Mercedes 'B' Team

(16-09-2018, 11:08 AM)NeilP Wrote:  If we were to consider every angle on every subject and consequentially effects Jody it would pretty much require a thesis to be written on every subject. This is a simple website with people who just love and understand the sport at differing levels of knowledge. Me personally I have a very basic understanding of the sport but I enjoy it immensely and I enjoy reading all viewpoints it enhances my fun!

I agree that there are differing levels of knowledge and understanding, no problem with that, but if that's the case you must allow those of us who have thought about this very topic for over 10 years now to put all of our thoughts down, and express our subtle opinions. I'm very, very rarely going to come down definitively in any camp, on almost any subject in F1, unless there is overwhelming evidence to support one side of an argument. For me there is far more subtlety to the sport than simply black or white, yes or no, night or day. 

I'm not a fan of the idea of B-teams, I'm just not, but if they are allowed to exist then having opposition to Mercedes or indeed Renault, who apparently have muttered that if the trend continues they might need to consider a B-team, is hypocritical. Given the current state of the finances in F1 I happen to think the only way a new team can come into the sport is via the backing of a manufacturer. It really is that simple. So on balance of argument, yeah, I'd be OK with a Mercedes B-team, as long as it brought two more cars to the grid, I'd still be OK with it if the B-team were a buy out of another team on the grid, because that's what has happened elsewhere, but I wouldn't be "happy" about it if you get what I mean.

Looking at it purely from Mercedes point of view, they will need to invest in a B-team, because the advantages Ferrari / Sauber and Red Bull / Toro Rosso will have going forward will be far too big for them to combat as a single team. Were I Toto I'd be pushing a Mercedes B-team onto the grid as soon as possible. You see, it's all about perspective. It's quite clear to me that the era of the "pure" garagistas (as Fog calls them) is absolutely coming to an end, and the nostalgic fool in me finds that sad, but it is clear we're entering the age of the manufacturers. Renaults progress as a team since coming back into the sport has been phenomenal. I can't see any other way for us to get teams into the sport, or for them to be competitive without the support of manufacturers.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Jody - I dont want you to think I was having a go at you. Your stuff is always must read I am full of admiration for your knowledge and have and will continue to enjoy reading your thoughts!
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

I'm torn on this, really...

I don't like the idea of "B" teams, particularly - it doesn't seem fair that drivers will have pressure to keep out of the way of their "A" team, but be expected not to let anyone else past, for example.

But.

In these days of expensive, high-tech racing (which, I suspect is what we all want from F1!) it is more than a bit much to expect 10 teams to find the funding to develop all their own kit to a remotely competitive level.

And a team using customer engines must be some way towards being the engine manufacturer's "B" team, even if that isn't explicitly stated

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I hope the bright sparks running F1 can come up with a reasonable answer.

Not holding my breath though, I want a blue Jaag as a retirement toy, not to go blue in the face Big Grin

Insert witty signature here...
[+] 5 users Like Gojira's post

Gojira I think most of us are split on the whole B-teams thing. It'd be far better if the sport didn't have them, and didn't need them. However, right now the sport does have them, and it quite clearly needs them. I think it is only a matter of time before Mercedes bite the bullet and get themselves a second team too, it's almost inevitable now.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post