2018 United States GP

Dunno what it means for my D.T. - but yeah, I'm gonna gloat over this one, Smile

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/haas-...d/3200031/

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 2 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

LL Kimi made a mistake under the VSC it caught him out I think around turn 1 and he went wide because of it, I was surprised the race feed didn't pick it up, or show it again. Lewis at VSC speed just shortened the corner and as Kimi came back on the track he found himself right behind him.

Personally very disappointed to hear about both Ocon and Magnussen. The teams shouldn't be exceeding fuel flow rates. That's a school boy error and one the drivers actually can't monitor.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(22-10-2018, 08:20 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Personally very disappointed to hear about both Ocon and Magnussen. The teams shouldn't be exceeding fuel flow rates. That's a school boy error and one the drivers actually can't monitor.

Yep, team error. Can't really blame the drivers there.

Only just noticed, Mexico is next weekend. For some reason I had it in my head that there was a two week break. All good, less time to kill.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Can you blame the guy??....Ricciardo "put his fist through wall" after US GP exit

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricci...r/3199872/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(22-10-2018, 09:35 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Can you blame the guy??....Ricciardo "put his fist through wall" after US GP exit

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricci...r/3199872/

Horrible luck and its only going to get worse!!
[+] 4 users Like LotusLover's post

I fear you're right LL, I think Renault next year will claim yet again it is a transition year for them... home many of those have they had in the turbo-hybrid era. Changed the architecture of their engine completely in 2015. Then again in 2017, and again in 2018. Doing so again in 2019, something tells me Renault's engineers have been hopelessly lost for the past 5 years. Here's hoping that they finally get themselves on the right track, because Ferrari and Honda are seemingly converging around Mercedes philosophy with Renault being the last stubborn hold outs. However, I wouldn't expect much from Renault in 2019.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

"Mercedes had multiple problems in Austin" - Hamilton

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce...n/3200207/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(22-10-2018, 06:01 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  "Mercedes had multiple problems in Austin" - Hamilton

Yep called Kimi and Max Smile
[+] 5 users Like LotusLover's post

(22-10-2018, 06:01 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  "Mercedes had multiple problems in Austin" - Hamilton

No to be fair to Lewis he lost so it had to be the cars fault didn’t it  Tongue
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post

I thought the race was a very interesting one. First and foremost it was a really well driven and deserved win for Raikkonen, I wish I could be equally complimentary to his team mate but yet again Vettel screwed up. I have to say I have been hard on Max Verstappen since his arrival but if Max had committed as many mistakes as Vettel this season he would be getting hell, certainly far more than Vettel is receiving.

Everything we have been saying about Mercedes switched this weekend the Ferrari looked faster (I dont know if it actually was) and it managed its tyres far better than the Mercedes did. With that in mind I dont know if Mercedes made a mistake strategy wise or they were forced into it. To me they stopped Hamilton way too early and to expect him to go the rest of the race on one set AND remain quick enough was clearly not going to happen. James Allison said they did not get sufficient information in the wet running to set the car up correctly, well Ferrari did James!

That said that Mercedes got Hamilton into a position which is pretty much an unassailable one. Unless he cannot race the the last three races he will be the Champion, but even if he did not can you honestly see Vettel winning three races in a row? No, me neither. I do not have the same bigoted views of Vettel as many I still think he is a great driver but he needs to work on his mental toughness because he has been owned this year. Far too many mistakes especially for a 4 time WDC. I think he may well but under a different kind of pressure next year I think Leclerc will push him and push him hard, that will be one of the most interesting things to watch next season.

I love COTA I think its a great race track but I found it very interesting that the so called Mighty Mercedes could not pass Raikonnens Ferrari or Verstappens Red Bull even with a tyre advantage albeit a small one by the time they dueled. I keep hearing about Red Bulls plight of being stuck with a poor engine, well I am not buying that anymore. I am calling BS. Its the whole package that counts not just one element. I see some of you think Renault will be massively down on power next season, that will be something to watch. However, somethings do not add up. Red Bull run a Renault engine and are ahead of both the Renault works team and McLaren. BUT they are equally much better than the rest of the field that includes both Mercedes and Ferrari engined teams. Are they that far ahead of everyone on aero and chassis? (Jody?) I have a hard time believing that in a sport that is so close in so many other aspects.

The midfield race was very interesting, Hulkenbergs fastest lap was the best of the rest and Renault looked pretty good and I was somewhat shocked they beat both Force India and Haas cars. Williams looked hopelessly inadequate and were so slow being in the 1.40's. I am sure most if not all are working on 2019 cars now with the possible exception of Mercedes and Ferrari and even they are probably done after Mexico.

Well on to Mexico, where I am sure Hamilton will mathematically seal his 5th title I may be biased but I think it is well deserved he has dominated Vettel in the second half of the season. Lets be honest prior to Australia we all knew it was just a two horse race, I hope next year a few more horses are involved!
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post