2018 tyres

<Cynic mode>
  • Pirelli/FIA/Liberty conspire for the tyre contracts & regulation changes to fall how they have done.
  • No tyre manufacturer is going to want to develop and manufacture 13" inch tyres for a single season before throwing it all out and starting again from scratch
  • Pirelli go unchallenged for the new tender
Pirelli retain what's probably the best global exposure for a tyre manufacturer and likely on favorable terms. FIA/Liberty keep their obedient little tyre-producing lap dog

</Cynic mode>

Who knows what'll happen!?

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 4 users Like Purple-banana's post

"Pirelli retain what's probably the best global exposure for a tyre manufacturer and likely on favorable terms. FIA/Liberty keep their obedient little tyre-producing lap dog"

Nothing cynical about it. You hit it flush!!!

Nobody is going to want to supply on the basis F1 are asking and Liberty know that full well.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

Purple-Bannana I think you nailed it right on the head. Apparently Bridgestone and Micheline were interested, but providing tyres for 13" wheels for one year? Yeah, no one is going to tender for that. It'd be interesting to see what might happen if they allow for multiple tyre manufacturers from 2021 to see who'd come into the sport, but as it stands I only see Pirelli tendering.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pirel...s/3170980/

Pirelli believe that the blistering that denied Kimi Raikkonen a shot at victory in the Italian Grand Prix was triggered by a perfect storm of circumstances.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

I stated on the Italian Race thread that due to their tyre selections they were going to have to do the race on a one stop Super Soft and Medium. It was lunacy on their behalf to only take one set of Softs into the race weekend. As I said at the time in a reply to Hesh you dont take a set of tyres to a race not practice on them and then use them in the race and that is exactly what Ferrari did. They kind of authored their own downfall by only taking one set of Softs.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Anyone who saw the pictures of Kimi's tyres at the end of the race will have seen he had no chance of winning. His rear left had a string of blisters before he got on to the back of Bottas' car. The Ferrari just does not like the Softs at rear limited circuits.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(04-09-2018, 12:20 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Anyone who saw the pictures of Kimi's tyres at the end of the race will have seen he had no chance of winning. His rear left had a string of blisters before he got on to the back of Bottas' car. The Ferrari just does not like the Softs at rear limited circuits.

Exactly my point!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

The trouble they had is they knew their car (Ferrari) chews through the Softs at rear limited circuits, so I think the plan was to go Super Soft then Medium NeilP, but then on Friday they could see a problem. On race stints there was no different in lap time between the Super Soft and Softs, but an almost 2 second lap delta back to the Mediums. A friend (Italian I might add) also joked they didn't get the tyre data from Sauber they normally do. There has been some paddock grumbling that that has been going on between the two teams this year. But just to make the point, if it were it wouldn't be illegal.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-ne...d/3184830/

Formula 1 chiefs need to be aware of the "impossible" task Pirelli has faced over recent years when it comes to choosing who becomes the sport’s official supplier after 2019, say team bosses.

Pirelli and Hankook are being evaluated as part of the FIA's tyre tender process for the period 2019 to 2023. Both have passed checks to ensure they are technically capable of delivering, and now commercial talks with Liberty Media have begun.

Although Pirelli has long faced criticism over its products – ranging from they degrade too much to they don't degrade enough – F1 team bosses have backed the Italian company's efforts.

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff, in particular, says that Pirelli has often found itself on the receiving end of blame for having done something the teams themselves had asked for.

"Pirelli has been with us for a long time as a stable partner, and they have been given an impossible task that whatever specification we ask for and they deliver, it is not as good as it should be," he said.
"Mario [Isola, Pirelli racing boss] has stood firm with the teams complaining, and Pirelli is a great brand and a pillar of the sport. That has to be considered [when choosing the tyre supplier].

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel

Why can’t we have BOTH manufacturers instead of 1?? Is that deemed to be unfair advantage if you choose correct Smile