Fighting the good fight

I agree with Hamilton if this race was in the USA it would be a possibility and maybe, I say maybe have a larger effect. However in Belgium it is not going to serve any purpose whatsoever.

The race issue here is terrible. there is no question Black people and other minorities are treated very badly by SOME not all. What is especially hard to witness is Law enforcement killing Black people for basically nothing. The answer is not just boycotting things it requires positive actions by people in power and we all know how hard that is garner regardless of where you live in the world.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(27-08-2020, 06:52 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I agree with Hamilton if this race was in the USA it would be a possibility and maybe, I say maybe have a larger effect.  However in Belgium it is not going to serve any purpose whatsoever.

The race issue here is terrible. there is no question Black people and other minorities are treated very badly by SOME not all. What is especially hard to witness is Law enforcement killing Black people for basically nothing. The answer is not just boycotting things it requires positive actions by people in power and we all know how hard that is garner regardless of where you live in the world.

Yes, fully understand where you are coming from Neil and I do support the fight against racism.

My point is more about whether Lewis should be bringing all of this into his sport in the first place. Whatever he does he is going to draw criticism from somewhere, so from what I can see it isn't such a wise idea to mix his job with his political cause. The social media reach he has means he can get his message across without mentioning it on a race weekend.

I will echo what I said in motorsport, there is nothing wrong with wanting to continue to win the seventh, that’s a big deal naturally, but by being quite vocal towards other drivers about not doing enough he has kind of shot himself in the foot I feel, if you’re going to talk about others then on a huge moment like today when many other black stars are saying “no we are not doing our sport today“ or over the near future, it would appear to come across a bit hypocritical. I say make your choice Lewis but don’t condemn others for theirs.

I agree sport and politics are dangerous when put together but also they can be powerful and in my opinion Lewis could of sat this race out and, still easily clawed the lead back (I know that’s not 100% guaranteed) but can you imagine the message that would send! and in the history books he would of gone down in a far more positive way and not just about his racing pedigree. 

It seems a bit self centred to a lot of people myself included, but hey at the end of the day it’s his choice and he will still be remembered for a 7th title regardless.

(27-08-2020, 06:40 PM)morini Wrote:  And what are you views on that then? Do you think he should not race and give up the points? 

I'm wondering where all this shit is going to end. As I said earlier, mixing politics and sport isn't ever a good thing. Cue umpteen internet bandwagon jumpers spouting he shouldn't race (when what they really mean is they don't want to see the guy making history).

I havent gave it much thought Morini, it makes no difference to me (nor the championship for that matter) either way, if I was to pick the bones out of his statement/comments we would be here all day as the guy is a walking contradiction and what he said today hasnt changed my mind any, I would have been more surprised if he had indeed stood with the brothers & sisters he has been posting about on social media for weeks. 

As for the internet bandwagon jumpers I can all but guarantee from what I see/hear/read there are as many delusional arseholes on Lewis`s side as there are against him.

edit: for the record Im not referring to anyone on here when I said delusional arseholes.....was meaning general social media.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Sports and politics don't mix

(27-08-2020, 08:34 PM)pennywise Wrote:  Sports and politics don't mix
He He
[+] 1 user Likes pennywise's post

That made me titter  Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

The correct answer.

In fact, the *only* answer as far as I am concerned. The guy has opened himself up to criticism by bringing all this stuff into race weekends. I said it was a bad move at the time and everything we have seen since backs that up. He has made a rod for his own back.

However, the "fans" saying he shouldn't race and calling him out as a hypocrite are saying that for one reason only (and it has f*ck all to do with racism). They can't stand to see him winning and shattering records so stir up this nonsense in the hope it damages his campaign. I say concentrate on the racing Lewis. Leave all the other stuff until after the titles are in the bag.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(27-08-2020, 08:14 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  As for the internet bandwagon jumpers I can all but guarantee from what I see/hear/read there are as many delusional arseholes on Lewis`s side as there are against him.

This isn't even worth debating. Anybody who says online (or elsewhere) that Lewis Hamilton shouldn't race because of some event thousands of miles away and other black sports people have done similar is saying that because it fits their own agenda, nobody else's.

(27-08-2020, 07:41 PM)Beano Wrote:  I will echo what I said in motorsport,

I do read some of the articles on there, but draw the line on reading the comments. I've seen the sort of people posting on there thanks.

My DNS ad blocker won't allow the comments pages to load, which is a bonus.

Yea agree....sport is sport....anything else belongs on the other pages.
[+] 1 user Likes pennywise's post