Honda Quit F1

Had heard this was a possibility, but it's bad news for the sport:

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...021-season
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

I'm not shocked, but it is a damn shame. F1 need to entice another engine manufacturer and quickly. The 2022 gen onwards PUs will still be hybrids but much cheaper and simpler (that was what I interpreted from Brawns statements). Maybe Porsche or VW / audi?

Either way Red Bull appear to be up a creek without a paddle. They have burnt their bridges with Renault having split in a non amicable way and I can't see Ferrari or Mercedes wanting to supply them.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

This is big.
With Honda out (and I don't see any new suppliers stepping in), F1 is left with Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault. First two already refused to deliver engines to Red Bull and the last had a very ugly split. If none are willing to deliver Red Bull engines, those four cars will be forced out of F1. What is left of F1 then is just a ghost if you ask me. What is the future for the sport?
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

"The two options on the table for Red Bull are to potentially attract a new manufacturer to Formula 1 and, failing that, the regulations state that Renault, the constructor with the lowest numbers of customers, would have to supply Red Bull with power units."

Cyril Abiteboul must be having a right old chuckle......   Tongue

Hoping as Morini said that we might get "Porsche or VW / audi" to enter F1.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Could be an opening for Aston Martin to power the Bulls as well as the Pink Mercs

So Honda are focusing on the future of Electric within the motor industry, makes perfect sense tbh with these phenomenal costs in F1 in its current format. I think it’s a huge shame I’d love to see Toyota or BMW back but I think the big boys see this as flogging a dead horse, I would go as far as to say if Mercedes win in the next two years they’ll leave and focus on FE too they have nothing else to prove.

I think Renault will end up supplying them yes they had a poor break but it will get sorted in the end. The future of F1 is looking somewhat precarious. Especially if FE grows in the future
[+] 1 user Likes Beano's post

(02-10-2020, 01:35 PM)pennywise Wrote:  Could be an opening for Aston Martin to power the Bulls as well as the Pink Mercs

Will never happen.
I don't believe they even power their own cars.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

(02-10-2020, 02:14 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  
(02-10-2020, 01:35 PM)pennywise Wrote:  Could be an opening for Aston Martin to power the Bulls as well as the Pink Mercs

Will never happen.
I don't believe they even power their own cars.

You are correct Antilochos, Aston Martin are powered by Mercedes AMG PUs. Honda leaving F1 does leave the sport in a very precarious position. Renault aren't exactly enamoured with the sport either, and before the new CEO took over they were reputedly looking to sell the team and the drive chain facilities to someone else. I think we could be looking at a very, very grim future for F1 right now.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

This is a disaster for F1 and could be the first of a few nails in the coffin for the sport. I can see a future where a single engine supplier is used which should please many people. (Probably a Fiat 500cc!) I fear the days of technological expertise are going fast.

I do not see any hope of a new engine manufacturer stepping into the ring and the 2 Hundred Million fee for a new team puts paid to any new teams too. Its not all LM's fault but they sure have not done a good job either commercially or for F1 itself.

I say we go back to the good old V8 engine with twin turbos. This whole carbon emission BS is really silly for such a small sport. At the risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time where is all this electricity to power cars going to come from? Let me guess more Coal and Gas power stations and throw in a few hundred nuclear power plants, wow great for the environment!

I hope Mercedes and Ferrari start their own sport with multiple teams for each at some stage down the road, not ideal I know but better than where F1 is going right now.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(02-10-2020, 04:48 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I say we go back to the good old V8 engine with twin turbos. 

A thumbs up for this comment alone. I dont see Mercedes hanging around much longer either, they will sell up, replenish the nazi war chest and move on to pastures new.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post