2019 Mexico GP

As always enjoy this debrief from Mercedes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxQSpQSk800
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

After further review:

Finally watched a rerun of the race and would make the following observations:

1. In my opinion Vettel was lucky not to get a penalty for the way he started the race. At first I thought it was just me but having watched Peter Windsors post race comments he felt the same. Maybe the stewards cut him some slack as it was the first lap but his moves were not dictated by any other he was free to move nobody forced him in any way.

2.  Remember a few weeks ago when the people were comparing Hamilton to Verstappen... LMAO. NO.  They are not even close. I thought Verstappen was changing and evolving to me he took a massive step backwards this weekend. He was "So he wants to play bumper cars does he" moody. He let his temper get the better of him. I always said once he starts really running up with the leaders they will not just step aside for him he is nothing to them and so this week proved (to me).

3. Ferrari have really screwed over Leclerc AGAIN!!!!! I like Seb Vettel as a person, I respect his achievements but I am sorry Leclerc is the better driver right now and shame on Ferrari for treating him as they do.

4. A really good drive by Hamilton having had to push on his out laps to keep Vettel at bay after his pitstop he managed to keep Vettel behind him. He will be a very deserving Champion.

5 Great drive by Bottas too. After his accident in qualifying I thought he put in a solid day at the office.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(31-10-2019, 12:52 AM)NeilP Wrote:  After further review:

Finally watched a rerun of the race and would make the following observations:

1. In my opinion Vettel was lucky not to get a penalty for the way he started the race. At first I thought it was just me but having watched Peter Windsors post race comments he felt the same. Maybe the stewards cut him some slack as it was the first lap but his moves were not dictated by any other he was free to move nobody forced him in any way.

2.  Remember a few weeks ago when the people were comparing Hamilton to Verstappen... LMAO. NO.  They are not even close. I thought Verstappen was changing and evolving to me he took a massive step backwards this weekend. He was "So he wants to play bumper cars does he" moody. He let his temper get the better of him. I always said once he starts really running up with the leaders they will not just step aside for him he is nothing to them and so this week proved (to me).

3. Ferrari have really screwed over Leclerc AGAIN!!!!! I like Seb Vettel as a person, I respect his achievements but I am sorry Leclerc is the better driver right now and shame on Ferrari for treating him as they do.

4. A really good drive by Hamilton having had to push on his out laps to keep Vettel at bay after his pitstop he managed to keep Vettel behind him. He will be a very deserving Champion.

5 Great drive by Bottas too. After his accident in qualifying I thought he put in a solid day at the office.

I see it different.

1. I supose you are refering to Vettel cutting Hamilton, pushing him towards the grass? Well, that is in my view hard racing. What is wrong by defending you position with one move? Hamilton pulled back to late and lost some distance to the Red Bull (wich brings us to the next point). Vettel just drove a very good race whole weekend.
Though I am curious about how you saw this.

2. Why so harsh on Verstappen? He is losing his tempure more lately and I think because he is getting frustrated that Red Bull is falling far behind the Ferrari and Mercedes teams. I didn't see anything that says he is a terrible driver. I still rate him second best of the field.
I said before, it is more Hamilton his fault that both hit eachother than Verstappen (Hamilton lost speed due to Vettel and so lost position to Verstappen, Verstappen was in front of him in the corner if I'm not mistaken). Again, I don't blame Hamilton, just a race incident, but certainly not blame Verstappen either. Only things I blame Verstappen is 1) messing up pole position for himself and 2) overtaking Bottas and compromising his own race, again. 
How quickly people change view after a good race and a bad race.

3. Ferrari did screwed it for Leclerc, although they also did screw it for Vettel. That's like Ferrari's trademark; they screw up strategy. Between both drivers though, Vettel was the better one this weekend for sure (and Vettel was a couple of times this year, Leclerc is like Verstappen; still learning a lot of things, it's not just speed). In the long run, Leclerc is the future driver for Ferrari.

4. I can only agree.

5. Bottas drive was fine but not great. He just seems to miss something. I said it before, Bottas is not even in my top ten of drivers in this era. But it works for the Mercedes team just fine this way.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

Anti

1. I am not alone on my thoughts on Vettel. I hesitated to write it until I saw my opinion was shared by others.

https://www.planetf1.com/features/vettel...in-mexico/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjOY2J1kp5M

2. I dont think I am being hard on him but he is not progressing is he. He was like a Bull in a China shop. He just goes charging into situations without thinking about the consequences if people dont let him complete his intended moves. The marque drivers are not just going to let him through or give ground just because its Max Verstappen so inevitably they come together. There are numerous examples of this with Max. Using the Hamilton comparison can you imaging the furor if Hamilton had as many "incidents" as Max? Great drivers dont let their temperament get the better of their judgement. Controlled anger is fine, Max is uncontrolled anger. Also going back to what Jody mentioned on other threads why does he want Hulkenberg in the other car Jody suggests he needs another experienced driver to help with car development and set up...really!

3. Leclerc may be learning which is not even debatable but he is not crashing into everything that moves like Verstappen and yes I am exaggerating to make a point. It has reached the stage with me that I fancy Leclerc to beat Vettel in every race and yes I am aware that will not actually happen rather its a reflection of how I feel. I always thought Leclerc would finish ahead of Vettel by season end, maybe he will maybe he wont. The only reason he wont is because he has been screwed by his own team so many times.

5. It was a great drive in my opinion. I agree, he is not top 10 of his era he is not even top 20. He is good not great.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

1. I don't mind if others think the same as you. Even if you stand alone in your opinion, I still respect it and are curious about it. Must say, I haven't seen anything to change my mind about Vettel's action, or did I came closer understanding your upset. You might not like Vettel, or are a fan of Hamilton, but objectively there was nothing wrong with Vettel's move. Just defending and Hamilton should've backed out earlier.

2. Verstappen has a temper, but that what makes him also a fun driver to watch. And I don't care that much if he mess things up for himself that way. As a fan of racing I enjoy watching him and if he will or will not become a multiple champion as everyone things, I don't care that much because it will not change my life at all.
For the setting up a car. Yes, he probably wants another driver in there. But not because of the reason he is not capable of himself. Two good drivers makes twice the progression on car devellopment as one. That is what needed at Red Bull - Honda and Albon is not helping, since he only asking for Verstappen's setup. Verstappen is praised by his team (and Ricciardo) about his knowledge and feedback. Ricciardo even called him a car-nerd because he knew that much about it (in reaction to input from Verstappen about parts Ricciardo did not even knew they excisted, let alone what to do with it).

3. Leclerc crashed into a moving Verstappen last race... How about that irony?
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

When questioned on Hamilton and Vettel's criticism by Sky F1's Ted Kravitz, Verstappen continued: "I don't think it's fair the way they explained it, because I'm not reckless or anything like that.

Yes Max you are absolutely reckless and have been for a very long time and until you realize you will continue to be so!!!!