2018 Belgian GP

Thanks for that John, so really they need to shut up about quali and party modes on engines and call it what it is; chassis to engine compatibility issues.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

That's just my take on it anyway Neil. Remember McLaren said when they originally switched to Honda was that the only way they - or anyone - could win a WCC was by being a factory team and having that influence over the design & development of the PU

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 3 users Like Purple-banana's post

Nico Hulkenberg is set to start from the back of the grid in the Belgian Grand Prix, the German poised to take an all-new power unit.
With Renault having admitted after the Hungarian Grand Prix that it expected Hulkenberg to need new parts that would incur a grid penalty, the team is ready to use the opportunity to give him a brand new Spec B power unit.
Hulkenberg has been out of sync with teammate Carlos Sainz ever since he suffered a turbo failure at the Austrian Grand Prix that also meant his engine was unusable again.
Although official confirmation of which new components Hulkenberg will take will only be made ahead of final free practice, the German said it was likely that there would be enough of a penalty to move him to the back of the grid.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12526/1...ed-engines

Belgian GP: Mercedes and Ferrari to both debut new upgraded engines
Could success of new engine be crucial in Hamilton and Vettel's title fight? Doubts over Bottas upgrade due to looming penalty.

Mercedes and Ferrari are set to introduce new upgraded engines at the Belgian GP as the championship battle hots up.
Both teams expect to run their respective 'Spec Three' power units from Friday's practice sessions onwards, and title rivals Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel will hope for what could be a pivotal engine boost.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

That will surely mean both teams will be taking engines penalty later in the season unless they revert to previously used engines I cannot see a single engine doing 9 races and fresh enough to cope at the end of the season. This is another reason I hate these rules the WDC could be decided not on track but by a stupid penalty. I appreciate trying to keep costs down but this is ridiculous.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(23-08-2018, 06:30 PM)NeilP Wrote:  That will surely mean both teams will be taking engines penalty later in the season unless they revert to previously used engines I cannot see a single engine doing 9 races and fresh enough to cope at the end of the season. This is another reason I hate these rules the WDC could be decided not on track but by a stupid penalty. I appreciate trying to keep costs down but this is ridiculous.

And it all comes down to management so they not flat out 100% a new breed of racing isn’t it
[+] 4 users Like LotusLover's post

Imminent madness warning in the F1 paddock, well to be fair, its in full swing. If we thought it was a bit crazy up until now, we're in for a turbulent few weeks.

Im sure on this forums somewhere, we predicted we were going to be entertained more off the track than on it this season, silly season is delivering.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Belgian GP: Latest F1 tech updates, direct from the garages

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/spa-f...23/?nrt=54

pic 5/19 merc front wing really is a piece of art

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Those near none existent rear wings. Either they are Monza specs they are just going to run some tests on, or Ferrari and RedBull are very confident in the underside of their car generating enough downforce to ensure they are on point in S2. Free practice and what turns up in FP3 will be fascinating.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Lots of chatter but no concrete proof or reasoning but the Sky team are really talking up the Ferrari engine upgrades here at Spa and intimating (but not verbalising) that they are ahead of Mercedes (of which they have not said a word so far!).

Dont like the talk that Ferrari MUST win here either there are 9 races to go there will be lots of swings in fortune and results I am sure.

What did I learn for FP 1, very little I am afraid. Ferrari finished top of the time sheets (Vettel) but in truth I got the distinct impression nobody was really pushing that hard. Red Bull running a virtually flat rear wing which looks kind of funny! Norris beat Vandoorne not that we should read too much into that other than Norris was not overawed. FP 2 should be more interesting quite a range of tyres were used by all teams.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post