2019 Mexico GP

So can someone explain why Leclerc had to cover Albon and then went on medium again.
My head hurts....
[+] 2 users Like PaddyB's post

(27-10-2019, 09:57 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  So can someone explain why Leclerc had to cover Albon and then went on medium again.
My head hurts....

I was wondering as well. The one stoppers were on the sensible strategy. I thought Lewis was driving too slow at the start of the second stint, but I think he knew exactly what he was doing there.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Lets be frank again here Ferrari blew it again. Mercedes took advantage of another pit error
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Max voted Dotd? Sorry my Dutch friends, he really didn't deserve it today, a few clumsy lunges and his puncture was his own fault. I'm a Max fan, but today he was the architect of his own donwfall and did not deserve Dotd. An "also ran" perfomance if ever I saw one.

Obviously a popular guy and the Dutch folk like to vote in polls!

(27-10-2019, 10:02 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Lets be frank again here Ferrari blew it again. Mercedes took advantage of another pit error

Umm.., no, I don't think so. Mercedes tried a risky undercut (a lot of laps on the hard) and made it work. I don't blame Ferrari for keeping Sebastian out long, it could have worked if the hards dropped off on Hamltons car.

In fairness, Hamilton won it by not being greedy early in his second stint. I honestly thought he was doing too slow lap times, but slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Driver of the day is a joke. I would go with either Ricciardo or Hamilton myself

(27-10-2019, 10:11 PM)morini Wrote:  
(27-10-2019, 10:02 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Lets be frank again here Ferrari blew it again. Mercedes took advantage of another pit error

Umm.., no, I don't think so. Mercedes tried a risky undercut (a lot of laps on the hard) and made it work. I don't blame Ferrari for keeping Sebastian out long, it could have worked if the hards dropped off on Hamltons car.

In fairness, Hamilton won it by not being greedy early in his second stint. I honestly thought he was doing too slow lap times, but slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Morini keeping Vettel out was NOT the mistake. The mistake was pitting Leclerc from the lead.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

That's the mistake I think Ferrari made today NeilP, covering off Albon. I guess Albon had been pressuring Vettel, but also the pitstops being messy and he over cooked it two timmes again. Two stops was supposedly quicker on paper, but I think the work Mercedes do on a Friday really helps them on a Sunday. The drive today by Lewis was fantastic. Not sure where it ranks in his drives, but it has to be up there. A very controlled and mature race. Scratching my head over the Max driver of the day thing, no way. A bit of a lunge on Bottas, but he got it done, and I don't think he takes the blame for the puncture either, racing incident for me, and Bottas was sleeping, I think Bottas also takes a bit of blame for that one, but I seriously think no one to blame, one of those things.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

(27-10-2019, 10:11 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Morini keeping Vettel out was NOT the mistake. The mistake was pitting Leclerc from the lead.

Maybe, but I doubt Ferrari could carry the hards 50 laps. Mercedes can. Ferrari were just trying to protect against the fastest 2 stoppers.

(27-10-2019, 10:24 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  That's the mistake I think Ferrari made today NeilP, covering off Albon. I guess Albon had been pressuring Vettel, but also the pitstops being messy and he over cooked it two timmes again. Two stops was supposedly quicker on paper, but I think the work Mercedes do on a Friday really helps them on a Sunday. The drive today by Lewis was fantastic. Not sure where it ranks in his drives, but it has to be up there. A very controlled and mature race. Scratching my head over the Max driver of the day thing, no way. A bit of a lunge on Bottas, but he got it done, and I don't think he takes the blame for the puncture either, racing incident for me, and Bottas was sleeping, I think Bottas also takes a bit of blame for that one, but I seriously think no one to blame, one of those things.

Agree with all of this,

Thing is, I don't think Ferrari could do an early 1 stopper, they just don't manage the tyres well enough IMO. I was pretty confident Lewis would win from 20 laps out, he was heeeping the gap stable at 2.4 - 3 seconds. I know Ferrari would not be able to do that on old hard tyres.

I think Vettel should have covered off Hamilton, but hey, it's all easy with hindsight. Mercedes and Lewis made it work, on to CotA where Liberty will get the grandstand finish they want to the season, where Lewis will win, and lets be honest here, deservedly so.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post