Is Leclerc doing enough?

Putting Seb below Alonso, Hamilton and Kubica, is no shame, I'm no Seb fan, but these 3 are the best of their generation as far as I'm concerned, records and titles aside - Seb is very, very good - but despite 4 titles, he was never in this league for me Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 1 user Likes Foghorn Leghorn's post

(24-09-2018, 08:10 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  Putting Seb below Alonso, Hamilton and Kubica, is no shame, I'm no Seb fan, but these 3 are the best of their generation as far as I'm concerned, records and titles aside - Seb is very, very good - but despite 4 titles, he was never in this league for me Smile

Kubica over Vettel?? Not too sure about that personally, Kubica was a rising star no doubt but sadly never achieved his full potential due to the injury, so can we say fairly he is better than Vettel? Not saying he couldn’t of been better, but it’s theoretical really

(24-09-2018, 09:47 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  
(24-09-2018, 08:10 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  

Kubica over Vettel??

Agree Lotus. it is purely theoretical, but Suzuka 2010, I believe, where he had to leave a press briefing because he was sheet white after the effort, and both Alonso and Lewis said he was one of the best they'd ever seen, and it wasn't for sentiment, they said this,

But yes, unfortunately we'll never know, much like seeing Alonso, in a competitive car, Ce La vie, we can only speculate, but for my money, Kubica, was / is a better driver than Seb, and Seb continues to let himself down, these last 2 years, whereas Lewis and Nando have excelled, albeit in a slightly different category Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 1 user Likes Foghorn Leghorn's post

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/artic...qCAyK.html

Good for you Charlie!

You don't need to fear Vettel, just go out and beat him. Very feasible given the way he has driven (the best car) this year.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(17-10-2018, 11:53 AM)morini Wrote:  https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/artic...qCAyK.html

Good for you Charlie!

You don't need to fear Vettel, just go out and beat him. Very feasible given the way he has driven (the best car) this year.

Interesting to see "if" Charles can shine against Sebastian in the way Lewis did with Fernando, genuinely looking forward to see what this kid can do, I posted else where, I like him & I wish him well, hoping in the years to come he's one of the men to challenge in the coming "Max years"   Laughing

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra...r/4300563/

Ferrari must make sure it's "ready" to handle Leclerc.

Ferrari must be "ready" to manage its "brave" decision to promote Charles Leclerc to a race seat next season, according to the Formula 1 team's leading engineer Jock Clear.

Leclerc will become the second-youngest driver in the Italian team's famous F1 history when he replaces 2007 world champion Kimi Raikkonen next season.

The 21-year-old Sauber driver only made his grand prix debut this year but starring performances have helped him earn an immediate graduation to Ferrari alongside Sebastian Vettel.

Asked by Motorsport.com about the importance of managing Leclerc, Clear said: "One of the comments that many people made was 'is he ready?' – well, we have to be ready as well.

"Ferrari have to be ready to take this step. It is a brave step that Ferrari has made, and we're all pleased about the fact that we're willing to make that step.

"But we have to be ready to give him the opportunity and support him in the right way.
"Hopefully he'll go on to great things. I think the relationship with Seb will be important.

"We need to manage that very positively and make sure the team as a whole grows, not just on Charles's side and not just on Seb's side."

Leclerc went on to finish best-of-the-rest behind Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari in Brazil, securing his second 'Class B' victory in five races.

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

https://www.motorsport.com/general/news/...e/4307689/

Autosport Awards: Leclerc is Rookie of the Year.

Future Ferrari Formula 1 driver Charles Leclerc has won the Richard Mille Rookie of the Year at the 2018 Autosport Awards.

He makes it back-to-back victories of the award, having first won it off the back of his dominant Formula 2 success in 2017. Leclerc then had a stunning breakthrough F1 season at Sauber in 2018.

Leclerc also spoke about his new team-mate for 2019, Sebastian Vettel.

"I will have a lot to learn, it is totally new for me and it is quite a big leap," said Leclerc.

"It is an honour to have a champion like him alongside me."

The Monegasque driver won the award ahead of IndyCar rookie Robert Wickens, F1 rival Pierre Gasly, FE star Andre Lotterer and 2018 F2 rivals George Russell and Lando Norris.

No surprise is it, like others really looking forward to watching this lad in a Ferrari, also for the future battles with Max, in my opinion the brightest bunch of youngsters in years.

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Leclerc is honestly the best rookie I've seen since Lewis Hamilton, I know we've had Vettel and Verstappen since then, but both Leclerc and Hamilton had that ability to be levelheaded at a young age, they're both impetuous, but then there were those moments when they showed maturity beyond their years, that ability to play the averages, live to fight another day. Prost, Schumacher, Lauda, Senna... they all had those cold calculating minds, lizard brains if you will, that just know how to be ruthless or when to be zen calm.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(03-12-2018, 11:04 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Leclerc is honestly the best rookie I've seen since Lewis Hamilton, I know we've had Vettel and Verstappen since then, but both Leclerc and Hamilton had that ability to be levelheaded at a young age, they're both impetuous, but then there were those moments when they showed maturity beyond their years, that ability to play the averages, live to fight another day. Prost, Schumacher, Lauda, Senna... they all had those cold calculating minds, lizard brains if you will, that just know how to be ruthless or when to be zen calm.

I think I agree. He looks to have all the ingredients.

Reserving my judgement until we see how he does in the front running car. Hamiltons rookie year was sensational, but then he was straight into a potential WDC winning car so it is not really fair to compare their rookie years. I hope the pressure of being in a Ferrari doesn't affect his performance and he's allowed to relax and enjoy it.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Morini, judgement should always be reserved, I rated Leclerc very, very highly in junior formula, and both Lando and Russell have impressed me greatly over the last two years. Ocon is the one of the youngsters who I think is still the unknown quantity for me. He looks superb at times, but generally goes about his business in an unflappable way, it's those drivers who tend to just get on with it while appearing rapid that I struggle to gauge, in junior formula Ocon was pretty sensational, Gasly too has quietly impressed me, it'll be interesting to see how he goes up against Max next year. Also really pleased to see Giovinazzi finally given his chance, because he is a very rapid driver over one lap. Truth is as the old guard drop off, we clearly have a great bunch of youngsters coming through the ranks.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post