2018 Russian GP

Manufacturing Fog, that's why they have to pick tyres several weeks in advance, so Pirelli can make them.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(27-09-2018, 09:19 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Manufacturing Fog, that's why they have to pick tyres several weeks in advance, so Pirelli can make them.

Thanks Jody, yeah I thought that was an issue, which also I think strengthens the argument for a second tyre manufacturer, i.e. bring back tyre wars, but that's a whole other thing

But I thought they were allocated so far in advance though, and why couldn't say a team, use the tyres they have allocated to the "Team" yet, swap tyre allocation between drivers within the team if that suited their strategy, on how FP1 / 2 / or 3 played out?

But I guess thems the rules as they stand at present

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 2 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

Latest F1 tech updates, direct from the garages

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-te...p/3184496/

The Haas F1 team has asked the FIA for two sets of replacement tyres after they were damaged in an overnight fire in the team's garage in Russia....

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/haas-...e/3184674/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

So far it looks close, but you know what Lewis on the Softs being only 0.3 off of Vettel who was on the Hyper Softs looks quite good, especially if Lewis can get the Hypers working.

And Mercedes are working on long runs on the Softs already, and looking very, very comfortable. Have to say Ocon and Giovinazzi impressing this session.

No one on Sky wants to talk about the fact that Lewis did his time on the Softs, while Seb did all his running on the Hypers.

I have to say, were I Ferrari I'd be concerned not only by how quick Lewis' lap was on the Softs, but by how quick those race sim laps were, Lewis roughly 3 seconds down per lap on the quickest time, yet when Seb tried doing just a couple of race sim laps on the Hypers he was 4 seconds down, then 5 seconds down and then nearly 6 seconds down on his own ultimate pace. I think they're all going to have to go through Q2 on the Hyper Softs here, and you can't really manage the race pace here in Sochi like you can in Singapore. If those Hypers fall apart after a couple of laps they'll need to switch to the Softs, which Ferrari just do not like. I'd say at this point Mercedes will be the happier garage, despite Lewis having issues with Turn 2.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

I didn't see any of it, but was wathing the text updates online. It's only P1, but I'd say Mercedes don't have much to worry about. Ferrari really need the RBR's to get in between them, but unless it's a weird race I can't see that happening.

This is normally a comfy 1 stopper, no?
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(28-09-2018, 11:20 AM)morini Wrote:  I didn't see any of it, but was wathing the text updates online. It's only P1, but I'd say Mercedes don't have much to worry about. Ferrari really need the RBR's to get in between them, but unless it's a weird race I can't see that happening.

This is normally a comfy 1 stopper, no?

Firstly there's no way that RBR are getting in between Ferrari and Mercedes given they're both (Max and Danny) taking engine penalties.

Secondly it's only FP1 and we'll see how it looks in FP2, but it does look like Mercedes and Lewis might have this covered.

Thirdly yes, it's usually an easy one stop race, but you can't nurse these Hyper Softs in Russia. No way. So if they don't last you'll be crossing your fingers that either the Ultrasofts will take you to the end, or in the case of Ferrari that your car doesn't destroy the Softs. The race sims are going to be interesting in FP2.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

I dont think teams are going to baby the Hypersoft in a race here the track is just too fast. There is a Huge difference between Singapore and Sochi. I wonder if the top teams could possibly qualify on Ultra Softs, I dont think so but we shall see!

EDIT: Sorry Jody I should have read back a little you are saying the same thing (I am impressed with myself Smile )
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Mercedes seemingly have got this covered. Lewis wasn't pushing on those Hyper Soft runs and is just over half a second up the road. Cool off lap go again and again. Lewis is looking in good shape and as normal it seems like Ferrari have some work to do. The car under Seb doesn't look great around the long sweeping turn 4 or is it 3? The roundabout turn.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

What time is qualy tomorrow? I looked into wifi on the flight and it specifically says "no streaming media". But I could follow the live text updates I suppose.

[edit] 2pm UK time. I hope tomorrows flight does have wifi! Not all do, apparantly.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Wow!!! These Hyper Softs won't do 5 laps in a competitive time. There's zero chance the leaders will be able to comfortably gap the midfielders on these Hypers for their first pit stop. They're going to need to try and get into Q3 on the Ultras, they really are. Perhaps if Red Bull don't bother running in Q2 because of the engine penalties then maybe Mercedes and Ferrari might scrape in on the Ultra Softs. However, the Ultra Softs on Lewis' car are just going and going, no issues. The Softs would probably last until the end of time.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post