Russell to drive for Williams

Williams rookie George Russell was only able to see the start lights on his Formula 1 debut by looking at a reflection from windows by the side of the track.

After complaints following the Australian Grand Prix that the higher 2019 rear wings blocked some drivers' view of the start lights.

Russell, who started at the back of the grid in Melbourne, said it caused him to have a "terrible" start.
"I pulled up onto the grid, looked up and realised I couldn't see anything and I kind of shat my pants," he admitted.

"I was looking all around and I ended up seeing the lights through the reflection of the Paddock Club [F1 hospitality] windows.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

That is an absolutely awful situation for a driver to be in on a start grid.

Having said that, given he's in arguably the shitist Williams ever he's doing a grand job.
[+] 6 users Like Jody Barton's post

The rumours continue to circulate that George Russell is looking for another drive. Rather ironic as the main reason he isn't in Bottas seat next year is Claire Williams wanting to hold on to him. There do not appear to be any Mercedes backed seats available so what are the options?

1. Mercedes rip up VB's contract and put him next to Lewis.
2. He replaces Lewis, who still hasn't committed to anything after this season.
3. A non Mercedes backed team take him on (Haas have 2 seats!!).
4. He sits out 2021 as Mercedes reserve driver.
5. Something else.

Merc don't seem to good with respect to bringing on their young drivers. Wehrlein and Ocon being good examples of badly managed young talents in the Mercedes young driver pool (I know some people think Ocon is over hyped).

It would be a damn shame to lose a British youngster like George Russell. For me he has every bit as much potential as Leclerc and Verstappen
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

It would be a damn shame not to have GR on the grid.....unfortunately I dont see options 1 & 2 being realistic and number 3 is doubtful imo.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(22-10-2020, 09:48 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  It would be a damn shame not to have GR on the grid.....unfortunately I dont see options 1 & 2 being realistic and number 3 is doubtful imo.

So you're going for option 4 then? I too think that is the most likely outcome.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

I hope for scenario 1, but 4 seems the more realistic.

But anything can happen. Market seems more in motion then I thought.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

Would love option 1 I don’t even think option 4 is an option currently may have to comeback at a later date if that’s impossible and the rumours are true of course

George has dismissed rumors about his future: "I will be on the grid next year with Williams. I have a contract for next season also, Nothing has changed"

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(22-10-2020, 04:04 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  George has dismissed rumors about his future: "I will be on the grid next year with Williams. I have a contract for next season also, Nothing has changed"

Just like Perez had a contract and would drive for Racing Point next season...
[+] 4 users Like Antilochos's post

(22-10-2020, 04:48 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Just like Perez had a contract and would drive for Racing Point next season...

Exactly. I was going to post the same thing.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post