2018 Russian GP

So would it be a fair assumption to say if Mercedes have solved their tyre issue out then they now have a better car overall? The fact Lewis and Mercedes did a sterling job of jumping the SF whilst not on top of their game will now reap benefits as the could claw ahead even more so??
[+] 1 user Likes LotusLover's post

Hmm... are Mercedes thinking they can take the Ultra Softs long into the race and then switch to the Hyper Softs? Hmmm... This might be a 2 stop, especially if there isn't the speed in the Softs, which there might not be. Might be HS - US - HS. Or HS - S... my thinking is that if you are going to make the one stop work you might need to get into Q3 on the US and go US - S. But Lewis is just trying US - HS.

Lewis looking good on short and long stints. I think Ferrari will turn it around overnight though.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(28-09-2018, 02:30 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  So would it be a fair assumption to say if Mercedes have solved their tyre issue out then they now have a better car overall? The fact Lewis and Mercedes did a sterling job of jumping the SF whilst not on top of their game will now reap benefits as the could claw ahead even more so??

I like that scenario quite a lot  Music

(28-09-2018, 02:30 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  So would it be a fair assumption to say if Mercedes have solved their tyre issue out then they now have a better car overall? 

I honestly don't know LL. It's clear to me the Ferrari doesn't look happy right now, but I have to say we've said that before, and then Friday evening they sort it out and it's magic on Saturday. We also know the Ferrari hates cooler temps, hates, hates, HATES cooler temps, and this weekend Sochi is going to be very cool. Might just not be their weekend, Sochi is normally warmer, because we normally go there earlier in the year. Ferrari have some homework to do over the night, no question... do Mercedes have the faster car overall? Not sure, they seem to have the faster car here right now though, and they're on top of their tyre issues whereas Ferrari seem to have developed tyre issues. This is why F1 is interesting, Ferrari have put a lot of downforce on their car to help them even more with traction out of corners, but it's seemed to throw the balance of their car... FP3 is going to be key for Ferrari this weekend now.

You know what, Ferrari have a problem. Ocon's and Perez's long stints weren't too far off Seb's and Kimi's times. That's not good.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(28-09-2018, 02:38 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Ocon's and Perez's long stints weren't too far off Seb's and Kimi's times. That's not good.

Sandbagging!
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(28-09-2018, 02:59 PM)morini Wrote:  
(28-09-2018, 02:38 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Ocon's and Perez's long stints weren't too far off Seb's and Kimi's times. That's not good.

Sandbagging!

You don't sand bag on long runs Morini, that's the one thing we do know from FP2's this season, it doesn't make sense, the teams really, really need the tyre and lap time info as close to real conditions as possible, so that was genuinely Ferrari's pace this afternoon. It wasn't good. Really wasn't good. So bad in fact I think it has to be a mistake on set up. Ferrari will fix it over night, they just aren't using the tyres right again in cooler temps.

(28-09-2018, 03:52 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  You don't sand bag on long runs Morini, that's the one thing we do know from FP2's this season, it doesn't make sense, the teams really, really need the tyre and lap time info as close to real conditions as possible, so that was genuinely Ferrari's pace this afternoon. It wasn't good. Really wasn't good. So bad in fact I think it has to be a mistake on set up. Ferrari will fix it over night, they just aren't using the tyres right again in cooler temps.

Dunno if I agree with that. The teams always hide their true pace to a certain extent in practise sessions (even P2 long runs). That's why I never draw any conslusions from practice sessions, they are just entertainment as far as I'm concerned. Maybe Ferrari are genuinely off the pace, but I've seen Friday sessions where Mercedes have definately not shown what they can really do and it's al been turned around on race day. At this stage in the season they will be playing cards close to their chests.

I think Ferrari will be more worried about the one lap pace than the stints. But I bet even Hamilton doesn't really think he has half a second in his pocket. He's not that naive.

[Image: DoK-uDaXkAA3omg.jpg]
[Image: DoL1PsXX0AE9nRp.jpg]
[Image: DoMa7vDXsAAdmfx.jpg]

While I both can and cant see Jody's Ferrari comparison to Force India. There's no way Ferrari have lost 1-1.5s a lap pace. RAI 2nd pace on the Soft was sound. Morini could be right, sandbaggin/engine conservation w/e, Ferrari seriously down in the speed traps. It could be the norm from here on out.
Impossible to look past Merc, for the shutout. On average they have gained more time from FP2 to qually, and this has France repeat written all over it. They have the HS working nicely.
RedBull and VES had mega pace, after both cars went US > HS race sim. Starting near the back, contra strategy could be a given. Opening up a carvery in the closing stages of the race. om nom onmnom
A real midfield mix, again making Q2 a true highlight of the weekend. With RedBull at the back, two spaces going spare, could be anyones. FI and Haas and set in (I'd say). TR in the hands of GAS utilising the tracks characteristics that he has performed well at so far.

From one twitter source, may change.
Hypersoft - Ultrasoft:  0.9s/lap aporx
Ultrasoft - Soft: 0.8s/lap aporx

Predicted pole time: 1:31.4, but with more support races this year, it's going to be a much more rubbered in track, they could go well under this....

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Morini there have definitely been Friday's where teams are off the pace they ultimately have shown. However, it's more common that we have seen their genuine pace on Friday. I think Ferrari just haven't got their set up right. I do think this was their genuine pace today, it might not be what they are ultimately capable of when they have their car set up properly. I can't believe Lewis is 0.5 seconds up on Vettel, and if he is, then Ferrari are in trouble.