2018 Bahrain GP

[Image: C9d1mi_XkAAT7wh.jpg:large]

[Image: C9jFwUrXUAEof5_.jpg]

[Image: C9jn9CeXUAArMe5.jpg]

[Image: DZW2jyMW4AE03_w.jpg]

[Image: Z8F2MWK.png]

With the comment made earlier this week that we could see more DRS zones added to tracks. Bahrain track is probably a guarantee. Probably for two new zones, each hopefully with their own detection zones, enabling counter attacking.

Between corners:-
3-4
13-14

The second straight between corners 3 & 4 usually offers alot of overtaking attempts naturally. So maybe adding a DRS zone could cheapen the show. I'd like to see one between 13 & 14, as it could throw up some interesting fights into the last corner, that could then compromise the long start finish straight, causing closer racing.

Be interesting to see if McLaren testing focus on the softer tyre compounds will pay off with their "aggressive" tyre selection. A few things indicated last race their car is kind on tyres. We'll know alot more about chassis tyre care from all teams after this race.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Rear limited, so if Merc do have a problem with eating rear tyres here is where it will show up. Expect Ferrari to go well here given they were top of the speed traps, also expected Renault to do OK as well. They looked like they were kind on their rests in Australia. Predicted two stop race apparently, but I expect one stop.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Got to agree with the one stop Jody, mulled over it, and there was hardly any drop off during the last race. Bahrain is more demanding but these tyre are showing signs of never ending. FP2 will let us know.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(28-03-2018, 05:59 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Got to agree with the one stop Jody, mulled over it, and there was hardly any drop off during the last race. Bahrain is more demanding but these tyre are showing signs of never ending. FP2 will let us know.

Plus harder compounds than Melbourne too. I can't see past a one stopper either.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

They'll start on the super soft tyres zip round for 20+ laps in formation, as night time descends and track temps cool, switch to the soft, or medium depending of which your car prefers blitz lap in, blitz lap out, maintain speed for few laps post pitstop to ensure no under cuts / over cuts, settle into rythm and formation... engine save till end of seas... sorry, I mean race.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

I thought Pirelli were supposed to mix it up a bit this season? Three gazillion different compounds and the races still look like being one stoppers!

[perhaps too early to say that yet, but that is what it looks like]

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.
[+] 2 users Like The Professor's post

The Professor I think part of the problem is engine saving, and the other is improved aerodynamics leading to less tyre wear...

But riddle me this. These cars are much faster, we can see this from Lewis' pole, and the quality runs. But ponder me this, Australian GP race times:

2017 = 1:24
2018 = 1:29

Safety cars similar, so not that... and track conditions better this year too. But the race was significantly slower. Reason? Engine saving. The teams were consistently putting in slower laps than last year. So the teams aren't leaning on the tyres as hard.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

2017 = 1:24
2018 = 1:29

Good point Jody, I never caught on to this

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Forza, there were less laps under SC and VSC this year according to the F1 site, so that doesn't explain it being 5 minutes plus longer. If you include seconds this year's race was closer to 6 minutes longer.

Given the nature of the Bahrain GP, and given these cars, if the Bahrain GP is longer (SC and VSC adjusted) I think it'll confirm my fears. The teams are saving engines and pootling about way below what they should be. Throw in the Halo and there you have it.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

https://formulaone21.wordpress.com/2018/...preview-2/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post