General Driver Discussion

(03-12-2018, 11:44 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I can see all sides of this debate, and agree with all in some regards... for me Max is the most "exciting" driver we currently have, you never quite know what Max we are going to get on any given day, does he need to polish the rough edges? yep....but at the same time I hope not too much, he is the one driver that all others seem to fear (ok, fear might not be the right term but he certainly gets their attention more than others) and keep well out of his way, they know full well he is coming past or through one way or other...take your pick! Schumacher and Senna....like Max now also had their opponents (mentally) half beaten when approaching the rear of their cars, I really hope Max can have a regular race winning car under him throughout the coming seasons and challenge week in week out.... all without changing his Mad Max style too much Wink

I'd agree with most of that as well. What Jody says about his dubious defending is also true though. All of this needs to be considered in the context of MV now being an experienced F1 driver, what with 2019 being his 5th season in the sport. I've no doubt about his raw speed, but I do doubt his judement and levelheadedness on occasion. He beat his team mate convincingly, but in my mind DR is the better Sunday driver (at the moment) regardless of the end of year stadings. Max is clearly faster than Dan though. MV will be a multiple WDC, but if he wants to start fighting with the top dogs regularly next year then (in my opinion) he needs to consider the percentages more often.

Everyone knows my views on the Interlagos MV/Ocon incident. Hamilton was spot on with his comments post race on that one. Yes Ocon was a complete tit racing with the leader, but if Hamilton / Vettel / Alonso / <insert experienced driver> were in that situation they would have left space and won the race. In a way it's undertandable as he hasn't front run that much in F1, but he threw away that race win himself. 

Simple. As. That. Wink

Love watching him drive though as he has that "special" level of raw pace. Can't wait to see how LeClerc stacks up against him. Just a shame Ocon isn't in the mix with them (if you listen to Jacques Villeneuve he says Ocon be in the Merc part way through 2019).
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Can't disagree with anything you've said there Morini, because I agree with it all. I too predict Ocon will be in the Mercedes part way through 2019 if Bottas isn't on fire. I would then almost expect Bottas back at Williams, because I have a sneaky suspicion Kubica won't hack it.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

I take it we all saw Kimi tearing up the FIA awards and social media having a field day?

[Image: Dt1z_psX4AM6AJa.jpg]
[Image: Dt2DXrPW0AA_3s-.jpg]

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Was just about to comment on this also, loving the "before & after photo"....gotta love Kimi

Kimi was the star at last night’s prize-giving gala
https://www.planetf1.com/news/kimi-was-t...ving-gala/

More of Kimi...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1071134784707948544

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Mercedes Formula 1 driver Valtteri Bottas will kick off his 2019 season by making his competitive rallying debut in Finland in an M-Sport Ford Fiesta World Rally Car.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/botta...d/4311688/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Hopefully he will switch sports Smile
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(12-12-2018, 04:28 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Hopefully he will switch sports Smile

I take it you disagree with Toto`s comment about Bottas being an "Alpha" like Lewis then?  Tongue

Mercedes’ Toto Wolff has reiterated how important Valtteri Bottas was to the team’s Formula 1 title double this season, and says Bottas and Lewis Hamilton are both “alpha” drivers.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolff...s/4312070/

(12-12-2018, 05:01 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(12-12-2018, 04:28 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Hopefully he will switch sports Smile

I take it you disagree with Toto`s comment about Bottas being an "Alpha" like Lewis then?  Tongue

Mercedes’ Toto Wolff has reiterated how important Valtteri Bottas was to the team’s Formula 1 title double this season, and says Bottas and Lewis Hamilton are both “alpha” drivers.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolff...s/4312070/

Bottas a alpha driver. Really?
[+] 3 users Like Antilochos's post

PMSL...

Alpha must mean something entirely different in Motorsport.

Wink
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

(12-12-2018, 06:26 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Bottas a alpha driver. Really?

Sounds like Toto is blowing smoke up Valtteri`s ass so he will play ball ......until the p45 arrives on his doorstep.