2018 Belgian GP

I know it is a fair few weeks away, but well I guess we should have a place holder for the race. I will be going to the Belgian GP also, hoping to re-start my yearly Spa pilgrimage.

So Spa, has been a bit of a Mercedes track down the years, but last year it was really nip and tuck between Ferrari and Mercedes and we had a real game of cat and mouse between Lewis and Seb, probably my favourite race from last year as they really pushed each other. If you remember after the second Safety car restart they were pulling away from the rest of the field at over 1.5 second's a lap, and Lewis drove an amazing defensive race and Seb pushed him every inch of the way.

Going into the summer break I think the roles might be reversed between the two teams. Ferrari look rapid, true, so do Mercedes, but I think we can all see Ferrari have the edge. Mercedes said they're bringing a large update package to Spa, and also Monza afterwards, but it'll need to be one hell of an update package, because Ferrari will not be standing still either.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(31-07-2018, 09:23 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I know it is a fair few weeks away, but well I guess we should have a place holder for the race. I will be going to the Belgian GP also, hoping to re-start my yearly Spa pilgrimage.

So Spa, has been a bit of a Mercedes track down the years, but last year it was really nip and tuck between Ferrari and Mercedes and we had a real game of cat and mouse between Lewis and Seb, probably my favourite race from last year as they really pushed each other. If you remember after the second Safety car restart they were pulling away from the rest of the field at over 1.5 second's a lap, and Lewis drove an amazing defensive race and Seb pushed him every inch of the way.

Going into the summer break I think the roles might be reversed between the two teams. Ferrari look rapid, true, so do Mercedes, but I think we can all see Ferrari have the edge. Mercedes said they're bringing a large update package to Spa, and also Monza afterwards, but it'll need to be one hell of an update package, because Ferrari will not be standing still either.

Cant wait, at least we'll have a fair contest this time, Merc have had that power advantage for four years, so it about time Ferrari got their game in order and offered up some real competition. 

This years title will really be worth something for whoever wins it, nothing better winning a title when you have opposition!

As NeilP posted 'whoever wins both the drivers and constructors this season will absolutely deserve it, make no mistake about that'.
[+] 2 users Like F1 Fan's post

Agreed on whoever wins the WDC and WCC this year will obviously deserve it, but whoever wins the WCC any year deserves it, that's the nature of the WCC. The WDC is slightly different. I really do though think that even if there is a dominant team, most times those teams let the drivers race, McLaren with Prost and Senna, and yeah Mercedes with Lewis and Nico. But it is different when it's drivers in different teams fighting it out. Last season I still think the championships were lost because Seb and Ferrari shot themselves in the foot multiple times. I still maintain (although many Merc fans disagree) that Ferrari had the better and quicker car all round last year. Take Spa, it was clear in race trim it was quicker, true in qualifying it was nip and tuck, but in the race... if only Ferrari had taken a little bit of rear wing out I think Seb might have had a better chance. Still, it was a great race
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(31-07-2018, 10:47 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Agreed on whoever wins the WDC and WCC this year will obviously deserve it, but whoever wins the WCC any year deserves it, that's the nature of the WCC. The WDC is slightly different. I really do though think that even if there is a dominant team, most times those teams let the drivers race, McLaren with Prost and Senna, and yeah Mercedes with Lewis and Nico. But it is different when it's drivers in different teams fighting it out. Last season I still think the championships were lost because Seb and Ferrari shot themselves in the foot multiple times. I still maintain (although many Merc fans disagree) that Ferrari had the better and quicker car all round last year. Take Spa, it was clear in race trim it was quicker, true in qualifying it was nip and tuck, but in the race... if only Ferrari had taken a little bit of rear wing out I think Seb might have had a better chance. Still, it was a great race

I think Ferrari where close last year at Spa, but that was a bit of an anomaly, they had a good car first half of the season. The only blame that can be levelled at Seb for last year was Baku, complete idiot! Singapore wasn't down to him, dont know why he gets the blame for that, just one of those things with all three cars playing a part. The rest of it was down to reliability, so i wouldn't say Seb shot himself in the foot, without the reliability issues he still would have been in the fight. Merc were without question a far superior all round outfit last year in both performance and reliability.

I think Spa will be different this year Ferrari are truly a match, hopefully Seb is up to it. I dont want to get ahead of myself, but if he or Kimi were only to win one more race this year, please let it be Monza.
[+] 3 users Like F1 Fan's post

I do attribute blame for Singapore squarely at Sebs door I'm afraid. Nothing else really Max could've done, and Kimi was given instructions to try and jump Max at the start, and Vettel's aggressive switch across the track caused the collision. It was, again, needlessly reckless. There were other instances of Seb mistakes last year also, but no question, Ferrari dropped the ball. If you look at it, on pace they should have converted Bsku (although without the Safety Cars / red flag they wouldn't have been in it), Monza, Singapore, Russia, Malaysia, USA, Mexico and arguably Suzuka into wins. Their car was quick enough, more than quick enough, just that Mercedes were the better team and executed perfectly, and yeah, Hamilton was the better driver. This year there have been a few errors in Ferrari's decisions, but overall they're executing superbly well, it's Mercedes making mistakes and bungling things so far, and Mercedes with the mechanical woes. If Seb doesn't win the WDC this year it'll be down to him, and his mistakes I think. Ferrari look a much better team this year, and their car is clearly ahead.

Spa? Well I'm going so I hope I see a great race, I have a sneaky suspicion, that unless Mercedes strap a rocket to their car that Seb and Ferrari should be favourites.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

What a coincidence I was only watching that Singapore race last night and there is no doubt Vettel should be apportioned some blame, between them the Ferrari made Mad Max a sandwich and he had nowhere to go. That said the main blame should have been placed on Raikkonen it was his contact with Max (which was caused by Vettels sudden move) that really caused all three of them to crash out (and eventually as a result Alonso who had an amazing start in that race)!

