2018 Singapore GP

I don't know why, but I thought you might be up for that!!! Wink
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Just read an extract from Mario Isola about why Ferrari suffered in Italy. It parallels what we have said about Ferrari needing clear and trouble free practice sessions. They just didn't have enough time on the Friday(wet and ERI crash) to optimise their setup correctly. This contributed to RAI's insane tyre wear, coupled with how the race panned out.

So whether it's just bad luck in Monza over the past few years, Ferrari do need clear practice sessions, just as Ted alludes to for RAI to have a good weekend. Yes, its true for all teams, but Ferrari seem to suffer more. The state of Practice sessions could be the indicator of whether Ferrari can fight back till the end of the season.

The weather is looking stable for the sessions, but this is a barrier circuit, green track, red flag possibility is high. Marina bay is tough on the rears, Ferrari will know they need to get everything right during practice.

Track tweaks.
https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/19841

"Singapore Grand Prix officials have confirmed a minor tweak to the layout of the Marina Bay Street Circuit ahead of this year’s event.

The circuit has been realigned around Turns 16 and 17 due to construction works in the area, straightening the short section of circuit between the corners.

The circuit length has been reduced by two metres to 5.063 kilometres, though this does not affect the race length, which will still run to 61 laps (assuming the distance can be covered in the time limit).

The track has also been resurfaced around Turns 1, between Turns 5 and 7, between Turns 15 and 17, and around Turn 23.

Marina Bay has been altered on a handful of occasions since it joined the Formula 1 calendar in 2008.

The Singapore Sling, a narrow chicane with high kerbs, was reprofiled once and eventually removed prior to 2013, instead replaced by a shallow left-hand kink.

The Turn 11/12/13 complex was amended for 2015, with drivers now flicking left before passing on the left-hand-side of the Anderson Bridge, while the hairpin was also marginally widened."

[Image: Untitled.png]

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 5 users Like Monster Hesh's post

That is an unfortunate change which, I think will reduce the overtaking opportunities into turn 1. It might not seem like much but that is a significant tightening of the apex of the last corner, which means different lines aren't possible through there now. Also I'd love to see what this does to the pitlane entry, I mean it was super tight before, now it could be worse. I'll be interested to see what the resurfacing does, but if it is with the FIA sanctioned surface that could spell disaster for those who are hard on their rears.

Have they changed T22 + T23? there's resurfacing, but thats the quicker of the two left handers onto the pit straight.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.

(11-09-2018, 12:12 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  That is an unfortunate change which, I think will reduce the overtaking opportunities into turn 1. It might not seem like much but that is a significant tightening of the apex of the last corner, which means different lines aren't possible through there now. Also I'd love to see what this does to the pitlane entry, I mean it was super tight before, now it could be worse. I'll be interested to see what the resurfacing does, but if it is with the FIA sanctioned surface that could spell disaster for those who are hard on their rears.

I think you've got your wires crossed there Jody, it's not the penultimate corners that have been re-profiled, but the right/left before the straight before they pass under the grandstand

(This is the problem with these damned street tracks! LEFT/RIGHT/LEFT/RIGHT/LEFT/LEFT/RIGHT/LEFT...... blah blah blah)

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 2 users Like Purple-banana's post

Yep, got my wires crossed, although I am really interested to see what the hell is happening with the resurfacing. Normally new surfaces are highly abraissive and this generates heat and tyre wear. If this is true of the surface at Singapore, then this track might become even more rear limited.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

https://formulaone21.wordpress.com/2018/...preview-2/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Looks like there may actually be some real tactical moves possible with tyres in this race. I know Danny Ricciardo is set to use an older engine and I wonder if either Ferrari or Mercedes would consider doing the same. I have mentioned it several times but does anyone think these two teams can go the last 8 races on one engine????

We always talk of Mercedes damage limitation I am not so sure this time, I think Red Bull pose the biggest threat but based on what we have seen from Ferrari lately and their struggles on tyres I am not so sure they are clear cut second favourites.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(13-09-2018, 09:29 AM)NeilP Wrote:  I have mentioned it several times but does anyone think these two teams can go the last 8 races on one engine????

We always talk of Mercedes damage limitation I am not so sure this time, I think Red Bull pose the biggest threat but based on what we have seen from Ferrari lately and their struggles on tyres I am not so sure they are clear cut second favourites.

Like you I'm not totally up with the tech side, (understatement for me!) though I am also interested to find out, seems a stretch though.

Mama always says I'm a "half full" bloke not an optimist lol, though I find this way I'm disappointed less!    Laughing

I'm expecting Mercedes to be the third best team, if they do any better it will be a bonus for me, this tactic seems to be working so far for me/us so far this season, so expecting fifth, hoping for a win.....     Blushing

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

The teams have repeatedly stated that their second engines would be cycled back in for Singapore and Russia. Even last year for Singapore teams went back to engine 2 for Singapore. They also keep mileage off of newer engines by using their first engine for FP1 and FP2. So the second and third PUs have nowhere near the mileage on them that the first engines had by Monaco. So yeah, I do think it is theoretically possible they'll make it to the end of the season. If any engines are going to pop it'd be the second engines given they'll have done Montreal, Paul Riccard, Silverstone, Austria and Hockenheim all Tracks with a serious amount of full throttle, and Hungary thrown in as a nice breather. The really interesting question should be whether some teams have had to use PU2 for FP1 and FP2 for Spa and Monza, because that's wear and tear you wouldn't want to put on that engine going into the temperatures and humidity of Singapore.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post