2021 Preview

Its been a while since I attempted a proper post on here (Thank goodness for that I hear in the cries from the peanut gallery). Well its time to put that right!

Sadly Covid-19 is still with us and will quite probably have even more effect on the up coming season than it has even so far.  On a positive note we do not have to watch the boring Australian GP as the first race. I understand Bahrain is not a big attraction to many in the banter followers but at least there will be some overtaking as opposed to the processional race Albert Park would provide.

First thing that arises who will be this years WDC.  Well its very hard to look past Lewis Hamilton, I think he will be pushed a lot harder this year by both his team mate and of course Max Verstappen. There could well be some surprises in store depending on how the cars perform in pre season and we should all keep an eye on Ferrari. I cannot see them being where they were last year and adding Carlos Sainz absolutely makes it a much stronger team.

WCC, again its very hard to look beyond Mercedes. I think their closest rival will again be Red Bull. I am predicting a much closer and maybe even close battle as I think several teams have the ability to score big points in individual races and hence taking points off each other. I do not think outside of these two teams anyone can win the title but 3/4/5 could be very interesting indeed.

Some media outlets are predicting different drivers standing on top of the podium this year but I do not see that. Outside of the Mercedes and Red Bull drivers its possible in any given race someone else could win ala Gasly last year but I truly do not see it as they do.  I can see Leclerc, Sainz, Ricciardo and maybe Norris standing up there in the minor places but outside of that I doubt it.

I think we will probably see the so called Midfield being super competitive but I can absolutely see some considerable distance between say 3rd through 6th  and 7th through 10th.  I have Ferrari/McLaren/Aston Martin/Alpine being well ahead of Haas/Williams/Alpha Tauri/Alfa Romeo.

Its those 3rd through 6th placed teams in my post I expect most of the excitement to be. Ferrari will bounce back, McLaren have progressed very well and have a really nice driver line up.  Aston Martin and Alpine I am not sure about; is Vettel an upgrade on Perez, maybe. Is Alonso an upgrade on Ricciardo, maybe but I think not.  Ocon and Stroll do not excite me at all.

Twenty two races and a lot of extra travel due to schedule changes will be very challenging for the teams especially to those who do all the grunt work behind the scenes (Who never get enough credit)  There will of course be a lot of speculation about the 2022 season with driver movement and of course changes to the cars specifications but that is nothing new in F1

Hoping we get some more people posting on here or at the least back to a more normal season.  Always interesting to see opinions and thoughts of others. Nearer the start we should have a competition predicting certain things and post our own "Champion"  Until then I wish you all well.
[+] 5 users Like NeilP's post

Bloody fucking reasonable preview Neil. Leaves nothing else for us to add and worse, to argue about.
So yeah, I agree with everything you said.

About time the testing starts and gives us more stuff to speculate on.
[+] 4 users Like Antilochos's post

(28-02-2021, 09:10 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Bloody fucking reasonable preview Neil. Leaves nothing else for us to add and worse, to argue about.
So yeah, I agree with everything you said.

About time the testing starts and gives us more stuff to speculate on.

Testing is a double edged sword for me. On the one hand it is great to see the cars back in action after a fallow winter, on the other the baseless speculation irritates the hell out of me.

Anyway, I hope the whole F1 circus gets vaccinated before the season starts. Would hate to see the championship influenced by drivers missing races. I want to see it won or lost on the track.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(28-02-2021, 10:35 PM)morini Wrote:  Anyway, I hope the whole F1 circus gets vaccinated before the season starts. Would hate to see the championship influenced by drivers missing races. I want to see it won or lost on the track.

Read this yesterday...Bahrain has offered to vaccinate against Covid all personnel attending the Grand Prix..... F1 "has no plans to be vaccinated as a travelling group ahead of the already established rollout of vaccines through the health system in the UK"

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(01-03-2021, 09:38 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(28-02-2021, 10:35 PM)morini Wrote:  Anyway, I hope the whole F1 circus gets vaccinated before the season starts. Would hate to see the championship influenced by drivers missing races. I want to see it won or lost on the track.

Read this yesterday...Bahrain has offered to vaccinate against Covid all personnel attending the Grand Prix..... F1 "has no plans to be vaccinated as a travelling group ahead of the already established rollout of vaccines through the health system in the UK"

The management of F1 indeed said no to the offer, the teams and drivers still need to follow in that (but probably will).
Do we know when the F1 people are planned for vaccination?
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

(01-03-2021, 10:18 AM)Antilochos Wrote:  
(01-03-2021, 09:38 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(28-02-2021, 10:35 PM)morini Wrote:  Anyway, I hope the whole F1 circus gets vaccinated before the season starts. 

The management of F1 indeed said no to the offer, Do we know when the F1 people are planned for vaccination?

Nice 1st post Neil.  

Found this on Planet F1.

Eight of the 10 teams currently on the grid are at least partially based in the United Kingdom and FIA president Stefano Domenicali said recently "We don't want to jump the line of vaccination."

Fair play Stefano.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Tickets for the Bahrain gp have went on sale, only persons who have recovered from Covid or who have been vaccinated will be permitted

https://www.bahraingp.com/formula-1/latest/

Anyone worked out how you consume your food/beverage while wearing a mask at all times?  Tongue

Seb & Lance on track at Silverstone today

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Only 3 days testing really is a deep cut. There is a core fan base that thrived on the previous years of two weeks/8 days testing. i was awesome, 8 full days, after a winter off, man I'm gonna miss it.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

F1 confirms Portimao will be round 3 of the season taking place on May 2nd.

WADA are currently "looking into" Haas and their colour Russian flag based colour scheme, under current regulations Marzipan (therefore Haas) is prohibited from using or displaying national emblems, flags, symbols, the word Russia/Russian on his clothes or equipment and racing cannot race under his native Russian flag.

Haas have responded by claiming its livery was not designed to circumvate the CAS ruling.