(10-12-2018, 03:43 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Australia: C2 (Hard), C3 (Medium), C4 (Soft)
Bahrain: C1 (Hard), C2 (Medium), C3 (Soft)
China: C2 (Hard), C3 (Medium), C4 (Soft)
Azerbaijan: C2 (Hard), C3 (Medium), C4 (Soft)

So, superficially simpler with Hard - Medium - Soft, but just the same in reality with 5 compounds in the mix. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd gotton used to the 2018 compounds / naming convention and didn't see the need for dumbing it down.

Don't really see what this brings to the party other than it "looking" like there are ony three dry weather compounds.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

I knew this would happen... for actual fans it's fucking baffling. We need a conversion table to work out what the hell the tyres are. Just so dumb. "Why are the medium tyres not working for Mercedes this race?" Because last race the Mediums were C4 and this race they're C2. Urgh. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

Pirelli believes it has "solution" for 18-inch F1 tyre testing...

Pirelli is advancing with its plans for its 2021 18-inch tyre test programme using modified mule cars, which will kick off before the end of this season.
The Italian company has planned a limited amount of running this year, beginning in September, followed by a more comprehensive programme in 2020.
Pirelli is close to finalising an agreement with teams who are willing and able to supply a car within this season.
The challenge for those who volunteer is that they have to adapt their suspension layouts to deal with the 18-inch rims and tyres.

"We are in discussion with the teams for the mule cars," said Pirelli F1 boss Mario Isola.
"It's still to be confirmed, but I believe we have a solution, and we have the possibility to test from September 2019 with the mule cars.
"That's very important for us – proper mule cars, 2018 cars modified for 18 inches.
"This year we have to have three sessions with a total of six days to start the development. It's a big change, 18 inche tyres are not something that you can design easily.

"If we have more than one team we will split the sessions between the teams that are offering the mule car."

Isola stressed that an early start will allow Pirelli to be better prepared for a bigger test programme in 2020.
"It's very important, and also considering the level of performance of the cars we need to be sure that we are supplying a good product, and starting in the second half of the year also gives us the opportunity to have the winter time to review the tests and to make changes if it is necessary.
"For example if you have to change the profile of the tyre, you have to make new moulds, and it takes time.
"Considering all this it's important for us to test in September, October and November. But this is not affecting the other teams that are not testing this year, and on top of that we are supplying all the data to all the teams."

Isola said that team that lacked the resources to create a mule car by September would still be able to join the 2020 programme, if they want to.

"As usual we offered the possibility to test to everybody, and then it's their decision. If we have just a few teams testing in 2019 it's not a problem, because in 2020 we are going to offer again to all the teams the opportunity to make a mule car, if anybody's not going to offer a car for this year, it's not cancelled for next year.
"We start from zero to offer again next year. Next year we will have 25 car days of testing, all dedicated to 18 inches testing.
"Probably next year we have more teams available to make a mule car, but not all the teams."

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

F1 News: Pirelli planning to scrap tyre choices once season restarts.  (Autosport)

Pirelli is planning to stop Formula 1 teams from making tyre selections for each grand prix and issue a standard allocation of compounds once the 2020 season begins.

F1's tyre supplier Pirelli has already been left with a stockpile of tyres after the opening races were called off, but will have to quickly return to production once plans for the start of the season are confirmed.

Speaking exclusively to Autosport as part of the #thinkingforward series of discussions on motor racing's response to the coronavirus crisis, Pirelli F1 chief Mario Isola explained the possible changes that lay ahead.

"If we have the first part of the season in Europe and then we move to Asia, and America, in a very short period, it means that for production, it will be quite a busy period," Isola said.

"We probably have to produce something in the region of roughly 35,000 tyres in probably a couple of months, not in one year. You can imagine the impact on production. That is quite big.

"We are having discussion with the teams.

"And I have to say that they are quite flexible in order to find sensible solutions like, for example, a standard allocation or some flexibility in this respect to be ready to supply in a very short period of time."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Pirelli will look to maintain their status as the tyre supplier for Formula 1 from 2025, though competition may emerge from a familiar face.

Since 2011 Pirelli has been the exclusive tyre supplier of Formula 1 and the process to submit bids for the next FIA tender has now come and gone.

This deal will run from 2025-27, with the prospect of an extension for 2028, and naturally Pirelli have thrown their hat into the ring to continue their association with Formula 1, the deadline having been May 15 for applications to be submitted.

And as per a report by Motorsport.com, sources have claimed that Pirelli are not alone in putting forward an application, with Bridgestone also pushing for a return to Formula 1.

“Bridgestone has a heritage of over 60 years in motorsports and we will continue to pursue sustainable global motorsports activities,” the statement read.

“However, we refrain from commenting on any particular categories.”

Bridgestone’s motorsports manager Eiichi Suzuki did go as far as to acknowledge Formula 1 when speaking to Motorsport.com, though remained coy on the matter of whether any application for this upcoming tyre tender has been made.

“We are always thinking about what and how we can best supply our motorsports activities in global categories, including F1,” said Suzuki.

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Strange how there is competition is almost every other area but tyres...hmmmmm
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

Bridgestone has lodged a bid to become Formula 1's tyre supplier from 2025.

Senior sources have told BBC Sport the tender document submitted is "impressive" and the Japanese company is being seriously considered as an option to replace Pirelli.

The Italian company, which has supplied F1 since 2011, wants to continue.

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Not before time but frankly even if they gave their services for free I doubt we will see change. As I have jokingly said before Pirelli must have naked pictures of some high powered people to keep that contract.

Here is a novel idea why not have two suppliers and let the team choose a supplier for the season? It would add some variety and differentiation of performance which surely can only add to the interest and mix things up something all the tinkering with the rules and specs have failed miserably to do.

Its so obvious, so potentially beneficial that it will never happen.
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

(18-06-2023, 02:55 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Not before time but frankly even if they gave their services for free I doubt we will see change. As I have jokingly said before Pirelli must have naked pictures of some high powered people to keep that contract.

Here is a novel idea why not have two suppliers and let the team choose a supplier for the season?  

Made me laugh mate  Laughing

Can't agree with another tyre war, didn't work last time, well some would say its ok if "your guy" was on the quicker/better tyre but if he was on the weaker one he'd have no chance, just imagine Max on the quicker tyre 
& the Brits on the slower one....... no ta.  

Slightly off topic I was hoping for the tyre warmer ban to come in, despite the drivers whinging it might make them look silly! but then (think it was Vowles) said because of the warm up it would reduce the number of pit stops in the race which would obviously not be good, think they are voting on it around Silverstone.

[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

I get your point Papa but what is the difference between making a pigs ear of your car or making a bad tyre choice at least it opens up options.

There is zero chance of there being two suppliers anyway it is just me hoping for something different.

Lets be honest Pirelli run F1 to some degree, more so than the teams themselves. The teams drive the cars to Pirelli's tyre performance standards as laid out by them and the FIA rather than Pirelli making a tyre the teams want. It is something I have never understood. My naked comment stands Smile Smile Smile

My F1 knowledge as I frequently say is limited however if someone came to me from F1 and said okay what would you do Neil I would say the following:

Make a set of tyres with a wider range of performance. Make one that will go the whole race, make one that will be allow teams to run flat out for a suitable distance and finally make one half way between the two. Just 3 tyre types for ALL tracks not god knows how many different compounds. It would be cheaper, it would introduce options for teams to try, it would open the door for more overtaking. Obviously Wet and Inters would remain.

Just my thoughts
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post