Winter Testing 2020

Awesome coverage there Jody, I appreciate that, a solid catch up.
There was a bootleg of the Sky coverage on YT, so had it on it the back ground, they need to be quite so we can just enjoy the cars and atmosphere, I think i say that every year. Time for some tweets me thinks!

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

I'll probably try and keep up to date with day 2, although I need to be somewhere in the evening to do a presentation, so might not be as "comprehensive".
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Start of day 2 everyone doing aero rake tests, but Mercedes and Hamilton doing a lot of practive starts with aero rakes. Gasly has had his customary spin already.

Slightly disturbing rumours that yes, of course Ferrari were in low power mode, but hearing Mercedes were too running the two low power modes. We know McLaren and Red Bull ran performance modes.

Right, watching the Haas... they've got the same problem as last year. They can't get the heat into the tyre or they over heat them and the breaks don't work and it has a lack of stability under breaking. They're in for a hard season I think.

Hamilton pounding in the laps, his work rate is phenomenal.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Ferrari and RBR have turned the engines up. Lewis still doing set up work still, and driving to deltas I guess given he's smashing in the same lap times lap after lap in the 1:18's.

Lewis on the C1's for his times, and he's only 0.3 off of Leclerc and Albon who did short runs on the C3's. Caveats as always, but I'mm not sure they're keeping their cards as close to their chests as normal.

Oh God, the story about the pink Mercedes is going to run and run. It's top of the time sheets right now and lapping at a really quick pace, it looks and behaves like last years Merc, I'm not sure this is "OK".

So there's clearly a moving steering column on the Mercedes, and it's a definite thing, it requires manual input. What is it doing? Who knows?

I thought the talk about the moving steering column was much ado about nothing, but there's something to it. It changes the steering wheel position quite a bit, and the angle of the steering column.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

The change to the steering wheel definitely changes the front end ride height of the car. Not much, but it is doing something. Picking quite different positions based on corners and straights, that's intriguing.

(20-02-2020, 10:23 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  
So there's clearly a moving steering column on the Mercedes, and it's a definite thing, it requires manual input. What is it doing? Who knows?

I thought the talk about the moving steering column was much ado about nothing, but there's something to it. It changes the steering wheel position quite a bit, and the angle of the steering column.

Vid for those who havent seen it

https://twitter.com/i/status/1230433959172919297

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

If it's changing the suspension that's totally legal according to the regs, if it's changing aero characteristics well... it's iffy.

Wow, that Racing Point looks properly handy... if it is genuinely as quick as it looks they might be subjected to an FIA investigation.

Perez sets blistering S1 and S2 and then backs off in S3... for me he's hiding their pace, but doing a crap job of it. That car is comfortably capable of a 1:15.

A clever bit of kit whatever its doing, cant see Merc having it if it wasnt legal...my guess is suspension adjustment for toe in/out

(20-02-2020, 11:38 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  If it's changing the suspension that's totally legal according to the regs, if it's changing aero characteristics well... it's iffy.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Well given the Mercedes have said it's on the car, and this car has already been scrutineered... well... the FIA think it's legal.

I think you're probably right Forza

(20-02-2020, 11:57 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:   and this car has already been scrutineered... well... the FIA think it's legal.

Do they scrutineer during testing Jody?....for some reason I thought there was just a "promise" to self scrutineer ....maybe I just dreamed this up lol