch refuelling races I don't like it as much.  You don't know what they've got in for qualifying, or if you do you don't get the feeling of them all on equal terms going for it with a light car absolutely flat out.  And in the race the fuel loads are different, or they might be, so you don't know quite what you're watching either.

I'd never set a power limit, gotta say, that's just against the whole concept afaic.  it needs some other limit that's not against excellence, like you can have it if you can crash it safely.

Yes bring back testing, it's much cheaper than virtual too!

There's so much they could do with aero if the regs were loosened, the mind boggles!  Someone mentioned the fan car, a few weeks ago there was a sky item with Charlie and Bernie and that team, and Gordon Murray, and they were laughing how when they revved the engine with skirts it sucked the car down on its springs :Smile Just imagine now...
[+] 1 user Likes Chloe17b's post

much as I enjoy listening to drivers whine, I would do away with pit to car radio, also do away with blue flags....

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

(20-11-2017, 10:05 PM)Chloe17b Wrote:  When i watch refuelling races I don't like it as much.  You don't know what they've got in for qualifying, or if you do you don't get the feeling of them all on equal terms going for it with a light car absolutely flat out.  And in the race the fuel loads are different, or they might be, so you don't know quite what you're watching either.

I was about to make exactly that point, but you beat me to it. Personally, I think the current quali is the best ever format, you know in Q3 that all the drivers have two runs and they are going to be on fumes. The fastest is the fastest in those circumstances.

Re-fuelling quali was just another strategic game. Yes, the fastest drivers could make a difference by letting their skill compensate for carrying more fuel in quali hence giving them a race advantage. But it was much harder for us punters to work out who was genuinely quick on a Saturday. Prefer it how it is now to be honest.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(20-11-2017, 10:14 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  much as I enjoy listening to drivers whine, I would do away with pit to car radio, also do away with blue flags....

Dunno if I agree about the radio, but the blue flags can go. 

<worried>God, I've just watched myself type something echoing the opinion of that prize tit Crofty. He's anti blue flags too. I must be going senile.

I guess I would just prefer the driver saying adios to the team on the grid and having only a pit board for info until end of race

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

There are a few things I’d do, and I’m sure you’ve all heard me prattling on about them on various other forums, but here goes:

1) points for qualifying. Pole Position = 3 points. Second = 2 points. Third = 1 point.
2) 2 points for fastest lap.
3) Up the amount of engines teams can use, 3 is ridiculous, as I said in the thread I started I think 5 is a good number.
4) I see I’ve got to Forzaferrari... ACTIVE SUSPENSION!!! Just do it already, it’s no longer expensive, it’s in pretty much every other racing series, except the one where it’s needed... F1. Would massively reduce the effect of running in dirty air.
5) Allow ground effect, see above for reasons.
6) Give drivers control over the deployment of battery power, and give them bigger batteries / more freedom over how much an be deployed. We’re hearing Mercedes, Renault and Fearrari are producing more energy than they can use under current regs. Why? Let them use it, and use it how they like.
7) You do the above and you don’t need gimmicks like DRS.
8) If a driver needs to exceed the limits for engine components / gearbox changes then the car should be removed from that race for the WCC, meaning they score no points towards the WCC. However the driver still retains points from the event towards the WDC. That way teams can choose to prioritise one over the other, but take a hit in prize money from loss of WCC points.
9) Maybe not gravel traps, as those are dangerous. However, track limits enforced. If drivers exceed track limits multiple times in a race, hit them with. 10 second penalty.
10) Fairer redistribution of prize money.

I’m sure there are more things that will come to me. I’m not sold on refuelling or multiple tyre manufacturers entering the sport. I can see pros and cons with both. Willing to be convinced, but currently would vote against.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(20-11-2017, 10:05 PM)Chloe17b Wrote:  
(20-11-2017, 09:34 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  Hi Chloe, yep, my point on tyres, is it's another factor, two tyre manufacturers, trying to give their teams the best tyre for each race, rather than teams, just having a choice of compound.

When i watch refuelling races I don't like it as much.  You don't know what they've got in for qualifying, or if you do you don't get the feeling of them all on equal terms going for it with a light car absolutely flat out.  And in the race the fuel loads are different, or they might be, so you don't know quite what you're watching either.

I'd never set a power limit, gotta say, that's just against the whole concept afaic.  it needs some other limit that's not against excellence, like you can have it if you can crash it safely.

Yes bring back testing, it's much cheaper than virtual too!

There's so much they could do with aero if the regs were loosened, the mind boggles!  Someone mentioned the fan car, a few weeks ago there was a sky item with Charlie and Bernie and that team, and Gordon Murray, and they were laughing how when they revved the engine with skirts it sucked the car down on its springs :Smile Just imagine now...

yep, it's why I headlined this "benevolent Dictatorship" haha - honestly I don't know enough about engines to really say, and I agree, I think innovation should be tantamount, didn't mean to set boundaries, just clear guidelines and let them do whatever they feel necessary, 

aero, is another field I  don't fully understand, but again I'd let them have a much freeer hand - cant' spell free-er at the minute, haha - and auto spell ain't helping either, but I believe Murray himself, who I put in my dream team for designer over Newey, said himself that it would've killed someone 

I don't mind not understanding things fully, just that smarter guys than me are pushing the boundaries in all aspects, I believe it was said about Chuck Jeager, when breaking the sound barrier, - "hanging your ass out over the ragged edge"   Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

(20-11-2017, 10:34 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  I don't mind not understanding things fully

I wish you'd understand how to trim posts!

Wink

Snipping's not all about vasectomies you know?