Winter Testing 2020

(20-02-2020, 04:53 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Doesn't really matter what Marko thinks, the FIA say it's legal.

Yeah I know.....but remember they also said what Ferrari had been doing over previous season(s) had been legal (even though they didnt fully understand) and we know how that worked out, I suppose it will come down to the "wording" and IF any protests are lodged.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(20-02-2020, 04:53 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Doesn't really matter what Marko thinks, the FIA say it's legal. Apparenntly James Key has said it's genius, and Binotto on Italian TV said it's something they need to consider. So other teams seem to think it's legal and that they might want their own version... why? Because in next years regs it'll be even more potent a tool.

Or banned from the new regs..
[+] 2 users Like pennywise's post

It could be banned from the new regs, but I think it'll be here to stay this season. Unless of course Mercedes don't think it works. Depends on what Ferrari "innovation" you're talking about.

So we've seen more reliability gremlins today. Something broke on the Alfa Romeo, Mercedes have an ERS issue and Renault apparently have had numerous issues. Ferrari needed to change a gearbox and Red Bull have had the floor off multiple times today tinkering around the PU. So there are gremlins, but nothing catastrophic apparently, we'll get the proper performance runs next week I think, tomorrow might race Sims.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

DAS ist warum ich Mercedes liebe.
I said it before; Mercedes at this moment, like in the last couple of years, is the best team F1 has seen. Overal it is just working like a machine.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

Why the FIA believes Mercedes' DAS system is legal. (Motorsport)

Formula 1's second day of pre-season testing has been dominated by intrigue surrounding the Mercedes 'Dual Axis Steering' (DAS) system.

"No adjustment may be made to any suspension system while the car is in motion," states Article 10.2.3 of F1's Technical Regulations

So if, in the FIA's view, the changes made to the toe angle were altering the suspension of the car, then that would be outlawed.

However, the FIA's view is that the Mercedes system is deemed not to be altering the suspension. Instead, in its view, DAS is simply another way of 'steering' the front wheels.

In terms of what is allowed in terms of steering, the rules are not that restrictive.

Article 10.4.1 of the technical regulations states: "Any steering system which permits the re-alignment of more than two wheels is not permitted."

With the Mercedes system only adjusting the toe of the front wheels, then that is fully in compliance.

Furthermore, and key to this case, is the fact that there is nowhere in the regulations that states the wheels can only be turned on one axis – nor that the two front wheels must change angle at the same rate.

That means that Mercedes changing the angle of the front wheels independently of each other, to alter the toe, is allowed because there is nothing saying it cannot be done.

The only stipulation regarding such a DAS system is that it cannot be done through power-assisted means – as the power steering of the car has to comply with a regulation that states: "No such system may carry out any function other than reduce the physical effort required to steer the car."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Seb : "I presume the Mercedes system [DAS] is legal. But it's called a steering wheel, not a push or pull wheel."  Laughing

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Good old Seb, but there's nothing in the rules about it not being a push pull wheel either. Not sure what to make of it. Technically it's clearly not illegal, it doesn't breach any rules, and nor does it seeming breach the "spirit" of any rules. It's not like what they're doing is to circumnavigate any sensors either, they've been clear what the device is for, and showed the FIA how it works. Apparently the FIA have been monitoring it's use as well, and are supposedly satisfied it does what Mercedes says it does and no more. However, I fully expect appeals to come in, probably from Red Bull who appeal everything any other team innovates. Apparently RBR have discussed with other teams the Racing Point car, they're convinced Mercedes have shared technical data... I honestly can't believe for one second Mercedes would have done that.

Confirmed then Lewis' best lap of the day was done on the C1 or hardest tyre. Apparently you switch to the C2 you can take 0.8 off of that lap time, to the C3 and you take a further 0.9 go to the C4 and can trim another 0.7 off and so you take 2.4 seconds off of his lap and you end up with a 1:15.9... got to the C5's like Kimi and well, you end up with a very fast lap. that Mercedes is quick, and the eagle eyed Twitterati have noted Mercedes have yet to use any performance modes, unlike RBR and Ferrari.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Like I wrote in my first post about the DAS I too could not imagine Merc developing it for it to be illegal.......however, I just cant help but wonder should it have been a Ferrari "innovation" would it have received the same accolades? ....or went down as exploitation of a grey area/ #italiancheatingb@st@rds  Wink

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

So, I've not managed to catch any web updates at all today. Just got home and having a look at the sky sports f1 testing round up program, All this fuss about this innie outie steering wheel on the Merc today, were they not using it yesterday then? Didn't hear anything about it after day 1.

My gut feel is it will go the way of fric - i.e. Merc will be perceived to benefit (i.e. the other teams won't be able to get it to work properly) so the rest of the teams will gang up and get it banned. Mercedes survived fric being outlawed with no issues so I would think they will still be mighty competitive even without this gizmo. I'm not anal enough to read the rules in detail so don't feel qualified to say whether what they have done is legal or not. What is without question is the brackley team are the most innovative (by far).

WFH today so have the sky testing coverage on in the background. How can any of you chaps watch this? At the very least the mute button is essential - I can't believe the crap these thre experts are spouting.

Laptop muted!
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post