So as per the race chat, rumours in Italy that Lewis has agreed a 4 year contract with Ferrari, for a switch to the red team in 2021, and apparently part of his decision is based on the fact that Toto is reportedly replacing Chase Carey in 2021 at Liberty Media. So, what do we think? Is it wishful thinking by the Italian press? Or does it seem plausible to you guys?
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(01-12-2019, 04:31 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  So as per the race chat, rumours in Italy that Lewis has agreed a 4 year contract with Ferrari, for a switch to the red team in 2021, and apparently part of his decision is based on the fact that Toto is reportedly replacing Chase Carey in 2021 at Liberty Media. So, what do we think? Is it wishful thinking by the Italian press? Or does it seem plausible to you guys?

Sounds plausible to me. I wasn't aware the Toto to Liberty rumour was concrete though?
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

A few people in the paddock think the transition will happen at some point next season for Toto, and I think he's already told Lewis he's off, or at the very least might be. Lewis and Toto have a very good relationship, and I think if Toto goes Lewis will see it as a good time to part ways with the Silver Arrows. I've been hearing for a few weeks now that Toto was hammering out a contract with Liberty Media to be CEO of F1, and that coincides with the meeting Lewis has supposedly had with Ferrari. I guess if Lewis can convince Ferrari to concentrate on their 2021 car, and get an easier run of things for 2020 with Mercedes it could be a win win for him. Scupper a competitor in 2020, and then walk into a car that's had way more money spent on it than the other teams and reap the benefits. Far fetched? Maybe, but certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(01-12-2019, 05:30 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I guess if Lewis can convince Ferrari to concentrate on their 2021 car, and get an easier run of things for 2020 with Mercedes it could be a win win for him. Scupper a competitor in 2020, and then walk into a car that's had way more money spent on it than the other teams and reap the benefits. Far fetched? Maybe, but certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.

"Far fetched?" Maybe...…. but cunningly clever, or deviously cunningly clever depending on views, this is such a good plan do we think it was Lewis's idea, or more likely a Ferrari one as it would be quite a way to attract him, a bit *out there* but as you say "not beyond the realms of possibility"

I was thinking Lewis would sign for another two years but after reading through, I'm not so sure now.  

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel

If Ferrari have promised to focus on their 2021 car then they might convince Lewis that they could be on for a Mercedes style 2014 dominance or maybe a Brawn GP in 2009. It might be tempting given the people who have been leaving Mercedes to retire etc. and the rumours surrounding Toto as well, maybe Lewis is thinking now might be the right time to end a beautiful relationship. A 4 year contract is an interesting length as well, to offer as well to someone nearing Hamilton's age, it's a real vote of confidence and shows commitment. With rumours Mercedes have been talking only 2 year extensions, maybe Ferrari could swing it.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(01-12-2019, 08:47 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  With rumours Mercedes have been talking only 2 year extensions, maybe Ferrari could swing it.

Shhh Jody, forza might hear you  Laughing

Not seen him on here today, but you can bet he won't be a happy doberman reading this conversation!
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

I know, I know Morini, but I have a feeling this might be the only news / talking point through a long winter break. It is clear Ferrari want Lewis, top Ferrari and Fiat brass have been meeting Lewis and being talking very positively about him. Hearing Binotto wax lyrical about him in the press conference and 2 interviews is a clear indication that Ferrari are considering it.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Well this is what the man has said about it himself:

https://www.facebook.com/568665409957112...649082745/

Hardly the robust denials he's given in the past is it?

(03-12-2019, 10:18 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Hardly the robust denials he's given in the past is it?

Well, no. But he only has 1 season to run on current contract. He is probably just improving his negotiation options to squeeze a few more deutsche marks out of 'em.

Perhaps we should have a "Where is Lewis going in 2021" poll?  Nothingtosay If for no other reason than it's a prime opportunity to wind up our favourite Ferrari fanboy  Laughing Devil
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

I concur, a poll would be an excellent opportunity to wind up Forza... erm... I mean spark meaningful debate during F1's off season.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post