General Driver Discussion

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

WTF?

Shrooms?   Laughing

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

Martin Brundle is surprised by Toto Wolff and Lewis Hamilton’s downplay on Red Bull winning streak

“I was a little surprised and disappointed that Lewis Hamilton and Toto Wolff played down this achievement over the weekend, because they rightly received their due reverence and appreciation during their years of total domination from 2014 to 2020”

“If a tennis player or football or rugby team for example was so utterly complete and dominant, they would rightly be globally lauded at the highest level. As should this pairing be. Sport can and should be tribal, but you must surely also appreciate a level of excellence in others”

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

We don't see all that goes on behind the scenes. Merc know that Red Bull are ahead due firstly to some great engineering on their part but secondly and perhaps this is why Merc have attitude because they knowingly breached the cost cap to achieve this level of domination and that the punishment for doing so was ...... well there was no punishment cos you could say that the fine they receive purchased them this winning streak and lets face it any and every team on the grid would have paid that fine for this winning streak.

We all know that the cost cap has basically nullified anyone's ability to challenge this streak.... so there actually is no ability to topple Red Bull unless they to resort to underhanded tactics.

They have created a two tier series with only one team in the top tier.
[+] 3 users Like Westie's post

(05-09-2023, 10:17 AM)Westie Wrote:  We all know that the cost cap has basically nullified anyone's ability to challenge this streak

I understand, but what can the powers that be do that would change things, the cost cap was brought in to stop the big teams vastly outspending the smaller ones.......other than maybe go to some type of concessions like we see in some bike racing?

BBC: FIA announces that all 10 Formula 1 teams have been found in compliance with the cost cap in 2022

(05-09-2023, 11:17 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(05-09-2023, 10:17 AM)Westie Wrote:  We all know that the cost cap has basically nullified anyone's ability to challenge this streak

I understand, but what can the powers that be do that would change things, the cost cap was brought in to stop the big teams vastly outspending the smaller ones.......other than maybe go to some type of concessions like we see in some bike racing?

BBC: FIA announces that all 10 Formula 1 teams have been found in compliance with the cost cap in 2022

I don't want concessions but I'm leaning towards ditching the cost cap now, ok the big teams would out spend the smaller but at least the big teams would be able to fight without their arms tied behind their backs.

Ok this is a shock, after reading Red Bull, Aston & Mercedes were being looked into, hope there is some transparency so the other teams can see whats happened, would liberty brush the embarressment of another overspend under the carpet?

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(05-09-2023, 12:31 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  I don't want concessions but I'm leaning towards ditching the cost cap now, ok the big teams would out spend the smaller but at least the big teams would be able to fight without their arms tied behind their backs.

OK this is a shock, after reading Red Bull, Aston & Mercedes were being looked into, hope there is some transparency so the other teams can see whats happened, would liberty brush the embarressment of another overspend under the carpet?

Part of me feels the same, but then there is a very good chance the likes of Williams could go to the wall, and perhaps followed by others.
I really dont know what the answer is, but I dont think letting the big boys spend as much as they like/ or are willing to is the solution to f1 problems.

Er.....me thinks yes  Tongue

I've no idea what the solution is either... and frankly the cost cap may actually be working very well.... or may have worked very well had it not been combined with the factors that were allowed to sway the benefit so much in Red Bulls direction as to turn the series into Red Bull Racing F1 Series.

I surmise a cost cap would only work well if all factors were equal to begin with. So for instance - facilities are the same, staff levels are the same or similar etc. It strikes me that implementing a cost cap without levelling up the series would obviously benefit the likes of Red Bull and Mercedes who have always spent shed loads on their infra so it's all up to date.

So Red Bull have benefitted the most and even took more than their fair share of that cap in the first year to make it that way and Merc have simply gone down the completely wrong road and the cap won't allow them to spend their way out of the mess they have made.
[+] 3 users Like Westie's post

Lawrence Stroll, the Executive Chairman of Aston Martin, attributed his son Lance Stroll's 2023 season to "bad luck."

I agree.......but he left out the part were his son is a bit shite too.

[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

(19-10-2023, 08:04 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Lawrence Stroll, the Executive Chairman of Aston Martin, attributed his son Lance Stroll's 2023 season to "bad luck."

I agree.......but he left out the part were his son is a bit shite too.

LMAO.

I could have been an F1 driver only thing is I was just not good enough!!!
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post