(22-09-2018, 11:39 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  Can Toto, manage young drivers?
Well, lets put some perspective on the situation Mercedes have two seats available to them at Mercedes!  Ferrari have at least four, possibly five (Ferrari and Sauber and maybe, maybe one at Haas).  Red Bull have four seats available to them (and incidentally none of their own drivers to put in them at Toro Rosso unless you count Kvyat so does that make the Red Bull and Christian Horner incapable of running their programs?)

I can see an argument that perhaps they should have put Ocon in the second Mercedes and dropped Bottas but who knows contractually why they did not. I have been saying ever since I got on these boards Mercedes need a junior team and this is absolutely why they do.  Williams are the obvious current target, I would love to know why they did not go after Force India.

Why should Mercedes let Ocon go, they have invested in him just like other teams have invested in their own young drivers. Why should anyone just pick him up for nothing, that is not the way it works. Ocon is clearly destined for a Mercedes works team drive in the near future.

These guys seem to think Mercedes can just walk in to Williams and tell them what to do.  Clearly that is not the case right now. The suggestion of offering to pay Ocons salary shows ignorance I guarantee you Sirotkin brought far more to the team than his wages, a whole barrow load of Roubles!!!!

Is it sad Ocon will possibly not be in F1 next year, absolutely it is but is that Mercedes fault and in particular Toto Wolff, absolutely not.

I was intrigued by the comment from the paddock last week by Joe Saward that he (Ocon) will not be in a team at least at the "start of the season" which intimates he will be later in the season.

Esteban Ocon has revealed that he is in talks with Williams over a potential 2019 drive as he looks to salvage a place on the Formula 1 grid. Ocon saw deals with Renault and Force India slip through his fingers as a result of a chaotic summer break in F1.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/2742/...9-f1-seat/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Hoping this works out for Ocon, even in a not soo good Williams he will keep his eye in & at least learn from the experience, Sergey Sirotkin is in for a shock if this comes true, Haha.   Big Grin

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

So Williams are in talks with 2 Mercedes junior drivers? They've already confirmed they're in talks with Russell as well. I'm assuming they'll only offer one seat to a Mercedes driver, so I'm guessing that'll be Ocon. A real shame for Russell. I heard that their was some serious interest in him from so e IndyCar teams... That would not be great for the lad after utterly bossing F2 so far.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(26-09-2018, 02:05 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  So Williams are in talks with 2 Mercedes junior drivers? They've already confirmed they're in talks with Russell as well. I'm assuming they'll only offer one seat to a Mercedes driver, so I'm guessing that'll be Ocon. A real shame for Russell. I heard that their was some serious interest in him from so e IndyCar teams... That would not be great for the lad after utterly bossing F2 so far.

Makes a mockery really of winning F2 doesnt it? Saying that happened to Palmer, Vandoorne also, i suppose we should not be overly surprised, what is annoying is Llando gets a seat but the winner (potentially) doesn't, that does not sit right with me personally, but we all know why good ol politics. I am sure he will get his chance in the near future.
[+] 3 users Like LotusLover's post

Esteban Ocon believes the “hate” targeted at Lance Stroll is “not normal”, amid the criticism Stroll has received during the saga that may leave Ocon without a Formula 1 drive.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ocon-...l/3184112/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(27-09-2018, 12:47 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Esteban Ocon believes the “hate” targeted at Lance Stroll is “not normal”, amid the criticism Stroll has received during the saga that may leave Ocon without a Formula 1 drive.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ocon-...l/3184112/

Esteban Ocon showing some class, top driver & top man.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ocon-...1/3184105/

Esteban Ocon has admitted Williams is now his only hope of staying on the Formula 1 grid in 2019.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Interesting to see Helmut Marko stab Mercedes in the back this morning. When asked if he would consider Ocon for the seat at Toro Rosso for next year he replied Yes, but only if he is free from all contracts. I keep saying it Mercedes need to match Ferrari and Red Bull and have a second team. If not Williams introduce a second team and call it I dont know.... Daimler?

Mercedes are taking way too much flak for this situation, I feel for Ocon he is a good could be great driver. I wonder how much money Mercedes will throw at Williams?
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

I think it is clear that Mercedes need to get a second team on the grid, and I think it'd be better if it was a new team, and then tell Force India or Williams to go find a Renault or Honda engine. The rumours were the sports powers that be steered Mercedes away from buying Force India and turning it into Daimler, so I guess if this carries on for much longer Mercedes will need to match Ferrari and Red Bull.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(29-09-2018, 10:15 AM)NeilP Wrote:  Interesting to see Helmut Marko stab Mercedes in the back this morning.

I don't see it that way Neil, Toto, is prepared to put his driver on a sabbatical, rather than release him, to race for another team contract free, yet wants to get angry about Ocon not having a drive? Not getting at Toto, it's all part of the game, but said before, these corporate style contracts, stopping drivers and others, going to competitors is getting ridiculous, I just heard that McLaren are going to bring in Pat Fry, because James Keys, "gardening leave" is too long.

Anyway, back on point, if he has Ocon's interest at heart, instead of just playing the Merc corporation game - he should release him, Helmut would take him in a heartbeat - that's managing "a driver" - not the corporate Merc interests, bring back people who manage "drivers" - maybe a bit simplistic on my part though

That said, RBR play the same game, nature of the beast, and I've said many times, like Jody said, we don't want "B" teams, we just want new teams

RBR have had 2 teams for several years, it is what it is, but SF and Merc now seem determined to hoover up the rest of the field, and make them capitulate to their will, not good IMO

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 1 user Likes Foghorn Leghorn's post