I think Ferrari start as slight favourites for this race but having said that despite it being holiday time I am certain both teams will bring some upgrades and mods to the race so it may be a case of who has made the better progress wins. I dont think there is a much better sound in F1 than the cars racing past on the Kemmel straight. It sounds like a swarm of wasps and thunders in to a deafening crescendo!

I am envious Jody!
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

Spa is a glorious cathedral of automotive speed. Every Motorsport fan should make at least one pilgrimage. I include Monza, Silverstone and Suzuka in that mix also. Truly special places in F1 race history.

Back to Spa NeilP, yeah, if the teams brought what they currently have to Spa I think Ferrari probably edge it. I think S1 would be nip and tuck because Mercedes increased stability under elevation change would give them the edge in Eau Rouge, but Ferrari's increased grunt would make that up down the Kemel Straight. S2 I think Mercedes will have the slight edge with the high speed corners, but S3 has always been pure power and about acceleration out of the last chicane, it's normally S3 in qualifying that separates pole position from the rest, and right now I'd fancy Ferrari to top S3.

As you say though NeilP, it's going to be down to what teams bring to Spa. On that score we know Ferrari will bring new engines. They gave them a test run in Hungary with Sauber and Haas. Apparently they worked well, and Ferrari are testing them right now in the back of their car. Expect Aero updates too.

Mercedes though are only talking about chassis updates and aero packages. Their spec 3 engine isn't expected until Monza if you believe Allison. So Spa I really do expect Mercedes to be on the back foot... unless it's one hell of an aero update. Their supposedly testing the spec 3 engine in Hungary, and a new waste gate system. We'll see.

Sadly I just don't see Red Bull in it at all this year. What will be interesting in Spa for me is to see how Toro Rossi and Honda power goes. Historically for McLaren Honda Spa, Monza and Suzuka were their worst tracks. If TR have a good showing here relative to McLaren and Renault it'll be interesting. Certainly the story I'll be watching away from the front of the grid.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Spa definately on my list of races to do. I can't swing it this year though, unfortunately.

I was going to try to reply to a few of your comments earlier in this thread, as I don't agree with it all. But can't be arsed trying to do it on mobile phone.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

We await your contribution with baited breath Morini. The more the merrier... it's going to be a long 4 weeks. Just watched Lewis' brilliant defensive moves from Spa last year again. Seriously. What a drive. The best chance for Seb should have been into the last chicane, but Lewis was saving deployment through the rest of the lap and using it all in S3. Just such an intelligent, calm and controlled drive. Looking back maybe there wasn't much Ferrari or Seb could do, Lewis was perfect that weekend, and when he's in that sort of mood, he's unstoppable!
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(01-08-2018, 10:06 AM)NeilP Wrote:  What a coincidence I was only watching that Singapore race last night and there is no doubt Vettel should be apportioned some blame, between them the Ferrari made Mad Max a sandwich and he had nowhere to go.  That said the main blame should have been placed on Raikkonen it was his contact with Max (which was caused by Vettels sudden move) that really caused all three of them to crash out (and eventually as a result Alonso who had an amazing start in that race)!

I think Ferrari start as slight favourites for this race but having said that despite it being holiday time I am certain both teams will bring some upgrades and mods to the race so it may be a case of who has made the better progress wins. I dont think there is a much better sound in F1 than the cars racing past on the Kemmel straight. It sounds like a swarm of wasps and thunders in to a deafening crescendo!

I am envious Jody!

Was there a few years ago, fantastic circuit, but somewhat out of the way, still remember being amazed standing at the bottom of Eau Rouge, at just how steep it is, watching F1 cars going over the top is amazing! 

Tend to agree re Singapore all three of them had a part to play in it, but guess what thats what happens sometimes in motor racing. Its not the first time it happened and it wont be the last, they've all made mistakes at some point!

(01-08-2018, 09:57 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I do attribute blame for Singapore squarely at Sebs door I'm afraid. Nothing else really Max could've done, and Kimi was given instructions to try and jump Max at the start, and Vettel's aggressive switch across the track caused the collision. It was, again, needlessly reckless. There were other instances of Seb mistakes last year also, but no question, Ferrari dropped the ball. If you look at it, on pace they should have converted Bsku (although without the Safety Cars / red flag they wouldn't have been in it), Monza, Singapore, Russia, Malaysia, USA, Mexico and arguably Suzuka into wins. Their car was quick enough, more than quick enough, just that Mercedes were the better team and executed perfectly, and yeah, Hamilton was the better driver. This year there have been a few errors in Ferrari's decisions, but overall they're executing superbly well, it's Mercedes making mistakes and bungling things so far, and Mercedes with the mechanical woes. If Seb doesn't win the WDC this year it'll be down to him, and his mistakes I think. Ferrari look a much better team this year, and their car is clearly ahead.

Spa? Well I'm going so I hope I see a great race, I have a sneaky suspicion, that unless Mercedes strap a rocket to their car that Seb and Ferrari should be favourites.

Obviously we see it from different perspectives, and its certainly not my view, but everybody is entitled to their opinion.

As to who has the better car this year, as James Allison said, they are evenly matched, Merc are better in some areas Ferrari in others, that's the way I see it, and that is what the evidence shows, they are a match for each other this year, which is surely what we all want. 

Whichever driver loses it will have to shoulder some of the responsibility, I keep saying it, its a team sport , the driver cant claim credit solely when he wins it, nor can he accept full responsibility when he loses it.
[+] 4 users Like F1 Fan's post