2018 Singapore GP

[Image: DJ2kv_mWkAEulgJ.jpg]
[Image: DJ7oGQqWkAIcz6n.jpg]
They ran out of time last year.
[Image: 17367_tab-eng-4.JPG]

[Image: 1442316898012.png]
[Image: DmQT9rmX4AE3m_f.jpg]
[Image: DmI8n0zXsAAXILf.jpg]
This picture pretty much sums up why this is my favourite F1 weekend. The start of Autumn, cosy nights drawing in, f1 cars tearing around a track in the heart of a city, that is full of great architecture, new technological projects, yet all shrouded in lush gardens and green. FP1 is great, as the sun is setting, yet FP2 my most favoured session of the whole year. I really like the track also, in the game its great to drive and one where I'm consistently competitive, and give those wheelers a run for their monies.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 4 users Like Monster Hesh's post

I think my objections to Singapore are well known. I get why people like the spectacle of the race under the flood lights, but for me I've always found the race itself a tad boring. Last year the rain spiced things up, but after the start and it all going off, I kinda think the race fell into the usual predictable patterns.

I would expect Red Bull to be back in the mix here, if not expect to see very disgruntled drives from the Red Bull duo for the rest of the season. I would say on balance of evidence so far this season Ferrari should be stronger than Mercedes, but having seen them chew through their rear tyres at Monza they'll need to get their balance right. With the tyres the way they are I expect a one stop race, given the time advantage the big boys have round here maybe even SS to S. Otherwise US to S or SS if they can make them last. Ferrari need a performance again from Seb, they won't want rain that's for sure. Mercedes will be on damage limitation, and hoping to get through the next two races still with their noses in front so they can get to Japan and the USA where they should fare better.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Great city, been there many times on business (and a couple of times for leisure) but never for F1. To be honest it is very low on my list of races I'd like to go to in person. Be nice to see the place under the lights, but the racing is usually dull.

I'm hoping Red Bull can take points off Ferrari, because this one isn't Mercedes territory and they will be in damage limitation mode all weekend.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(03-09-2018, 02:12 PM)morini Wrote:  I'm hoping Red Bull can take points off Ferrari, because this one isn't Mercedes territory and they will be in damage limitation mode all weekend.

I fully expect Ferrari to hit back as hard as they can. After Monza they'll demand a performance from Seb, and I think they'll get one. I think there's a chance Ferrari will have Red Bull as a buffer between themselves and Mercedes in Singapore, and Lewis might have to hope for more shenanigans and engine failures. But no matter what happens he'll leave Singapore in the lead of the championship.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

I am with you Hesh, its a wonderful spectacle and I really enjoy watching the cars go round the track. I get the negatives of the race it can be difficult to overtake but could we not say that about many of the race circuits used on the F1 calendar (I mean dont even re start me up on Monaco until next season!) There are a few races ahead of this one on my list to remove before this.

You have to think Red Bull are the favourites but I think it will be very close between the top three teams, for all the negativity on Mercedes their record here whilst not as good as some circuits its not as dire as some make it out to be, admittedly last year was unusually and also spectacular at the start (sorry that was another Vettel screw up in my book).

I am going for a Verstappen win, unsure right now about Ricciardo I know Horner said he can revert to an older engine for the race (I wonder if Mercedes or Ferrari would consider that because there is no way in hell I see this spec 3 engine for either team doing 8 races?) but I am not certain his head is in the game right now. Then I see it so close between Ferrari and Mercedes too close to call probably all depend on the day type of thing.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(03-09-2018, 02:17 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I think there's a chance Ferrari will have Red Bull as a buffer between themselves and Mercedes in Singapore, and Lewis might have to hope for more shenanigans and engine failures. But no matter what happens he'll leave Singapore in the lead of the championship.

I think it is a probability that Red Bull will be ahead of Mercedes here. But I'm hoping the RBR's also get ahead of the Ferraris to minimise the pain (unlikey, but I've got my eternal optimist hat on). Fully expecting Merc to be 5th and 6th here. They will have to suck it up, barring any unusual events.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Oh, and rain at this race is actually quite rare. Ironic really, given that every time I've been there it's always been wet at some point. Tends to rain in the afternoon rather than at night though.

(03-09-2018, 02:20 PM)NeilP Wrote:  You have to think Red Bull are the favourites

I don't really think they are. I would love it if they can get ahead of the Red cars, but I'm realistically thinking RBR will be a Ferrari / Mercedes sandwich filling (with Merc at the bottom!!)

(03-09-2018, 02:27 PM)morini Wrote:  Oh, and rain at this race is actually quite rare. Ironic really, given that every time I've been there it's always been wet at some point. Tends to rain in the afternoon rather than at night though.

Indeed, last year was the first time that we've had rain at a Singapore GP. Lightening won't strike twice for Lewis I think.

Utterly worthless this far out, but long range weather forecast are for rain both Saturday and Sunday evenings, whatever the opposite of a rain dance is Ferrari and Seb had better get on it.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Clearly Seb and Ferrari's anti-Rain dance isn't as strong as Lewis' and Mercedes Rain dance... because on the long range global forecasting service I have access to via work the chance of rain during qualifying has gone up from 26% to 55% and the chance of rain on race day has gone up from 68% to a whopping 90% with thunderstorm's. I'm going to be keeping an eye on it as the race gets closer, because it might trigger Sebs PTSD and give him flashbacks.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post