General Driver Discussion

RESPECT.

Dictionary Definition: a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

Used in a sentence: I have no respect for Forza he does not know what he is talking about most of the time.

Immortalized in song by Aretha Franklin R- E- S- P- E- C- T find out what it means to me. Written of course by Otis Redding who frankly never gets the respect he deserves (see what I did there).

The English language and words within are grossly overused and misused in this day and age but what is new. Respect is earned not given was a phrase I grew up with. (it actually dates back to the 16th Century uttered as part of a longer phrase by a Pakistani Begger King) Sport is quite possibly the largest area in which words that praise or credit (Hyberbole) are the overused the most. Great used to be a word reserved for few now it is openly used for every Tom, Dick or Harry in any scenario. The same with respect. If something is to be earned it cannot be given ( Except of course the 2021 World Drivers Championship). Today as you rightly say Westie people assume the mantle of wanting respect without earning it pretty much in the same way trust is earned not given.

Youth has always been bold, brash and arrogant. At my age it has been replaced with bald, rashes and incompetent. As it relates to F1 the drivers have absolutely been given over to a younger movement. Anyone who actually watched the race on Sunday will have witnessed some amazing driving and no I am not talking about Verstappen. I am talking about Hamilton. He was all over the back of Ocon lap after lap in terrible conditions and was clearly the faster driver by far and whilst ignorance will say 'see he could not even get past him' those that understand the sport will realize there was absolutely nothing more he could do. The reason he could not get past was 100% down to the limitations of the car he was driving and the great defensive driving of Ocon. In most sports youth or the young will always eventually win out in the end as others continue to age. Its called Father Time and to my knowledge he is unbeaten. Hamilton is absolutely not ready to meet Father Time just yet.

Alonso is worth his place on the grid, I actually think Nico Hulkenberg belongs on the grid too. As for Hamilton, please, he absolutely belongs on the grid. Putting my fanhood to one side; in equal cars, driving in a fair manner my money would always be on Hamilton to win a race right now.

I think as we age (and I am speaking from experience here 62) we mature and have far more experience than youth to draw on. Does that make us wiser. Yes, in some ways it does but every generation as it ages mocks the upcoming generations. That said has there ever been a more pussified generation than the ones coming through today? I think not and it is not getting better anytime soon.

[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

Made me chuckle - thanks
[+] 3 users Like Westie's post

Age is only a number, if you are race fit and still "got it" then why should a number dictate your participation in f1?

I know most of you guys have zero interest in bike racing, but I seen this post this morning, Jezza is 58....yes 58 years old and is still giving most of the young whipper snappers a run for their money both on roads and short circuits..........and in a sport that is well known to be every bit as (if not more) physical than f1.

Drivers/ riders should be in their sport on merit, nothing else imo.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

Its not that I am not interested I honestly keep meaning to watch a race. I will get to it in time I promise.  I guess as I have little (who am I kidding, No ) knowledge of the sport its so unknown to me. (I know the peanut gallery out there is thinking well you know sweet FA about F1 either but that dont stop you posting your drivel).

I have the utmost respect for these guys I long ago came to the conclusion they are either the bravest people in sports or they are stark raving lunatics. The jury is still out. 58 doing any sport is amazing but this one is just wild.  I wish him the very best of luck and may the universe keep him safe!
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

Ricciardo to drive Red Bull F1 car at the famous Nordschleife circuit

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/artic...phosw.html

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Alfa Romeo driver Valtteri Bottas has held preliminary talks over reviving the bankrupt KymiRing circuit that is theoretically capable of hosting Formula 1 and MotoGP races in his native Finland.

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/b.../10471071/

[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Saw this and thought what the actual f£$&k!!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/motorspo...539e&ei=21

I mean point one, they had a young driver in the other car!!!! Yeah his skillset is questionable.

I'm wondering if this wasn't a piece to drive further support for Alonso on the back of us old git's taking umbridge? To say a younger driver would have taken pole or would have won the race... well to be factual - I suppose a younger driver did but he was also in the best car. I reckon Alonso in that RBR would have taken pole as well.. .as would Hamilton and just to show I'm not ageist - so would Lando or George.... and if RBR could field two race winning cars on one weekend perhaps so would Sergio.
[+] 3 users Like Westie's post

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/motorspo...1a5d&ei=52

Another exercise in bullshit and misdirection from the Red Bull twat blaming Hamilton for Albon's drop in form and ultimate axing from the RedBullshit team.

I mean he is literally making this up.  I think Albon was doing a great job in the main RBR team but we all know that when it comes to fielding two cars for a race... they are only capable of one when the squeeze is on.  Albon was vying for the same patch of tarmac as Lewis - which shows he was doing well.... but to blame their coming together and subsequent dropping from the team on Lewis is just absolute bollox.  If anything the fact he was fighting with Lewis should have buoyed his confidence.

Anyway they pulled their usual bullshit move of undermining a driver (who really wasn't quite ready or given a proper chance) by doing what they do best... letting him down and then sidelined him leaving him with nowhere to go ... but they apparently helped him into a Williams?  I call bull-cough-shit!  They cast him aside and frankly it looks more to me like Merc helped Albon out....perhaps with George's (and perhaps Lewis') sponsorship.
[+] 2 users Like Westie's post

(28-06-2023, 11:29 AM)Westie Wrote:  https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/motorspo...1a5d&ei=52

Another exercise in bullshit and misdirection from the Red Bull twat blaming Hamilton for Albon's drop in form and ultimate axing from the RedBullshit team.

Helmut just can't help being a Helmet, very much like short spice.

Here's the bit PF1 did originally post, can't find it on their site now, not sure if its been removed or I missed it, anyway Albon's take on it is much more sensible than that senile old twat who finds it impossible to play nice.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/29/alex-albo...-16560828/ (Gag's found it here)

"Albon has revealed that he has made peace with the seven-time world champion, adding: ‘I would never, never blame Lewis for what’s happened to me. It’s all on me.

‘It’s just one of those things. He apologised and honestly, I look at the Brazil one and think I could have done my part in avoiding a crash in some places.

‘I always look at crashes between drivers and it’s never 100-0, there’s always a little bit of give and take in most of these incidents.

‘The Austria one, though, I do think is his fault, for the record,’ he said laughing"

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Lewis Hamilton has welcomed the fact that more teams are now in the mix following the British GP, citing the regs as one of the reasons the field is beginning to bunch up behind Red Bull

[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post