Winter Testing 2020

Forza a source at Mercedes have confirmed they've had their car looked over and technical compliance achieved. The ideas on the car have already go through the FIA.

Wow, from the outside shots you can see the camber of the front tyres change. Doing all the work on C1's today for Lewis and he's heading for 100 laps easily. This is impressive stuff again from Mercedes.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

No doubt JA will be overwhelmed with questions about it when he faces the press shortly.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Not sure you can legally change camber though, hmmm, toe is legal, camber I'm not sure.

(20-02-2020, 12:22 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Not sure you can legally change camber though, hmmm, toe is legal, camber I'm not sure.

Love it....this is what F1 is all about. (unfortunately its back to work time for me  Angry)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Lunch time catch up, Mercedes doing over 100 laps. Their rear suspension is genius and that tow / camber altering system, if legal, is bloody clever. They're not letting up at all. All their work on the C1 this morning and no DRS still. The Mercedes is quick.

Renault missing a lot of track time as are Ferrari.

Everyone else plenty of track time seemingly. Racing Point looks good, McLaren have a lot of set up and aero work done. Williams still looks like the wooden spoon, but I think the Alfa Romeo will be fighting with them for that dubious honour, and possibly the Alpha Tauri too. Haas... wow... who knows. Looks dredful at times and looks solid at others, I just hope they're not having correlation woes again.

(20-02-2020, 11:25 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(20-02-2020, 10:23 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  
So there's clearly a moving steering column on the Mercedes, and it's a definite thing, it requires manual input. What is it doing? Who knows?

I thought the talk about the moving steering column was much ado about nothing, but there's something to it. It changes the steering wheel position quite a bit, and the angle of the steering column.

Vid for those who havent seen it

https://twitter.com/i/status/1230433959172919297

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce...s/4689046/

Tech insight: What does Mercedes' steering wheel mode do?

Interesting stuff, cheers lads.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Like Ferrari's moveable ballast from the last generation of cars, I can see why it skirts close to breaching the rules, but ultimately I think it doesn't. This is bloody clever.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Allison confirmed it's a toe adjustment system and the FIA have already cleared it and have been checking it throughout its development. Teams have been informed its legal.

What does helmet think?.....Red Bull thinks the DAS system is not legal, Marko: "If you actively change the toe of the wheels while driving, the contact surface of the tyres changes. And thus - even if in a very, very low range - the ground clearance and this is prohibited because the system then corresponds to the operation of an active suspension which is not allowed."

[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Doesn't really matter what Marko thinks, the FIA say it's legal. Apparenntly James Key has said it's genius, and Binotto on Italian TV said it's something they need to consider. So other teams seem to think it's legal and that they might want their own version... why? Because in next years regs it'll be even more potent a tool.