Well he's quick enough to be on the grid, is nice to daddies little boy, and is the only driver capable of scoring them points. Who else could they bring in? Makes sense I guess, but despite all the money being pumped in, I think they're a team in decline.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Sergio Perez’s agent Julian Jacobi has been speaking with other teams for “weeks”, aware of Lawrence Stroll’s interest in signing Sebastian Vettel.

Bild reported that Racing Point owner Stroll was keen to bring Vettel into the fold and had triggered a buy-out clause in Perez’s deal that would see the Mexican driver leave the team two years early.

‘Perez is aware of the deal between Lawrence Stroll, owner of the team, and the Germany’s Vettel, so his agent Julian Jacobi has been working for weeks on the best option for Checo Perez’ for 2021.

Jacobi is the former manager of Brazilian legend Ayrton Senna and Juan Pablo Montoya.

ESPN claims Perez’s two best options are Haas and Alfa Romeo, taking either Romain Grosjean or Kimi Raikkonen’s seats.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel

(16-07-2020, 12:31 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  ESPN claims Perez’s two best options are Haas and Alfa Romeo, taking either Romain Grosjean or Kimi Raikkonen’s seats.

Er, that decision should be a no brainer

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

I honestly look at Perez and wonder whether he'd make a much better wingman / development driver for someone like Max Verstappen and RBR.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Red Bull are expected to confirm Sergio Perez as Max Verstappen’s team-mate for 2021, perhaps as soon as the “coming week”.

That’s according to Formula 1 reporter Ted Kravitz who revealed the news as part of his Ted’s Notebook programme on Sky F1 after the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

While Red Bull  have never ruled Perez out of contention for a 2021 drive, their preference had always been to stick with Alex Albon for 2021.

It seems though that their stance has shifted with Perez set to be brought in to partner Verstappen for 2021, while Albon becomes a test and reserve driver.

“And Alex Albon will stay on as a test and reserve driver.

“It does look like Christian Horner and Helmut Marko have managed to convince Dietrich Mateschitz, who wanted to keep the faith with Alex Albon, to sign Perez.

“It seems like there is nothing to lose [signing Perez]. They may as well see how it goes [with him] and if he can’t do the job that they want him to do then they’ve Alex in reserve. That seems to be the elegant solution Red Bull has gone with.”

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Perez is confirmed as replacement of Albon.
Twice good news; Albon out and Perez gets a drive next year and even in one of the better cars on the field.
[+] 3 users Like Antilochos's post

This is both great and shocking news. Albon didn't deserve that drive, Perez did. Right call.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Chuffed for Sergio, good for him, Red Bull & us fans, looking forwards to see how he gets on.

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Awesome news, a good solid pair of hands in the second seat now, just what RBR needed all along.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

I've not really got much of an opinion on Perez. He took LH's mclaren seat when he left for Mercedes but they were on a downward spiral at that point (no LH to develop the car properly). Since then he has shown he can certainly manage tyres and coax a car to the flag, but I'm Not convinced of his racing credentials to be honest.

I like Checo. But, is he fast enough on absolute pace? I mean Max isn't exactly a qualifying god to start with. Three poles in six (I think) seasons?
[+] 3 users Like morini's post