Kubica no longer in the frame for Williams drive

I said his times didn’t look good, and essentially his low fuel laps were slower than Stroll, on faster compound tyres to boot, which, well isn’t good:

http://www.thenews.pl/1/5/Artykul/339408...ams-report

So apparently Sirotkin is preferred, so Williams now do need two paid drivers (Kubica brought with him some hefty funding too) because according to Williams sources Di Resta was the quickest out of those in contention, although to be fair Sirotkin is no slouch and deserves a shot at F1. Shame Wehrlein isn’t older, with his talent, and Merc money he’d have been a shoe-in.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(13-12-2017, 09:50 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I said his times didn’t look good, and essentially his low fuel laps were slower than Stroll, on faster compound tyres to boot, which, well isn’t good:

http://www.thenews.pl/1/5/Artykul/339408...ams-report

So apparently Sirotkin is preferred, so Williams now do need two paid drivers (Kubica brought with him some hefty funding too) because according to Williams sources Di Resta was the quickest out of those in contention, although to be fair Sirotkin is no slouch and deserves a shot at F1. Shame Wehrlein isn’t older, with his talent, and Merc money he’d have been a shoe-in.

Hmmm, if Wehrlein is such a talent, why is he not driving that 2nd Merc then?

Jody - "Shame Wehrlein isn’t older"

? strange Jody, the first time I think you've ever said something wrong, unless I'm missing something - Sorotkin is 22 and Pascal is 23 - also as Paddy Lowe has always stated the age thing was never a definite barrier as Di Resta as reserve driver can do the promo stuff for Martini and I've heard Pascal does not play well with others - though complete hearsay on my part there Smile

Rene - "why is he not driving that 2nd Merc then?"

Toto has said already that Merc will only take seasoned experienced drivers for the Merc Team - I don't think 2 seasons qualifies, and Bottas while having a very patchy season may well improve a lot next year, but he did just enough to warrant keeping his seat for one more year Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

@Foghorn you’re right, I read an article that stated he was 25 earlier this week, that’s obviously wrong.

As to Wehrlein not playing well with others? That’s not quite accurate, many drivers seem to forget on with him and his DTM team mates got on well with him. The issue is he doesn’t / didn’t take engineer instructions well. Well known to have a chip on his shoulder.

As to not driving a !er , I agree, Toto said they’ll only take proven F1 drivers into the team because the brand is too important. I think regardless of how well Bottas does (unless he wins the WDC) in 2019 he’ll be gone, and at this rate you’d expect Ricciardo or Ocon to be in the frame.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

So, Williams big announcement today didn't happen....I take it the cheque hasn't cleared yet Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(13-12-2017, 07:04 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  Toto has said already that Merc will only take seasoned experienced drivers for the Merc Team - I don't think 2 seasons qualifies, and Bottas while having a very patchy season may well improve a lot next year, but he did just enough to warrant keeping his seat for one more year Smile

Totally agree on the Bottas "watch this space bit".

Fog, I am going to have to invest a little bit of time into (trying to) teach you how to quote a post without making it completely unreadable for everyone else :-)

Basically, simple rule, always make sure there is a line which starts "[ "quote (blah long reference number)" ]" at the start

Edit out anything you want to remove in between the "quote" and (end) "/quote"  tags.

Make sure there is a "[ 'quote' ]" at the end of the text you want to quote.

Type your reply underneath all this (and use the preview post button to see how your post will appear). If you've done it right the text you are quoting will appear in a nice neat box. Hopefully this will avoid all the messy replies. Do some experimenting and I'm sure you'll work it out.

But if you don't, it's all good :-) We'll all still love you!
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(15-12-2017, 09:08 PM)morini Wrote:  Fog, I am going to have to invest a little bit of time into (trying to) teach you

Haha - Cheers M - I was going to report that message - but the remembered who I'd be reporting to, haha - How'd I do? I may not know this stuff but I'm not a thicko, simple instructions very welcome,  - will be annoyed though if Papa already gets it, we seem to be on the same level on this stuff haha Smile

was going to ask you how you put a pic in your signature box as I tried this and it said a load of waffle about a link and when tried this in the user cp bit, it just came up with the link address and not the pic - 

Ahh - post preview is the ticket - cheers bud

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 2 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

(15-12-2017, 09:27 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  
(15-12-2017, 09:08 PM)morini Wrote:  Fog, I am going to have to invest a little bit of time into (trying to) teach you

Ahh - post preview is the ticket - cheers bud

Beautifully quoted reply. Well done that man!
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12476/1...il-january

Between Sirotkin and Kvyat. Who would you pick (yes, we all want Wehrlein, but he is out it seems, and unfortunately)?
I, to be honest, don't even know Sirotkin and still think Kvyat has potential (never will be top material, but is Sirotkin? Can Wiliams afford top material?). Or is it just wich of them brings the most money with them?

(16-12-2017, 12:08 AM)Antilochos Wrote:  Can Wiliams afford top material?). Or is it just wich of them brings the most money with them?

Wellll... Massa seemed to indicate shortly after the summer break that Williams had indicated they’d be willing to keep him on if he could generate more sponsorship money. He couldn’t, and now he’s gone. Di Resta, who Williams have all but admitted was the quickest option seemingly isn’t even in the ball park and he brings a small dowry with him, so you’d have to say the decision seems a mostly financial one.

As to Sirotkin? Compared to Kubica’s times he was quicker, and consistently so, and not by a small amount. Ironically not quicker than Stroll though, but there or thereabouts. Sirotkin’s record in junior Formula is not a patch on Kvyat or Wehrlein’s though, and in junior Formula Wehrlein schooled him. So I don’t know. He did provide some exceptional drives when younger, but sporadically so! and his Renault 3.5 career / GP2 career doesn’t really make for inspired reading. At top teams for long periods, consistently shown up by rookies...

Still quicker than Kubica, and that should, read ‘SHOULD’ spell the end of Kubica... but he has a boatload of cash.