Lando Norris

(03-10-2019, 05:20 PM)NeilP Wrote:  
(03-10-2019, 12:52 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Lando Norris now managed by Mercedes. (Planet F1)

Anyone want to expand their thoughts on this move?

The only way I can view it is they are possibly lining up Norris for a future drive (maybe 2021) in the works team, other than that surely it makes no sense. Obviously probably supplying McLaren engines at a hugely discounted price. This would fit in with the fact they have lost control of Esteban Ocon and are keen to replace him with a young driver propect (what about Russell).

Well, Mercedes might think that betting on more than one horse is better (and I agree). Why would they not?
At one point Hamilton will leave F1 (and we all know Bottas is not the one). They make sure to choose from Norris, Russell and maybe Verstappen. If Verstappen is not available, they still got two excellent drivers.

More interesting is McLaren getting Mercedes engines. They could become a threat, at least Red Bull should worry.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

Lando and Lewis in 2021, yes please... At McLaren YES PLEASE! : P

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Lando Norris’ management company have confirmed that the McLaren driver has NOT switched the management of his career over to Mercedes.

https://formulaspy.com/f1/norris-managem...itch-65032

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

I missed all this, I have to say it'd have been odd for Norris to switch his management team to Mercedes, also like to point out Ocon is actually still a Mercedes driver, he's just signed a two year contract with Renault. Although i have to be honest and say I do not think he'll be coming back. Truth is Mercedes need a junior team like Red Bull and Ferrari going forward. Both Red Bull and Ferrari have their lead man going forward already in their cars.

(09-10-2019, 08:40 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I missed all this, I have to say it'd have been odd for Norris to switch his management team to Mercedes, also like to point out Ocon is actually still a Mercedes driver, he's just signed a two year contract with Renault. Although i have to be honest and say I do not think he'll be coming back. Truth is Mercedes need a junior team like Red Bull and Ferrari going forward. Both Red Bull and Ferrari have their lead man going forward already in their cars.

Is it only me who doesn't like "junior teams"? It's all well and good developing the next generation of F1 drivers in the feeder formulae but I've never liked A / B teams in F1 itself. I understand why Mercedes now need to do it (in order to level the playing field) but I think it would be better if all the teams in F1 were completely independent. The best drivers would then gravitate to the best F1 teams either by outstanding performance in lower racing divisions or by getting a drive in a slower F1 team and then catching the eye of the faster teams.

I don't like the way RBR (and now Ferrari) seem to operate a second team purely for getting their drivers experience. Hamilton came straight into a win capable F1 team because he was good enough, so if the RBR academy drivers are any good they should be able to do the same.

Basically I'd like to see the FIA ban B teams.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

I don't like B-teams either Morini, but they are here to stay apparently so yeah, Mercedes need to follow suit. It's not just developing drivers either. With any "spending caps" in the sport going forward having a B-team to buy / pay for R&D is going to be a big bonus. The FIA should've stamped this out when RBR bought Minardi, they didn't because the money RBR had brought into the sport had really helped. You now essentially have 40% of the grid owned by two teams. I forsee it only getting worse.

Norris the ‘obvious heir to Hamilton’s crown’

Trevor Carlin has backed Lando Norris to take over from Lewis Hamilton’s reign as Britain’s top Formula 1 driver.
Norris came through the ranks with the Carlin team, winning the MSA Formula Championship and the Formula 3 European Championship before finishing runner-up behind George Russell in the Formula 2 Championship back in 2018.

After making his Formula 1 debut in 2019 with McLaren, Norris’ career scaled to new heights in the 2020 season opener in Austria as he finished on the podium for the first time.

Carlin feels that once Hamilton steps away from Formula 1, Norris can become Britian’s leading talent.
“Lando is the obvious heir to Lewis’ crown as the top British driver,” Carlin told the Sun.

“When Lewis achieves everything he needs to achieve and steps down, Lando will be at the helm.

“He needs the correct package but McLaren have made incredible steps over the last few months and who’s to say that they cannot be a force in 12 months’ time?

“He is doing everything right and the results are coming and I am very proud of him.”

“Lando is the nicest person you could ever meet. I am chuffed to bits for him.

“He is not flash or big headed. He basically always delivers. It is as simple as that.”

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(08-07-2020, 12:36 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Norris the ‘obvious heir to Hamilton’s crown’

I think it's obvious, everybody likes him and he's show with the limited equipment he has got that he has potential. Lewis has two seasons left IMO, after that any of the "patriotic brand" of fans (yes, I know that ideal doesn't suit everyone) will be shouting for the remaining Brits on the grid.

I'd love to see both Lando and George in competitive cars. Eras come to an end and there are a lot of talented youngsters in F1 queuing up to be the best of the new era. Everybody thinks Max is the next big thing personally I think he has plenty of competition with the potential to beat him.

He's a decent lad Lando, fair play to him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53402340

That is the way to build a rapport with your crew.

(20-07-2020, 04:48 PM)morini Wrote:  He's a decent lad Lando, fair play to him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53402340

That is the way to build a rapport with your crew.

Norris posted a picture of himself on Twitter underneath his car in the garage at the Hungaroring, screwdriver in hand.

"If you want to go fast, go alone," he wrote. "If you want to go far, go together." - three long weeks for my team. Thought they could use a couple more hands."

Agree Morini, top boy Lando, actions like this not only show the sort of young man he is but obviously also built comradery & loyalty, impressed with him.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post