2018 Singapore GP

Great post Fog.

Sorry I wont be convinced about blue flags, the most exciting bit of the race today was when Lewis was being held up with Max catching, let them fight their way through, much more fun, the animosity builds between drivers so some are less keen to get out of the way, remember how ruthless Senna was when lapping? bring on the niggle.

No worries I realise I'm in the minority.    Cool

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(16-09-2018, 07:11 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Not going to disagree with any of that Fog, I do disagree with you on the blue flags, they're there for a reason. In his press conference Whiting has said Grosjean ignored the blue flags for almost two laps. Regardless of what you think of them, they're in the regulations. That was truly unacceptable from Grosjean today, and he nearly put Max into the wall, he only noticed he was there at the last minute. I think given the regulations in F1 right now, you need the blue flags. Are they waved too soon sometimes? Yeah, but I think there has to be an acknowledgement that having to pick your way past absolute donkeys of drivers like Grosjean, Sirotkin et al isn't the way to go. If we had better regs, and a better standard of driver in F1 I'd be happy to see them go.

Ian going to disagree with you a little Jody, when two drivers are proper racing and someone comes to lap, I say pick the right moment, by that I mean they were “racing” so unfortunately it’s  a bit tricky for Lewis on this occasion but did he moan? Nope he picked the right time to get pass, I didn’t see the Verstappen incident but did he do as Lewis did and pick the right moment? Probably not as he is quite impetuous. To penalise a driver for racing is to me ridiculous, I know we won’t agree, if anything for me it was the highlight of the race! Are blue flags necessary im not so sure. I am with Fog on that matter
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post

No LL, we're not going to agree on this one. I can see your side of the argument though, it's not like any of us are entirely happy with the blue flag situation, it's not ideal. In a perfect world the Formula's regulations would make them unnecessary, sadly the F1's regulations do make them necessary. Give the cars active suspension and mechanical ground effect and you'll cut down on the aero disturbance and the lead cars will probably breeze past back markers any way. However, in the current formula the turbulent air causes problems, especially round a high walled track like Singapore. Throw in some of the utterly crap drivers on the grid we have nowadays and I just don't think having races without blue flags is a good idea. Plus the B-team issue could come into play. Sorry, I think the sports needs them, I'm not happy that it does, but it does.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

No problemo Jody I do see what your saying, I love the drama myself Smile and by fook that race needed it, I do accept that if it had gone badly?well.....
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post

(16-09-2018, 07:28 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  Ian going to disagree with you a little Jody, when two drivers are proper racing and someone comes to lap, I say pick the right moment, by that I mean they were “racing” so unfortunately it’s  a bit tricky for Lewis on this occasion but did he moan? Nope he picked the right time to get pass

I don't think the backmarkers should be blamed today, after all they were in their own race and concentrating on their own battle. But traffic is much more of a problem on some circuits than others. Surely you can see why blue flags are needed on tracks like this? Catch traffic in the wrong place and it is a major problem and could artificially change the result. I don't want to see that, I would rather a driver win on the track without (much) slower traffic influencing the outcome.

You are correct, Hamilton handled what was in front of him like a pro. But it could very easily have resulted in carnage. Once in clear air he had all the pace he needed to gap Verstappen again.

(16-09-2018, 07:41 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Sorry, I think the sports needs them, I'm not happy that it does, but it does.

Posted my reply before reading yours, but I agree completely.

So. . . . we all agree then . . . . no more blue flags if we can get ground effect back? LOL - love this sport, so complicated, but I forgot to mention in my original post.

How do you's guys feel about LM's new first place car podium "thingy"? - sorry can't remember what they called it, personally I liked it. added a bit of drama, though I think all top 3 finishers should be on it. May need a bigger TV though Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 1 user Likes Foghorn Leghorn's post

(16-09-2018, 08:12 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  So. . . . we all agree then . . . .

What!!!

That would have to be a first! I reserve the right to change my opinion.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(16-09-2018, 07:47 PM)morini Wrote:  
(16-09-2018, 07:28 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  Ian going to disagree with you a little Jody, when two drivers are proper racing and someone comes to lap, I say pick the right moment, by that I mean they were “racing” so unfortunately it’s  a bit tricky for Lewis on this occasion but did he moan? Nope he picked the right time to get pass

I don't think the backmarkers should be blamed today, after all they were in their own race and concentrating on their own battle. But traffic is much more of a problem on some circuits than others. Surely you can see why blue flags are needed on tracks like this? Catch traffic in the wrong place and it is a major problem and could artificially change the result. I don't want to see that, I would rather a driver win on the track without (much) slower traffic influencing the outcome.

You are correct, Hamilton handled what was in front of him like a pro. But it could very easily have resulted in carnage. Once in clear air he had all the pace he needed to gap Verstappen again.

See for me it’s all part of the skill, getting past everyone, I’m trying to think how they dealt with it in Senna/Mansell epic at Monaco did they have blue flags them days? Artificial racing hmmm not so sure myself blue flags kinda makes me think of “ghost car” in computer game racing Smile
[+] 1 user Likes LotusLover's post

(16-09-2018, 08:26 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  See for me it’s all part of the skill, getting past everyone, I’m trying to think how they dealt with it in Senna/Mansell epic at Monaco did they have blue flags them days? Artificial racing hmmm not so sure myself blue flags kinda makes me think of “ghost car” in computer game racing Smile

We have has a "blue flag" thread (I think it was resurrected tonight, though I've had a few this evening). They key point I will make is this, if you want to abolish blue flags then introduce a rule which means cars with a delta of more than 1 second a lap are not allowed to compete. With the speed differential between todays cars the backmaker are like rolling roadblocks. On tight street tracks like Soingapore that *is* artificually influencing the outcome.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post