2018 Japanese GP

Neil you are a funny guy!!! Don’t come back lol that made me laugh
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post

(01-10-2018, 11:00 AM)NeilP Wrote:  I look forward to reading all about it in the international Newspapers!!!

I see I've developed a bit of a dodgy reputation!

(I'm pretty sure that isn't a god thing)
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

https://formulaone21.wordpress.com/2018/...preview-2/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 5 users Like forzaferrari's post

"New" Kerbing for T13 + T14 'Spoon' Curve. While good to keep cars inside the white lines, time is lost running wide there, real dirty and it just keeps pulling cars off, away from the track shoud they get too greedy.
I'm not reading any formal changes to DRS, yet.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 4 users Like Monster Hesh's post

OK, I'm hearing Ferrari are having to turn their engines right down on Fridays because with their PU1's out of rotation, there PU2's have got a lot of mileage on them. Worrying amounts apparently if you'd heard Seb on the radio at the end of FP2... BUT... those gaps are absolutely HUGE. FP1 Lewis was a second quicker on the slower tyre, and it didn't look like he was pushing at all in the first session. He then maintains nearly a 0.900 second advantage in FP2 on the same tyre, yet again, looking like he's in total cruise control, and we have to remember that Mercedes will also have their engines turned right down here in both FP1 and FP2, maybe not as much as Ferrari, but still, it'll be way down.

However, that's not the worst part. Oh no, in the long run practice race sims, where Ferrari seemingly turned the engines up a bit, probably to emulate actual race conditions, Lewis Hamilton blew them right away. Neither Ferrari was close on the SS runs for pace, nor longevity, Ferrari's tyres dropping of a cliff before 10 laps, meanwhile Lewis was running comfortably it seems in the 1:33's for ten laps with hardly any tyre deg. The switch to the Softs doesn't seem any better for for Ferrari, with Mercedes seemingly matching their SS pace and being able to run for days on the tyres. Both Seb, but especially Kimi were getting blisters on the Softs on their rear tyres... ouch.

Yeah, it's Friday, but Ferrari are as far away right now as they were during the previous era in F1 when Mercedes were all conquering. Sure, they'll dump PU3 in their cars tomorrow and we'll see if their straight line speed has really disappeared (it was in the straights they were seriously losing time), or whether it was just that they turned their PU2's down to snail mode. I think it'll close up, but running like they are, with turned down engines isn't going to really help with quali set up, or how the car handles in race trim, plus Mercedes will plonk their PU3 inside their cars too tomorrow. The gap is too big, far too big. Ferrari might be the ones doing the rain dance on this evidence, because I think that's the only way they get close.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

One thing I noticed during P2, both the Ferrari having little lock ups into the hairpin. Happened lots, the Mercs looked great through there.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Question for you Morini, does the Ferrari still have what sounds like excessive Turbo whine in the corners compared to the other cars. Hearing it was gone in Russia.

(05-10-2018, 09:39 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Question for you Morini, does the Ferrari still have what sounds like excessive Turbo whine in the corners compared to the other cars. Hearing it was gone in Russia.

It sounds different to the other cars. Wouldn't call it a whine, more of a growley sound off throttle. Sounded a bit weird to me. The Merc engine sounds cleanest out of all of them, nice metallic hard edged sound.

Posting on phone from train back to Nagoya so forgive brevity and typos.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(05-10-2018, 09:56 AM)morini Wrote:  
(05-10-2018, 09:39 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Question for you Morini, does the Ferrari still have what sounds like excessive Turbo whine in the corners compared to the other cars. Hearing it was gone in Russia.

It sounds different to the other cars. Wouldn't call it a whine, more of a growley sound off throttle. Sounded a bit weird to me. The Merc engine sounds cleanest out of all of them, nice metallic hard edged sound.

Posting on phone from train back to Nagoya so forgive brevity and typos.

Cheers Morini, yeah the babbling growl off throttle is some form of exhaust blowing, no question about it. However, in both Spa, but especially noticeable to me in Hungary there was a high pitched turbo whine sound in the breaking zones and into the corners across all Ferrari engines. I've been told it was definitely not there in Russia by a Finn who was with me in Hungary. I have to say if the pace isn't there any more for Ferrari, after the second sensor was fitted, I might have to reappraise my stance on the Italian cheating bastards theory.

For once I really find myself hoping Toto is right, and not just kidding us:

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...lding-back

I really hope Ferrari's pace hasn't disappeared, especially after sticking up for them during the accusations of cheating.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post