Who do you think is more disappointed in the other?

So is it Renault in Danny Ricc, or Danny Ricc in Renault? First thing to say is that when it isn't failing the Renault PU is actually the fourth fastest engine, with the same drivability issues it has had since the start of the Turbo hybrid era. The chassis Renault have produced doesn't seem too bad right now. Maybe fifth or sixth best on the grid, and with scope to develop, but the all round package is utterly crap.

But what if Renault's big coup in signing Danny Riccardo? Well, right now it looks like a massive waste of money. I think he's in real danger of damaging his standing in the sport if he doesn't get on top of his team mate. Irregardless of his mistake at the start in Australia the Hulk outclassed him all weekend, and we're in not for engine problems in qualifying would have done so again. It's very, very early days, and if Ricciardo can sort his head out and find his feet he has the skill to make Hulk a clear number 2 I believe, but the longer this goes on, the more damage to his reputation that will be done.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(01-04-2019, 08:47 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  So is it Renault in Danny Ricc, or Danny Ricc in Renault? First thing to say is that when it isn't failing the Renault PU is actually the fourth fastest engine, with the same drivability issues it has had since the start of the Turbo hybrid era. The chassis Renault have produced doesn't seem too bad right now. Maybe fifth or sixth best on the grid, and with scope to develop, but the all round package is utterly crap.

But what if Renault's big coup in signing Danny Riccardo? Well, right now it looks like a massive waste of money. I think he's in real danger of damaging his standing in the sport if he doesn't get on top of his team mate. Irregardless of his mistake at the start in Australia the Hulk outclassed him all weekend, and we're in not for engine problems in qualifying would have done so again. It's very, very early days, and if Ricciardo can sort his head out and find his feet he has the skill to make Hulk a clear number 2 I believe, but the longer this goes on, the more damage to his reputation that will be done.

I always said I liked and rated Hulk, he keeps a low profile and flies under the radar, but so far is making Dan Ricc look ordinary. We all know Dan has gone to Renault with an eye on the 2021 rule changes, but in the meantime he has to beat his team mate. Not doing it at the moment though from what is evident.

Whatever, I think Cyril should do his talking in private as he made a big mistake openly criticising DR after Melbourne. That can't have been good for his confidence.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

(01-04-2019, 08:56 AM)morini Wrote:  Whatever, I think Cyril should do his talking in private as he made a big mistake openly criticising DR after Melbourne. That can't have been good for his confidence.

Agree with this^^^ I know how hard it is when joining a new team in your first year, over the years many good drivers have taken time to bed in, I also think we the fans & Daniel are finally finding out just how good Nico is, we always thought him good but his size (in my view) has counted against him.

I'm enjoying the battle & hope for a more reliable Renault, we need them in the battle.

As for who is the most disappointed? depends on what they promised Daniel before he joined, both need to step up their game, I'm hoping they don't start to look at each other badly or it wont end well.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

No doubt in my mind its Danny. He has gone from a competitive for a podium car to a midfield team that on paper has regressed when compared to the competition. Naturally after just two races its a small sample size. As regards peoples comments about Hulkenberg whether Danny is there or not I think Nico is very respected as a driver, would he be any worse than Bottas or dare I even say Vettel in one of the top cars, we will probably never know.

I think he was right in many ways for leaving Red Bull where he was a clear number two to the anointed one and I am sad to say we may never see how good he was in a truly top car. His best hope is driving for Ferrari or Mercedes in 2021. Other than that he will just be remembered for being a Great guy who on his day was almost as good as anyone but without the race stats to show it.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(01-04-2019, 02:28 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I think he was right in many ways for leaving Red Bull where he was a clear number two to the anointed one

This is the crux of it. Dan was between a rock and a hard place with no seats available at Ferrari or Mercedes. Perfectly undertandable he didn't want to play wingman to Max Versappen. He needs to knuckle down now and prove he is better than Nico Hulkenberg, because if he doesn't then I don't see him in a top flight team again (obviously assuming Renault don't ace the new regs in 2021).

There are too many young talented options coming through the ranks. Daniel might well have missed his chance at a WDC winning car already. As a prime example, I'd love to see Lando Norris in a more competitive car.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

It's too early to tell. Danny new, Nico embedded in the team for a number of years. Personally I imagine when Danny is settled, he and Nico will always be very close and very little to separate them.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 5 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(01-04-2019, 07:17 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  It's too early to tell. Danny new, Nico embedded in the team for a number of years. Personally I imagine when Danny is settled, he and Nico will always be very close and very little to separate them.

Was thinking the same thing, but I am not sure yet.

To answer the question; I think Ricciardo is the most dissapointed (especially with his teamboss).
[+] 5 users Like Antilochos's post

I really think it's a hard one. Essentially I think Danny knew Renault were not going to be challenging at the front of the grid, he must have known that. But essentially from 4 Renault powered cars in two races they've had 5 retirements, and all five have had something to do with PU's. Carlos was worrying for them in Australia as it was essentially everything shutting down, and that's what appears to have happened to both Hulk and Danny in Bahrain. Hell, Danny's engine was over heating apparently in Australia and they retired him as a precaution to save his engine, Ditto Sainz in Bahrain too. So, the thing which caused Danny so much pain over the previous seasons, the Renault PU, is still a hunk of crap. That's got to be brutally disappointing, and massively demoralising, so I do think he's going to be disappointed in Renault right now...

But on the other hand he's just not doing a good job. He was way off of Hulkenberg's pace throughout winter testing, he looked decidedly second best of the pair in Australia, and in Bahrain he was not even close really all weekend. Danny has so far failed to deliver his best, and I think Renault will be very disappointed in that, especially given they've made him one of the best paid drivers on the grid, up there with SEB and Lewis by all accounts, that's certainly how Horner see's it. Danny didn't deserve Cyril's public criticism, but I have to say what Cyril said was spot on, he should've kept it private, but he's not wrong.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post