General Driver Discussion

(30-09-2018, 04:06 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Yup, I just don't see a way back into this championship for Vettel unless Lewis crashes into a wall and explodes in a ball of fire and dies. Even then I think there's a chance Lewis would still win. If the weather is "changeable" in Suzuka would anyone ever really bet against Lewis winning their as well? Red Bull will be a threat in Suzuka if it is wet. Seb does not like the rain, and he absolutely will not like Suzuka in the wet.

I dont see Seb having any answers anytime soon, if he was a boxer his corner would/should have thrown the towel by now....he hasnt just been beaten since the summer break he has well and truly been hammered (excuse the pun) I dont know what has happened within the team nor Sebs head but he doesnt seem the same driver we watched in the first half, unfortunately.

"the biggest enemy is me" ... Sebastian Vettel

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Forza, I think the reality is that Vettel just isn't as good as Lewis. I think it is no more than that. He was out driven in both Monza and Singapore and let us be brutally honest Vettel never looked like having enough to win here in Russia. I'm convinced Ferrari have gone down the wrong route in development these last few races, but Seb spent all Friday and Saturday chasing set up... and he never found it. Today Ferrari got their strategy spot on, but Seb allowed himself to get mugged. He made mistakes on the lap before Lewis passed him, and Lewis took advantage by pushing him hard and just going for it. For me Lewis has an edge, that I've never seen in Seb. Alonso has it, Max has it and very few others I've seen recently, I think Ocon has it, Leclerc too, they go for it, even if their team mates stick them in the wall. Ricciardo has the spirit, I'm just not sure he has the outright speed, I'll reserve judgement on him, and Gasly. I don't even think I'd put Vettel in the top 4 on the grid anymore.

(30-09-2018, 04:55 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Forza, I think the reality is that Vettel just isn't as good as Lewis.

I would have to agree, but I still believe there is more to why Seb isnt performing in the second half, that is not an excuse, I just dont think the Seb we seen in the first half would have been SO dominated by Lewis in the second.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Maybe Forza, but throughout Sebs career he's only ever been able to drive a car that's perfect, and he's never been able to drive round problems. The other thing is that he's never really been able to maintain his top form for protracted periods, he has big, big dips in form. People never really noticed them when he was at RBR because of how dominant the car was, and how rubbish Webber was (sorry if you're a Webber fan). However, Seb had big dips in everyone of his 4 winning seasons. He had the same problem last year and Lewis exposed him ruthlessly and I'm certain that he's just doing the same again this season. He put him to the sword in Monza, and then he finished him off in Singapore and now he's just going to push that advantage until he's destroyed him. I can't see much changing in 2019 unless the Ferrari is utterly dominant or Leclerc hits the ground running and can challenge the driver who I'm starting to think might be the greatest I've ever seen.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

I think Hamilton is far and away the better driver of the two, but that said I think Vettel is taking too much flak here. I think you have to blame the whole Ferrari set up they have made too many mistakes this season in which frankly it is they who should be far ahead at this stage not Mercedes.

To my untrained eye Vettel is much more susceptible to making mistakes than Hamilton is, as to him not being in the top 4 on the grid, well each to their own. He would be in my top 4. The simple fact he drives for the most famous team in F1 history alone carries a huge weight of expectation, that is baggage Hamilton does not have to carry (well not yet Forza Smile ).

I suspect one of the reason Mercedes did not swap the drivers back over was because of the engine situation at Mercedes, they were unhappy with his engine today and maybe he will need to take another one before the season is over and they are trying to cover that off, who truly knows.

On to other things that Red Bull did not look too slow on the straights to me, so much has been made of how bad that Renault engine is well it looked pretty darn good to me today, it blew by cars with both Ferrari and Mercedes engines on the straights as well as cornering so dont tell me its as bad as Horner and Red Bull make it out to be, its clearly not.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(30-09-2018, 05:27 PM)NeilP Wrote:  To my untrained eye Vettel is much more susceptible to making mistakes than Hamilton is, as to him not being in the top 4 on the grid, well each to their own.  He would be in my top 4. The simple fact he drives for the most famous team in F1 history alone carries a huge weight of expectation, that is baggage Hamilton does not have to carry (well not yet Forza Smile ).

Seb would be in my top 4 of current drivers, albeit.....just!

that is baggage Hamilton does not have to carry (well not yet Forza Smile)......lets hope it stays that way....we wouldnt want to burden the poor soul now would we  Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

1) Hamilton
2) Verstappen
3) Alonso
4) Leclerc
5) Vettel = Ricciardo
7) Ocon

That's genuinely how I currently see it.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(30-09-2018, 06:06 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  1) Hamilton
2) Verstappen
3) Alonso
4) Leclerc
5) Vettel = Ricciardo
7) Ocon

Wow that’s bold indeed Jody putting LeClerc at 4th after one season, and Ocon in 7th, interesting.

Actually is this your best in F1 currently? If so 

Hamilton
Verstappen (only because he isn’t in a championship winning car otherwise I fancy him as No1)
Alonso (again in a poor car not seeing true ability)
Ricciardo
Vettel
Räikkönen 
Bottas
Hulkenberg
Ocon
LeClerc
[+] 1 user Likes LotusLover's post

(30-09-2018, 06:06 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  1) Hamilton
2) Verstappen
3) Alonso
4) Leclerc
5) Vettel = Ricciardo
7) Ocon

Well Jody you can genuinely . . . . LOL, just kidding

1: Lewis = Fernando
2: Max, hmmm, wanna say Riciardo is on par but after today yeah
3: Danny
4: Charles, I agree if you just look at this year

Seb - he has been awesome in the past, it's been mentioned, his first WDC was won on the last race, I just don't know what has happened to him, it's like he's got worse with pressure, whereas others, Lewis and Fernando excel under pressure, that said, said it before, I believe Lewis can be fragile depending on his circumstances, and with Nico gone and no real inter team challenge, he's just upped his game, which is why I still put Alonso on par, it doesn't matter who he's up against, he always gets the maximum

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 2 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

Discuss here your driver rankings etc.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post