Hamiltons best ever year?

Per Sky link

Not so sure on that myself, I think he was equally impressive in 2016, just didn't get the rub of the green. As to that sky article, Hamilton is better in every department and would have won this year even if he swapped cars with Vettel.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(23-12-2017, 10:31 AM)morini Wrote:  Per Sky link

Not so sure on that myself, I think he was equally impressive in 2016, just didn't get the rub of the green. As to that sky article, Hamilton is better in every department and would have won this year even if he swapped cars with Vettel.

Personally I dont think this was Lewis`s best ever year, there was a few outstanding moments, most notably in qualifying. Do I think Lewis could have won this year in a Ferrari?....probably.....Was he the best driver overall this year...yes

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(23-12-2017, 10:31 AM)morini Wrote:  Not so sure on that myself, I think he was equally impressive in 2016, just didn't get the rub of the green. As to that sky article, Hamilton is better in every department and would have won this year even if he swapped cars with Vettel.

(23-12-2017, 11:16 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Personally I dont think this was Lewis`s best ever year, there was a few outstanding moments, most notably in qualifying. Do I think Lewis could have won this year in a Ferrari?....probably.....Was he the best driver overall this year...yes

Agree with both posts.

Personally I think Ham was the best driver this year and last. I know folks will whinge and say Rosberg was better in 2016 because he took the title. Well, I really struggle with that concept - Hamilton won one more race (and everyone knows it really should have been two). Rosberg had a brilliant and consistent year in 2016 and I do not begrudge him his title. He put himself in the position to capitalise on some luck, so fair play to him. Was Rosberg the best driver over the 2016 season? No. Not in my opinion anyway.

YMMV.

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.
[+] 2 users Like The Professor's post

Hamilton has been driving brilliantly this year and last, there have been some truly outstanding drives, Spa being a prime example, his drive at Suzuka was top notch as well. Best season? Really difficult to quantify, he had a real challenge from outside the team AND from a 4 time WDC at that. At times he really had to be perfect, and he was, but I think he’s had better seasons. It’ll be interesting to see if he can maintain this high standard next year.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

2015 has been his best (so far ofc). Others self destruction (Ferrari) and poor performances (self confessed from Bottas) have exaggerated Lewis performances, in my opinion. When the Mercedes car worked he worked, when it didn't he didn't.

Was Spa that great Jody? No mistakes were made, sure(except the lock up on the warm up lap : P), but none from Vettle neither. Mercs top speed got the Spa win, as was evident when ever the Ferrari pulled up along side the Merc half way down the Kemmel straight(easily on two occasions) the Ferrari would hit the limit and the Merc had 4-5kph more , it's all you need to stay ahead, slipstream or not. Silverstone his best drive this season, he's got the race in the bag for years to come.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

I can see where you are coming from Monster Hesh on Spa, however the speed trap at the end of the Kemel straight put Vettel above Hamilton in the speed trap, and I think the reason the drive was so good was because Vettel was right on his tail, in a quicker car that day to boot, making zero mistakes as well. With that sort of pressure, with the safety car as well, on the slower tyre... yeah, I think Hamilton had to earn that win. I went back and watched the race after reading your comment to make sure I wasn’t elevating the performance unnecessarily, I don’t think I was, Vettel drive was also amazing that day. After the safety car, within 3 laps both were 5 seconds ahead of the chasing pack and driving right on the edge. Honestly, they were magnificent that day.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

For some reason I'm never really impressed with Hamilton's drives, best car/PU for years etc. I don't see him extracting that extra bit from the car when needed, as said above: when the Merc is good, Hamilton is good. When the Merc has an off day Hamilton has one as well. Still rate Alonso higher in that department. Apart from that, never liked the guy's persona, not since he started. Something really fake about the guy. He is quick though..
[+] 2 users Like ReneSpeksnijder's post

(29-12-2017, 10:31 AM)ReneSpeksnijder Wrote:  For some reason I'm never really impressed with Hamilton's drives, best car/PU for years etc. I don't see him extracting that extra bit from the car when needed, as said above: when the Merc is good, Hamilton is good. When the Merc has an off day Hamilton has one as well. Still rate Alonso higher in that department. Apart from that, never liked the guy's persona, not since he started. Something really fake about the guy. He is quick though..

Missed this post somehow!

Anyway, I have the complete opposite opinion (and I'm not disrespecting your opinion here Rene, you are entitled to your view and I respect it). But, I see Hamilton extracting everything and more from the car during most qualy sessions. Whether he is in a Merc that everyone and his dog *thinks* is the fastest, or a mid field McLaren, he is still the only driver who makes me sit on the edge of my seat come qualifying. And that is because he has a track record of delivering everything the car has to offer when it really matters. Sure he's had off sessions, but more often than not he is the driver everyone want's to watch come Q2 / Q3. Fast car past few years, yes, but you've still got to deliver every time to get to 72 poles.

Fact is, the Merc wasn't the fastest car at a lot of tracks in 2017. I'm not talking about absolute top speed and power, but real world average time to get around a track. The driver made the difference this year (sorry if that irks everyone) and I would bet my house that if Vettel and Hamilton were in each others cars in 2017 Hamilton would still have out qualified and out raced him. I hope Max delivers his promise over the next few years because there's been no other driver since I was a youngster who has been as exiting to watch as Hamilton.

For me, Vettel is simply not in the same league.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Morini we’ve had this discussion before. For outright pace this year the Ferrari was clearly fastest at 8 of the tracks, and nip and tuck at a further 5. Had Lewis been in the Ferrari this year I think he’d have won too. As to Vettel being in the same league? Time will tell. I still rate Vettel, and at times this year he drove brilliantly, but it is starting to look like he might not be quite top tier... which sounds mental given he’s won 4 WDC’s, two of which he absolutely thoroughly deserved.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Off Topic: Vettle

I'm wondering whether it's the Ferrari atmosphere. It just seems to be strict, no fun, personnel always being messed about or fired because of a small lull, no stability. Red Bull seem complete opposite, free and fun loving (unless you're Kyvatt). Seb attitude seems perfect for RedBull, he is always engaging, throwing around quips and jokos. Wondering whether that had an impact on why he just seemed to waver his top tier status.

I too really rate Vettle always have, so glad he was back at the front last year. Really enjoy his qualifying laps, final Q3 flyer, always fastest of the weekend. His first half of the season was certainly elevated top tier, China especially.

I gonna contrast with you here Jody and say if you did swap HAM and VET, VET would of been WDC last year in the Merc. : P