So after reading the new discussion in the "does Bottas deserve his seat at Mercedes" thread I thought I'd bring up the Ocon question again. He was on the grid walk this weekend, and Toto was very supportive, and indicated he's learning how the team work, all departments. There are rumblings that in the simulator he's quicker than Bottas, doesn't say much maybe, but it does add more pressure on the Finn. If Ferrari and Red Bull get their respective acts together and challenge, then should Mercedes continue Ocon's education with a Mercedes race seat in 2020? In my opinion yes, because in that scenario I can see Lewis heading to the red team.

As an aside to that debate, I'm hearing that Williams are questioning Kubica's performance, and Kubica himself is not sure he wants to continue in the sport. So maybe Ocon will have a seat open up for him at Williams. Question is, if he does, should he take it? Is it a risk him dropping back down to a crappy team like Williams that he just doesn't have to take? Especially as it'd put him alongside a George Russell who is quietly getting more out of than steaming turd than he should be able too?

For what it's worth I think Ocon should be in the Racing Point ahead of either Stroll or Perez. Never rated either of those two as fast )in the context of F1) though Perez has shown a knack of being good at nursing tyres. I don't necessariy think he is better than Bottas, but then again it looks like I am the only one on here who thinks Bottas has the speed to justify being in the Merc.

It's all about fine margins, if Bottas got a better start yesterday he would have won. Who's the better race driver out of Ocon and Bottas? I suspect Ocon, but I'd need to see him in a top car to judge that. Chicken and egg situation.

I think Ocon proved himself to be better than Perez, and Perez is proving he's way better than Stroll, so yeah, I wouldn't disagree with you over that.

As to Bottas? Posted my rather long thoughts in the other thread. I'm in wait and see mode for now, but if by Canada Lewis has opened a double points gap and is continuing the 2 to 1 pattern in race and qualifying, or even stretching it I think the decision will be made. It's obviously hard to speculate, but yesterday after the race Bottas looked knackered and was sweating buckets, Lewis didn't looked fazed at all. Plus as I said, when he needed to Lewis was suddenly almost a second a lap quicker yesterday, so even if Bottas had got the jump on him... I still think Lewis would have won. Controversial maybe, but there it is. There were similar deltas in Bahrain where Bottas did get the jump on Lewis and we know how that turned out.

The other question though... If you were Icon, would you take a drive at Williams if offered it?

(15-04-2019, 09:26 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  The other question though... If you were Icon, would you take a drive at Williams if offered it?

Yes. He should take the Williams drive if offered.

Not disagreeing with what you said about Lewis winning even if Bottas got ahead into the first corner, but we will never know. It is always harder to follow and as you have always said, this circuit is front limited. If Lewis was running second my gut tells me that is where he would have finished. I'm basing that purely on Vettels inability to get past LeClerc (and vice versa). Turns out it wasn't as easy to overtake at Shanghai as we all thought. That was a major disappointment for me yesterday, truth be told.

(15-04-2019, 09:26 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:   The other question though... If you were Icon, would you take a drive at Williams if offered it?

This is harder to answer than it seems I feel, first thought is yes he would be better off in a race seat.

BUT what happens *if* he gets beaten by George? Mercedes seat go's too? 

Seems unlikely that a rookie could beat a driver of Ocon's quality, then who thought Lewis would challenge Fernando in his first year? 

If I was George I would really want Ocon as a team mate, its a win win, if he got beaten no one would think badly of a rookie being beaten by such a highly rated driver, should he come close or even beat him, he would be in for a shout of the Mercedes seat, Ocon should think very carefully about moving to Williams in my view.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

First question to me is yes as well; proceed with Ocon education in 2020 with a race seat (if he is showing good data of his speed in simulator).
Long term Ferrari have Leclerc I'm sure, so Mercedes has to get their next "Hamilton" ready. But, like you also said Jody, there is Verstappen and if Red Bull doesn't get their car competitive, big change Verstappen walks towards Mercedes. Don't see Ocon along Verstappen and Mercedes might take Verstappen over Ocon (I would; better choice probably in racing, in developing car and as a bonus also for marketing). So, bet on Ocon but if Verstappen comes available, go for Verstappen.

In that perspective, we go to the next question; should Ocon take Wiliams seat? Yes. It is a shit car, but it puts him on the radar for the whole F1 world a bit more. He might need that for if Verstappen would join Mercedes. The data he will provide with the Wiliams will still give Mercedes all the info they need to judge Ocon and he stays available for Mercedes if needed.
Risk for Ocon is Norris, but if he believes he is worth driving for Mercedes, for a championship, that risk of Norris would be no issue.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has said the team are prepared to release Esteban Ocon from his contract with the Silver Arrows.

Ocon was unfortunately forced to put his Formula 1 career on hold after failing to find a seat on the 2019 grid. Lance Stroll took his seat at Racing Point, while rumoured moves to Renault, McLaren or Williams failed to materialise.

The Frenchman is currently on the fringes at Mercedes as reserve and development driver, hoping that he could replace Valtteri Bottas if the Silver Arrows do not give the Finn another one-year extension.

However, Wolff is ready to let Ocon go so he can continue his career progression in Formula 1.

“There is this perception that he is a Mercedes driver, so maybe we need to set the record straight and enable him to pursue his career in a way that respects the investment and the support that Mercedes has given him, and he respects that very much, but equally doesn’t close doors for him,” Wolff told Motorsport.com.

A loan move to Renault next season has been suggested, but Wolff is now resigned to Ocon cutting all ties with Mercedes in order to seal a permanent move away.

“I think if he drives for another team he is released anyway,” Wolff added.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

He needs to be on the grid no matter what. If that means Mercedes need to release him, so be it. I do think they'd be foolish not to put him in their car in 2020.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

I think Ocon should be the second Mercedes now never mind next year but I understand the reasoning why he is not.

What should we make of him being released from his Mercedes obligations? Well it tells me they are prepared to let him race for another team next year and I think there are rumours of him going to Renault with whom I believe he already has some ties. If that is true it obviously means one of the Renault drivers will not be there. Hulkenbergs contract expires at the end of the season so its probably natural to suspect Ocon will replace him.

I have another (probably totally wrong) theory. Maybe Mercedes are going to release Ocon to Renault and Renault will release Danny Ricciardo to sign for Mercedes, that way Mercedes get a jump on driver movement for 2021. If he replaces Hulkenburg where does he go, back to Racing Point to replace Perez? Where would Bottas go I find it hard to believe he would go back to Williams. I think Haas may be the answer. A Haas team with Hulkenberg and Bottas would be a big step up.

Interesting times ahead
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

Renault want a former Mercedes driver in their second car. You only have to listen to how their engineers wax lyrical about the feedback Ricciardo has provided them with to understand why a team would want the same input from a former Merc driver. Ricciardo is going nowhere. Hulkenberg is clearly on his way out. No question. Ocon or Bottas would be a great steal for Renault, but honestly? Bottas would be the shrewder move for them. Ocon hasn't actually driven a Merc in anger, Bottas has for the past three years. True, both are considered highly technical drivers that could bring invaluable knowledge to Renault, but only one would bring experience. We're I Toto though... I'd want to keep Ocon more than Bottas. Bottas has proved he'll never be a team leader, nor a WDC, Ocon has potential, we often forget in junior formula he owned Verstappen at times.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post