What next for Sebastian Vettel?

This is one very likable guy. I have always rated him as a driver but even I had started to question his credentials in the last few years. I feel I am wrong to do so. His era at Red Bull was sensational and he was a dominant driver in a fairly dominant car (Lets not get into that too much). I think it is fair to say many thought his move to Ferrari from Red Bull would lead to the prancing horse winning championships and maybe the last two seasons it should have. It has not.

Vettels driving is now error strewn with desperation, poor judgement, unreasonable self expectation and I feel a certain amount of embarrassment.  What I found slightly amusing about his latest incident was listening to the onboards of himself and Verstappen.  Max " Is my car okay, what was he thinking?"   Vettel "What was he doing" I mean come on Sebastian.  What to me was even more telling was Lambiasi (I love his voice and humour) was immediately in touch but Vettels engineer (whose name escapes me) was totally silent.

So the question is what lies ahead for Vettel? He has a contract with Ferrari for next season and its not like he has become Pastor Maldonado overnight. I think it is up in the air. If he does not get better for him during the rest of the season Ferrari may have to make an awkward decision.  I feel they may get around it by giving both drivers equal status for his last year. Either way I cannot see him at Ferrari in 2021.

So, if not Ferrari, where next or maybe that should be what next.  He will be 33 after next season, hardly old but maybe similar although different circumstances to Alonso many doors will be closed to him. I certainly dont see him racing an uncompetitive car. There is no way he is moving to Mercedes or Red Bull. Maybe his best option would be Renault trying to reestablish to glory days of his 4 world Championships. Beyond that its hard to see where else he could fit in.

I feel for him, I really do. His career is finishing in an ugly fashion and will in the short term at least overshadow his achievements in the sport. I wish we knew what has changed with him. His confidence is shot and that is massive in all areas of sport and indeed life. I am hoping we can see a change because what he is doing now is so far beneath his previous abilities it is fast becoming an unrecoverable position.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

I watched the race on C4 (as it was my only option) and Eddie Jordan is still convinced Seb will be going to Mercedes while Lewis moves in the opposite direction.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Eddie Jordan knows a lot more about racing than I do but that is utter nonsense. Why would Mercedes even look at Vettel. They are going to be able to pick between Hamilton, Verstappen, Ricciardo just to mention three.

I think Eddie has gone past his sell by date.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(17-07-2019, 03:35 PM)NeilP Wrote:  So the question is what lies ahead for Vettel?
(17-07-2019, 03:46 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Eddie Jordan is still convinced Seb will be going to Mercedes while Lewis moves in the opposite direction.

My view, Sebastian knows *if* he gets into the Mercedes seat he's got the best shot at another WDC, I can understand him wanting it & a German company wanting a German driver, thing is who would a team prefer if they had a choice between Max or Sebastian? especially if Lewis is driving for Ferrari? Max all day long.

SV 123 pts - CLK 120 pts Neil asks "what lies ahead for Vettel?" well *If* he wants the Mercedes drive he has to beat Charles doesn't he? race after race Charles is improving so its not going to be easy, I just feel if he loses out he can kiss goodbye to the Mercedes drive, so will he retire, I'm guessing he wants to see the 2021 cars before he makes up his mind, it would get more difficult for him *If* as is rumoured Ferrari bring in Lewis, then if no Mercedes seat surely he would have to go/retire.

One last thought, I cant see Lewis wanting to leave the best team/car, will he have 5yrs left in F1? surely he would sign for Mercedes for 2 more years then finish at Ferrari? who knows because I'm just guessing.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

At the risk of sending Forza into the kitchen looking for super sharp objects I get the feeling the Hamilton to Ferrari discussion is dying down. I think he will see out his career at Mercedes.

I think Eddie Jordan is well off the pulse with that one folks. I really do not think Mercedes will want Sebastian after his displays the last couple of seasons. There are far better options. Sebs only real option (if he does not want to retire) is to move to a second tier team and bring them on with his invaluable knowledge from operating in top three teams. I bet Renault and McLaren would be very interested. However, I don't see it happening because I honestly think that Seb Vettel has lost the fire in his belly. Perhaps a lot to do with the fact he now has kids and a wife, that is bound to change your outlook to risk for a start off.

Nothing personal on my part, I like the guy as a bloke. He is very humble, easy going and has a good SOH for a German sportsman (unusual in my opinion). Driver opinions are like bumholes, but most of you on here already know I have never rated SV amongst the very best. I would say he is closer to Valterri Bottas in ability than Lewis Hamilton. Can pull out sensational laps if the car is glued to road and exactly where he wants it, but if he must drive round issues he's screwed (JB was a lot like that too).

His biggest marketable asset is inside knowledge. The lesser teams would love to have him for a couple of years, of that I have no doubt. But, does he want that? I think he retires at the end of the season.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(17-07-2019, 06:41 PM)NeilP Wrote:  At the risk of sending Forza into the kitchen looking for super sharp objects I get the feeling the Hamilton to Ferrari discussion is dying down. I think he will see out his career at Mercedes.

This ^

I think Lewis would love to drive for Ferrari as all drivers aspire to do so. However, he's essentially been with Mercedes all his working life and you can tell he feels a lot of loyalty towards the team. Regardless about what Forz feels on this I reckon Ferrari would love to have him.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(17-07-2019, 06:45 PM)morini Wrote:  Regardless about what Forz feels on this I reckon Ferrari would love to have him.

I would imagine every single team up & down the pit lane that would love to have him inc Ferrari

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(17-07-2019, 06:55 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I would imagine every single team up & down the pit lane that would love to have him inc Ferrari

Have I been abducted by aliens and / or woken up in an alternative reality? Forza saying nice things about Lewis Hamilton? Is this some sort of voodoo sabotage curse? Might be time to drop LH from team cockwomble I reckon!

Wink
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Have I been abducted by aliens and / or woken up in an alternative reality?

I always thought both of those things were already in actuality!!!