McLaren: Fresh investment

So which team will move from Mercedes Power effectively making way for McLaren.....Williams or RP?

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(27-09-2019, 06:07 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  So which team will move from Mercedes Power effectively making way for McLaren.....Williams or RP?

My memory lol...…   

Didn't we hear RP were courting Ferrari? 

What was it Ron said before giving up Mercedes for Honda? some thing like "no team can win a WC using customer engines" 

As much as I believe Fernando can drive he should have kept his gob shut with Honda, what could have been huh?   Dodgy

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Cant remember Paps, either way one of them will be "moving on"

edit: seems (if true) EJ wasnt far wrong back in middle of July....

Former Jordan Boss Predicts McLaren Reuniting with Mercedes
By Dhruv George -July 15, 2019
https://www.essentiallysports.com/former...-mercedes/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

While they may not be the best engine out there output wise, they are still good on the reliability somewhat, despite the failures on some of the customer teams, they are still green and on target for season allocated elements.

One hopes it is a good move, as they have alot of previous knowledge from working with Merc for so many years before the Honda venture.

One main factor though, is that the Midfield is hugely mixed with all the customer teams. So seeing Renualt in said midfield as a factory team, is probably the alarm bell that is driving the switch.

However, there still needs to be a huge improvement on the chassis side. They are still 1s+ a lap behind the lead pack, and majority of that is down to the chassis. Progress is evident this year, and one hopes they continue this drive and can bridge the gap somewhat next year. Slightly annoying thing is, we've said this every year, and the big anticipated steps expected from McLaren, hasn't come.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(27-09-2019, 06:07 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  So which team will move from Mercedes Power effectively making way for McLaren.....Williams or RP?

If I were a betting man (but I am not) I would say the odds on favourites were Racing Point. That said both Williams and Racing point have been linked with Renault have they not?

I do not get why Williams would even think about it. Close ties to Mercedes and the Renault engine is more expensive and certainly not as good in terms of speed or reliability.

There again this is Williams so maybe it is them!!!!
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

McLaren
@McLarenF1
McLaren Racing and Renault Sport confirm that their F1 power unit supply agreement will not continue when the current three-year contract expires at the end of 2020.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/inside-th...it-supply/

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

So they're going back to Merc -> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/49859259

Could be a case of very unfortunate timing. Unless Brackley can come up with something stellar to compete with Ferrari then a Merc engine isn't that desirable anymore.

(28-09-2019, 11:07 AM)morini Wrote:  Unless Brackley can come up with something stellar to compete with Ferrari then a Merc engine isn't that desirable anymore.

Wouldn't mind one in my old 4x4  Wink

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Wow lots of people jumping ship on Mercedes Power Units I mean they have only won what all the Championships in the turbo hybrid era.

How do we know that this performance from Ferrari will not come with a reliability cost?

Do we even know if the the performance is all about the engine?

Do we know Mercedes are powerless to do anything about it?

I am not writing off Mercedes, absolutely not.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

Yes Papa, I brought it up weeks ago after one of my paddock spies told me RP were looking to move away from Mercedes. At the time I was surprised and said it was just silly rumours season. However, we know that Williams have secured Mercedes power long term also, so maybe RP were told to find some other donkey.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post