2018 Bahrain GP

(11-04-2018, 07:53 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Good question, I know there is a rule for pit exit where you cant cross the line.
I'm gonna say, with out looking it up, it's ok to do in a safe manner.

pretty sure it's only on the exit, the entry doesn't count, lots of times drivers have crossed the entry line, unless they changed this rule

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

(11-04-2018, 08:21 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  
(11-04-2018, 07:53 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Good question, I know there is a rule for pit exit where you cant cross the line.
I'm gonna say, with out looking it up, it's ok to do in a safe manner.

pretty sure it's only on the exit, the entry doesn't count, lots of times drivers have crossed the entry line, unless they changed this rule

looks like my old grey matter isnt what it used to be, dont know, might have interpreted it wrong.....or just dreamed the hole bloody thing up lol

A quick search found this, seems it was just Baku and not all tracks

The FIA is to make some minor changes to the Baku track overnight in response to issues that arose when the cars ran for the first time today.
After problems with kerb retaining bolts coming loose and causing cut left rear tyres in FP, the exit kerbs at Turns 6 and 12 will be removed, and replaced with painted versions.

During FP2 teams were told by the FIA to ask their drivers to avoid the kerb at Turn 6, which was believed to be responsible for the tyre issues seen in the first session.

The apex kerb is also being removed from Turn 13, although it is not actually used as the racing line.

As expected, the pit entry was a subject of much debate at the Friday drivers' briefing, and not just because of the potential of a major accident occurring at the tight chicane if someone gets it wrong.

Drivers confirmed that, because of undulations on the main straight, they found it hard to see the pit entry white line.

As such, the line is to be extended further back and moved to the left, while its beginning will also be marked with a new pit entry sign.

It is understood that, for safety reasons, drivers will not be allowed to cross the white line, in either direction, so they can't make a late change of mind about whether to pit or not.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

It’s the same at Interlagos too isn’t it? Since the natural racing line cuts through the pit entry

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 2 users Like Purple-banana's post

(11-04-2018, 09:10 PM)Purple-banana Wrote:  It’s the same at Interlagos too isn’t it? Since the natural racing line cuts through the pit entry

Shit thats right, forgot about that one, when I saw the Haas heading towards the pit lane then swerving left back onto the main straight something made me think there was a ruling about that...turns out there was....just at Baku though....or is there other tracks ?....maybe one for Jody

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Austria does the same in regards to the racing line. But as with Baku I think a directive was issued to be inside the white line when pitting, although not entirely sure. I know I completely ignore pit entry lines in the game.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

The pit lane entry lines can be crossed either to go into the pits or to cross so as not to enter. Baku was a special case I think, and it was Kimi who was done for it at Baku and it was really slight.

Obviously with the usual caveat of not being dangerous, the Baku pit entry is super dangerous.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricci...n-1025207/

Daniel Ricciardo believes his Red Bull teammate Max Verstappen was "a little too greedy" and squeezed Lewis Hamilton too much in their controversial Bahrain Grand Prix clash.
Verstappen dived inside Hamilton at Turn 1 at the start of the second lap and was almost clear of the Mercedes before his left-rear wheel made contact with Hamilton's right front.
That damaged the rim on Verstappen's car and caused an immediate puncture, which led to the differential being terminally wounded as he limped back to the pits.
Hamilton and Verstappen disagreed over who was to blame for the clash, but Ricciardo said on Thursday in China that the young Dutchman was at fault.
"I'll be honest," said Ricciardo. "It didn't deserve a penalty so that was fine.
"But it reminded me a little bit of me and [Nico] Rosberg in Budapest [in 2015] where he kept coming and I was on the exit kerb and had nowhere else to go.
"I think Max had the move [completed] already, I just don't think he needed to run all the way to the kerb.
"I think regardless Max would have stayed ahead, he was just a little too greedy."
Hamilton said Verstappen was a "dickhead" immediately after the race in the room the top three drivers wait in before the podium ceremony.
He claimed he had forfeited the corner, and Ricciardo agreed Hamilton could not have done more to avoid it.
"I heard some people say Lewis could have lifted but you're there, unless he turned off the track or braked…it's easier said than done," he said.
"Lewis was so tight [to the outside of the track] as well, he wasn't going to make Turn 2 with any form of speed.
"Even if Max had hung around the outside [through Turn 2] I just think Max would have had him regardless. He squeezed him a little too much in my opinion."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

Honestly, I agree with Ricciardo... and pretty much every driver past and present who has commented. Did it warrant a penalty? No. Max put himself out of the race. Was it Max's fault? Yes, absolutely. Will he learn? Hopefully.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

@Paps - Sums up my initial and "subsequent watching" views on the Max/Ham overtake. I still don't quite understand why Hamilton was so slow and cautious in the opening couple of laps at Bahrain, but in the interests of an exiting season I want a clean weekend from Mercedes in China.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(12-04-2018, 04:50 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricci...n-1025207/

Daniel Ricciardo believes his Red Bull teammate Max Verstappen was "a little too greedy" and squeezed Lewis Hamilton too much in their controversial Bahrain Grand Prix clash.
Verstappen dived inside Hamilton at Turn 1 at the start of the second lap and was almost clear of the Mercedes before his left-rear wheel made contact with Hamilton's right front.
That damaged the rim on Verstappen's car and caused an immediate puncture, which led to the differential being terminally wounded as he limped back to the pits.
Hamilton and Verstappen disagreed over who was to blame for the clash, but Ricciardo said on Thursday in China that the young Dutchman was at fault.
"I'll be honest," said Ricciardo. "It didn't deserve a penalty so that was fine.
"But it reminded me a little bit of me and [Nico] Rosberg in Budapest [in 2015] where he kept coming and I was on the exit kerb and had nowhere else to go.
"I think Max had the move [completed] already, I just don't think he needed to run all the way to the kerb.
"I think regardless Max would have stayed ahead, he was just a little too greedy."
Hamilton said Verstappen was a "dickhead" immediately after the race in the room the top three drivers wait in before the podium ceremony.
He claimed he had forfeited the corner, and Ricciardo agreed Hamilton could not have done more to avoid it.
"I heard some people say Lewis could have lifted but you're there, unless he turned off the track or braked…it's easier said than done," he said.
"Lewis was so tight [to the outside of the track] as well, he wasn't going to make Turn 2 with any form of speed.
"Even if Max had hung around the outside [through Turn 2] I just think Max would have had him regardless. He squeezed him a little too much in my opinion."
I was watching this again today and I am struggling to agree with Ric here, As he is coming into to turn1 he is rapidly catching Alonso due to later braking so moves left, yes it squeezes LH but it just cannot be helped at that stage as Lewis is braking just as late as Max intending to go round the outside, the split second after avoiding hitting Alonso and it is really really close, you can see him turning hard right on the steering wheel. To say Max is at fault is harsh imo but hey we all have one don't we.
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post