Pre-season testing 2019

(01-03-2019, 09:48 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  As to Ferrari being 0.5 seconds ahead of Mercedes, that's not media hyperbole, that Lewis Hamilton, and they're just reporting what he said.

Not sure, but did you read my thoughts from earlier? If I were Lewis Hamilton i would be saying *exactly this* after a testing week, regardless of real or perceived performance. Do you really think (honestly) the top teams have shown what they have got? Are Ferrari that confident they are pack leaders? I seriously doubt it.

Come on Jody, we do this every year. The media always says "Ferrari firm favourites going into Melbourne" (perhaps they genuinely do have an edge this year, "who knows" at this point). Yet recent history shows testing form in February counts for sweet f**k all come the opening weekend. This is why I'm a cynical, skeptical basta*d when it comes to smoke and mirrors winter testing times. Hype, hype, hyperbole and more hype.

Lets see where we are post Melbourne and we can all start making some judgements then.

Based on last season I'm expecting Ferrari and Mercedes to be very close in car performance. Lets use that as a jump off point rather than pointless speculation based on the last two weeks of Barcelona testing.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Mercedes’ Valtteri Bottas has joined several other drivers in their belief that following and overtaking will be easier in 2019.

Daniel Ricciardo, Kevin Magnussen and Sergio Perez have all spoken of positive experiences in testing to give them belief that the 2019 aero updates will achieve their aim of improving overtaking.

And now Bottas has become the latest driver to ditch the negativity which had dominated the paddock.

Speaking via GPFans, he said: “You can feel there is more drag, and that alone improves slipstreaming because the guy in front is creating a bigger hole in the air.

“Everyone is talking about the front wing, and I also have the impression that it has become a little easier to follow a car.

“But I think the bigger effect will be the (larger) DRS. All in all, I think overtaking will be easier.

“If you follow now, the car feels more stable and the handling is more predictable. We are moving in the right direction."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Lets hope they are correct, although Melbourne will probably not be a fair test, as usual.

Lewis/Merc still trotting out the same old 'Ferrari are quickest' negativity as last year. Ferrari may well be quickest (too early to tell IMO), but there's no need to keep labouring the point, lol
[+] 4 users Like DRicc's post

(03-03-2019, 11:53 PM)DRicc Wrote:  Lets hope they are correct, although Melbourne will probably not be a fair test, as usual.

Lewis/Merc still trotting out the same old 'Ferrari are quickest' negativity as last year. Ferrari may well be quickest (too early to tell IMO), but there's no need to keep labouring the point, lol

Nice to see you posting on here DRicc.

Be interesting to see how your guy does against Hülkenberg this year.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Cant remember who but someone queried a while back the amount of tyres allocated per test...

Pirelli Formula 1 boss Mario Isola has rejected "rumours" he has heard about teams not being supplied enough tyres for testing, citing good weather and reliability for unusually high mileage.
Teams have been limited to 40 sets of slick tyres per test since the number of pre-season tests was reduced from three to two in 2016, a decision made by the FIA and not F1's tyre supplier.
Over the last two weeks in Spain the 10 F1 teams completed more than 25,000 miles between them - 2000 more than in 2018, and 3800 more than '17.
That led to some teams claiming their programmes being limited by the number of tyres they had available.
"I heard some comments, rumours about some teams not happy about the number of sets available for testing," said Isola.

"It [the number of sets] was reduced because the number of test days were reduced.

"In proportion, it's the same number of sets they've had for the last 10 years, probably.
"Obviously this year with these good weather conditions and with the cars that are very reliable, all the teams had the opportunity to run a lot more than in the past.
"But I don't think that the number of sets is not enough."
The teams' tally of 25,279 miles is particularly impressive considering Williams missed two and a half days of running.
It is only a few hundred miles shy of the two biggest totals since the V6 turbo-hybrid era began: nine teams completed 25,563 miles across three tests in 2015, while 11 teams managed 25,829 over the two '16 pre-season tests.
Tyre use is therefore more of a stretch for the teams, which have 20 sets fewer than in 2014 and '15 despite matching or exceeding the mileage.
But Isola is adamant the tyre allocation is still enough for the teams to get ready for the new season.
He explained that with two sets of prototype tyres for each test, plus an additional set of the softest-compound tyres that was made available to everybody, the teams had 85 sets of slick tyres for the two tests.
Teams were allowed to carry over 10 sets from the opening test, although not all of these available extra tyres were nominated for test two.

Isola claimed that the minimum number of sets of tyres available to a team on the final day of testing was 12, with the highest being 21.
"They started the [second] test with 42-50 sets for four days," he said.

"Consider that they are also running a lot of race simulations, and you run a lot of kilometres with the same sets of tyres.
"Obviously you need a higher number of sets when you make a qualifying simulation.
"I feel they are not running out of sets of tyres, honestly."
Isola said it was also significant that teams had complete freedom of choice with their selection of available compounds for testing.
He also noted that the motivation behind the FIA's limitation of tyres was to "avoid a huge escalation of cost".

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

It was what was posted on the F1 website, yep the OFFICIAL website. There is stated, ambiguously, that teams had 110 sets for the season. Seems that number is wrong even when only talking about tyres for testing.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

2018 pole vs 2019 testing fastest comparison. Again, take what you want from it, but very interesting to see the corner gains for 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpf-W5-CoYc

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post