Russell to drive for Williams

George Russell says he would welcome the “challenge” of having reigning F1 world champion Max Verstappen as his next Mercedes teammate.  (Crash/AutoSport)

With the controversy surrounding Christian Horner not dying down amid a rumoured fallout and internal politics within the Red Bull camp, speculation about Verstappen’s future has ramped up.

There have been suggestions that the three-time world champion could be on Mercedes’ radar to replace Hamilton with team boss Toto Wolff spotted deep in conversation with the Dutchman’s father, Jos Verstappen, after the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix.

Asked if he could see what would be a blockbuster switch becoming reality, Russell replied: “I think any team want to have the best driver line-up possible and right now Max is the best driver on the grid.

“So if any team had the chance to sign Max they’d 100% be taking it. I think the question is more on the other side, on his side and on Red Bull’s side.

“Obviously so much going on there and we don’t know what truly is going on behind closed doors and ultimately it’s none of our business.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

Hell will need to freeze over before Verstappen will leave Red Bull and their dominating car.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(06-03-2024, 05:34 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Russell replied: “I think any team want to have the best driver line-up possible and right now Max is the best driver on the grid.

Can't say I outright agree Max Verstappen is the best driver on the grid, though he is obviously right up there. He has certainly got all the momentum and he is up against a clearly inferior teammate. However, the car gives him a massive advantage over the rest of the field before it has even turned a wheel. Even Perez (who is both tier 2 and a broken man IMO) can come through the field with relative ease in that car.
[+] 6 users Like morini's post

(06-03-2024, 05:51 PM)morini Wrote:  Can't say I outright agree Max Verstappen is the best driver on the grid

Even Perez (who is both tier 2 and a broken man IMO) can come through the field with relative ease in that car.

Agree, I don't like him much, but I think he's in the top group, I would love to see him against another top driver, Danny ran him very close & Lando destroyed him, pretty much the only yardstick we have.

This is my problem with a lot of Max fans, Fernando & Lewis have had three WDC team mates, who has Max had in the same car? often they say to me "what about Bottas" well I think he is better than any team mate Max has had.

It would be interesting if Carlos returns to Red Bull, he has come on really well since he left, over a race distance I can't quite tell who is better between him & Charles.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post