Will Red Bull be up to the task in 2018?

http://www.planetf1.com/news/red-bull-op...ith-honda/

"Red Bull have begun official communication with engine manufacturer Honda ahead of becoming partners for the 2019 season and beyond."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

I was about to post that in a new thread Papa, perhaps we should start a new thread to discuss it. But the Honda engine is proving to be quite good so far, and it's clear the Red Bull hierarchy think they're on track... as do I.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(30-04-2018, 01:21 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I was about to post that in a new thread Papa, perhaps we should start a new thread to discuss it. But the Honda engine is proving to be quite good so far, and it's clear the Red Bull hierarchy think they're on track... as do I.

Certainly an improvement over the last few years efforts and I really hope they do come good.... but not totally convinced just yet, would take a leap of faith to swap out the Renault for me anyway

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Somebody produce a development trajectory around the end of the Chinese GP, and Honda are actually the most improved. If that trajectory continues by the end of the season they'll be as good as Renault if not better. I think if Honda and Red Bull do agree a contract then drop anything TR based from your fantasy F1 team, because that'd signify the rest of TR's season basically being development for RBR's 2019 Honda engine. Honda are desperate to get a podium before McLaren apparently. They're super hurt by what happened with them, and if you know anything about the Japanese psyche, you'll know they're out for some revenge. Giving Red Bull a competitive engine would certainly rub salt into McLaren's wounds.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/renault-wil...-red-bull/

"Renault will stick to the May 15th deadline for Red Bull to declare whether they will remain with the manufacturer or switch to Honda engines for 2019.
The FIA have set a deadline of May 15th for teams to confirm their engine suppliers for next year’s championship.
Red Bull, who last week began formal talks with Honda about a possible engine deal, have already said that they won’t make a firm decision until the summer break.
The team’s advisor Helmut Marko has stated that this will give Red Bull the opportunity to “analyse thoroughly” the upgrades that both Renault and Honda make with both expected to update their power units at June’s Canadian Grand Prix.
However, Renault are insisting that Red Bull stick to the May 15th deadline, adamant it is a different situation to McLaren’s late signing in 2018.
“We have to [stick to it],” Renault Sport managing director Cyril Abiteboul told ESPN. “We have to for a very simple reason, which is that we need to order parts.
“The problem is that people tend to amalgamate what happened last year when we changed very late our customers, but we only swapped customers.
“So actually we decided to allocate, to deviate, engines that were produced for Toro Rosso and to make them available for McLaren, but the parts for those engines were already ordered.
“I have to order now, the longest lead time items for next year, so what do I do: three or two?
“Frankly, I discussed that question with Red Bull on a regular basis.
“It’s not that we want to be awkward – there’s no tactics – but we simply must define the quantity.
“That’s why it’s in the sporting regulations, and what we discussed with the FIA regarding obligation of supply from suppliers to the customer teams, we agreed on the deadline of May simply because that’s the life of the project.
“Red Bull will have to cope with it.”
The Renault boss added that while Red Bull’s future engine supply is yet to be decided, McLaren are committed to Renault until 2020.
“It’s important to have one customer – I would not want to lose our two customers, really not, but that’s also one of the reasons why we’ve done what we have done with McLaren, which is to have a long term contract with them until 2020.
“We are already in discussions with McLaren with what could happen beyond that point because there is a general feelings that we can achieve great things together. But, frankly, it’s not a problem from moving from two customers to one customer.”

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

What do we think, will RedBull make the switch?

Honda speedtraps look fine, also consistent throughout the race. Although they are saying they had alot of energy management going on in Baku, and now some investigative work to be done to understand why. The characteristics that were so prominent in Bahrain disappeared in Baku.

RedBull have openly had Honda talks, so I'm going to side with: Yes, they will switch to Honda next season. Even if they suffer for the next 3 years, I think RedBull are only thinking about 2021.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

Hearing that the paddock believe Red Bull will indeed... stick with Renault next season.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

hehe, poor Renault. Since Bahrain it looks the obvious choice, but be interesting to see how the rest of the season pans out for Honda.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.

Personally i would love to see Renault drop RB they had 4 good years with Renault then whined like spoilt brats when the hubrid era started. I know it wont happen but Renault deserve more respect than that imo
[+] 1 user Likes LotusLover's post

I agree Lotus, Renault have taken an absolute shoeing from Red Bull Since 2014, and I don't think it's deserved. I happen to think Red Bull should take the plunge with Honda. I honestly think they're on their way to finally producing a solid engine. Get them working together, give them the push required and let Toro rosso take the development pain this year and introduce lots of updates, and come 2019 Honda might actually be highly competitive.