2018 Russian GP

Not a lot of love for the Russian race on here and its hardly surprising. It is yet another soulless track sponsored by the State all in the name of promoting the Country rather than being a F1 spectacle. I can find nothing nice to write about the track itself the only thing I like is the mountainous backdrop!

I fancy we will see a little push back from Ferrari this weekend for all the debate about faster cars I think theirs has just a little more top end speed than the Mercedes. I would counter that by saying I think the Mercedes is now the car that handles its tyres better than Ferrari but no matter I cannot think of a single corner on this track where an overtake is a credible opportunity other than perhaps the first true corner at the end of the opening angled straight (at least for the front runners on each other).

Red Bull have next to no chance of winning this race (unless something major happens with the top two teams) and it is rumoured both cars will take new engines here for the rest of the races to come. The midfield race will be a little more exciting but barely.

The last five races to come are all on pretty good tracks (I am in the minority I quite like Abu Dhabi) with perhaps Suzuka and COTA being two of my personal favourites. Despite what many say this is not over for either Hamilton or Ferrari. One DNF/WIN for Vettel and its wide open again and Ferrari could still catch Mercedes for the Constructors. It is still all to play for.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

Both Red Bulls will take engine penalties in Russia it seems, so it'll definitely be a straight shoot out between Mercedes and Ferrari:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/artic...QUO2g.html

Not sure it'll be worth watching, or even if Red Bull weren't taking penalties they'd be in the fight.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

PS. My long range weather forcast is predicting ambient temps of around 18*C on both Saturday and Sunday, but with cloud coverage on Saturday during qualifying, meaning temps, both ambient and track, should be cooler than previous races in Sochi.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(25-09-2018, 01:14 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  PS. My long range weather forcast is predicting ambient temps of around 18*C on both Saturday and Sunday, but with cloud coverage on Saturday during qualifying, meaning temps, both ambient and track, should be cooler than previous races in Sochi.

What does your long range weather forecast say about the following Friday, Saturday and Sunday? Don't say pissing down with rain!
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Well it's saying Friday will be a washout I'm afraid Morini, but that both Saturday and Sunday will be Quite nice.

(25-09-2018, 03:24 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Well it's saying Friday will be a washout I'm afraid Morini, but that both Saturday and Sunday will be Quite nice.

I'll take that!
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

https://formulaone21.wordpress.com/2018/...preview-2/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

[Image: DoBTUzOWkAA3en6.jpg]

DRS 1 detection and zone moved to earlier in the lap.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Elements used up to Sochi Russian GP
[Image: DoF7T81X0AApLNc.jpg:large]

Team expected to take new elements and subsequently penalties.
Toro Rosso to take new spec Honda engines.
RedBull to take Spec B Renault Engines.
McLaren to take Spec B Renault Engines.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 5 users Like Monster Hesh's post

I Love my F1, as we all do, and look forward to ever single race weekend, even some of some of the not so great tracks, but Russia sucks the big one, sure some of yous guys probably already know some of this stuff, but I've come to like these guys vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GwA76a7f_M

9 min clip, feel free to stop watching after the first 2 mins, it's depressing enough - they do make a pick for it being a Bottas track though, but I can't see Merc at this stage not doing the ole switch-eer-oo, if that did happen

and as a side note - on the choosing of tyres - does anyone know what the logic is behind teams and drivers, having to chose tyres, several weeks beforehand?

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me, then again I'm a bit thick sometimes Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 1 user Likes Foghorn Leghorn's post