Poll: Does Bottas deserve his Mercedes seat? - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
16.67%
16.67%
No
83.33%
83.33%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Bottas, does he deserve his Mercedes seat?

Well someone just suggested an interesting way to get shot of Bottas, offer him to Force India and pay his wages for two years plus engines, give Stroll someone to aim for / learn off and get Ocon in the Mercedes. Would never happen, but if I were Toto I'd be on the phone already.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(16-09-2018, 08:06 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Well someone just suggested an interesting way to get shot of Bottas, offer him to Force India and pay his wages for two years plus engines, give Stroll someone to aim for / learn off and get Ocon in the Mercedes. Would never happen, but if I were Toto I'd be on the phone already.

Now that is an interesting spin!

And Neil, I do think VB has genuine pace but his mind may not be in the best place at this moment in time. I'm not trying to defend his performances, I'm just trying to put myself in his shoes and inject a bit of perspective.

But for what it is worth, I myself no longer believe he is the right person for that car.

Regarding it being too early for Russell, I sort of agree, but Hamilton came straight into a win capable car and did very well. Sometimes you've got to take a punt on talent.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

It’s a No for me, Bottas simply isn’t in the same league as Lewis Vettel Verstappen or Alonso, nice chap but hesitant and misses that killer streak that the others possess, personally I want to see Verstappen in that car, 2020 is a strong possibility for him in my view, depending how RBR/Honda situation develops obviously!
[+] 4 users Like LotusLover's post

On the fence, but voted yes. If only for the fact he's contributing to the WCC haul and is obviously a team player.

(there are better drivers who could be in that car though)
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

I think there are a few ways to look at it Morini, either he's doing enough to help them win the WCC and allow the team to focus on Hamilton, so he's there by virtue of team harmony. Or you look at his performances relative to his team mate and conclude he's not even in the same formula for long periods of time. I'm a racer at heart, and I personally want to see drivers push each other, put each other under stress and strain. However, I'm not seeing that from Bottas, and when you have a driver like Ocon waiting in the wings, who I think could do just as good a job, but potentially a far better job I come down on the side of no. However, I 100% see the other side of the argument, and understand that a smooth running team is also vitally important sometimes. I think if Leclerc comes into Ferrari and starts challenging Vettel straight away there'll be fireworks there and we'll see the other side to the argument.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

@Jody, I can't argue against any of that.

I've always been a bit of a Bottas champion but there is no denying he has been disappointing this season. I think there are reasons his performance has suffered markedly since the summer break and a lot of it is in his head. Still feel he's got a lot of natural speed, but as you know I've always had doubts about his race craft / Sunday performances.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

https://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/wolff...tal-state/

Toto Wolff has admitted he is concerned about Valtteri Bottas.

To quote Martin Brundle "If Toto knew what he knows now Ocon would be in the other seat"

Wolff, the Mercedes team boss, says the Finnish driver was having a good season until he had to start taking a back seat to Lewis Hamilton's title charge.
"Valtteri was very good until then," Wolff said in Abu Dhabi.

"I believe that when you have no more chances in the championship, it hurts you mentally."
On top of that have been rumours that, for 2020, Mercedes has reserved Bottas' race seat for Esteban Ocon.

It could mean Bottas is set to struggle psychologically through 2019 as well.
"I hope that is not what is happening," Wolff said.

"He assures me otherwise, as he is a real Finnish warrior, but now we have to get him back on his feet and in good shape."

Bottas admitted that he is glad a difficult 2018 season for him is now over.

"The season did not go as I would have liked, so I'm pretty happy that it's over," he said in Abu Dhabi.
"Now I need some time to think about things. Mentally it's been a tough year."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

I think Bottas has finally seen what it takes to be a WDC and I think when he looks at himself in the mirror he doesn't think he has what it takes. I really believe that's what is happening, his comments with regards to Lewis' performances and ability to always improve sound utterly defeatist, as have some of his comments about not understanding why there are such big gaps at times, or why he fails to perform. He sounds beaten. Had Toto held off making the decision about Mercedes second seat until say Japan / Russia I think we'd be seeing Ocon in that car next year, hell, if Bottas has a bad start to the season we might see Ocon in the car before the summer break.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

It's a big decision for Merc.....Bottas has made Lewis a better driver because he does not pressure him in the race....Lewis feels he has the beating of him and it lets him channel his thoughts on the Ferrari's and Red Bulls....

What Merc need to decide is....is it worth having a slightly inferior no 2 driver to allow the #1 to flourish...or put someone in that seat to really challenge Lewis and risk losing the title to Seb or Max...and the constructors to Ferrari as I think the Bulls will suffer performance and reliability under Honda ...
Me...I'd keep the status quo for however long Bottas is willing to.....If it aint broke don't fix it......simples.

So does Bottas deserve the seat ???.....Yip.

Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls.
[+] 3 users Like pennywise's post

When you put it like that Ian, yeah Bottas is the perfect No2, hasnt got what it takes to beat his team mate (barring failures/ LH has a bad day) and willing to do what he is told, however we all know Toto has the horn for Ocon so in that respect I dont see Bottas around much longer.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post