Nico Hulkenberg

I for one would love to see Nico Hulkenberg in a decent car he has paid his dues in F1 and deserves his chance which is not always forthcoming for all drivers. That said I think Ricciardo is the better driver of the two.

Does Ricciardo regret leaving RBR? That is an interesting point for discussion and I think the answer to that lies ahead in 2021. I think the move to Renault was to distance himself from Max Verstappen. Ultimately the move pays of if Renault suddenly become a team able to compete with the top three (Looking more unlikely by the race) or he turns that into a drive for Ferrari or Mercedes.

As for Hulkenberg obviously if he does move to RBR he will have to accept that he is a clear number two for 2020 anyway because...

Now for the possible real reason RBR are going after him. What if in 2021 Max Verstappen signs with either Mercedes or Ferrari (which personally I think he will) what would that leave them with. Gasly and maybe Albon. So maybe at the end of the day its as much an insurance policy as anything. Who knows how Gasly and /or Albon will turn out.

I think 2021 is going to be very very interesting to see where drivers go to. Obviously there will be winners and losers. The most obvious loser right now is Sebastian Vettel. Hovering on the Brink will be Valteri Bottas. I dont buy the Leclerc story about wanting out. Too soon, too ridiculous he is disappointed as are most Ferrari followers with their situation.

I dont see Hamilton retiring in 2020 and I would think he will be wherever Verstappen in not (Ferrari or Mercedes). I could easily see Ricciardo in the mix for both teams too. Would he ever accept being in the same team as Verstappen again, I doubt it.

If I could have my way I would love to see Hamilton and Ricciardo at Mercedes and Verstappen and Leclerc at Ferrari. That would be fireworks every race and frankly I dont give a toss about RBR.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(31-05-2019, 04:34 AM)NeilP Wrote:  I for one would love to see Nico Hulkenberg in a decent car he has paid his dues in F1 and deserves his chance which is not always forthcoming for all drivers. That said I think Ricciardo is the better driver of the two.

Does Ricciardo regret leaving RBR? That is an interesting point for discussion and I think the answer to that lies ahead in 2021.  I think the move to Renault was to distance himself from Max Verstappen.  Ultimately the move pays of if Renault suddenly become a team able to compete with the top three (Looking more unlikely by the race) or he turns that into a drive for Ferrari or Mercedes.

I always rated Nico and I really do think it is his size that caused the bigger teams to look away. That is less of an issue than it once was, but is still a negative for him. Regarding the Hulk / Ricciardo comparisons, I think with the Renault "team performance" so far this season it is way too early to say Dan is owning him. Deep down I do believe DR is the better driver, but I am not sure if the hulk really is in the "best of the midfield" category or slightly better than that. I guess time will tell, but I will believe the Hulk going to RBR when I see it with my own eyes (personally I think it's Marko being his usual twattish, shit stirring self).

Renault are (somewhat unbelievably) talking up this years PU and even claim to have a proper party mode. I think Montreal will confirm or deny that one chaps Wink
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

I agree with Morini, I don't think RBR are "really" considering signing Hulkenberg. I also think it's too early to say Ricciardo is "dominanting" him, had anyone actually suggested that? I'm not sure they have. There are signs though, like I said, that as he finds his feet in Renault Ricciardo is beginning to get the better of his team mate. He'll need to do that consistently throughout the season for his own reputation, but even then that isn't dominating someone. What Verstappen is doing to Gasly, or Russell to Kubica, that's dominating, and I do not think Ricciardo is that much better than Hulkenberg to do that.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

I think Hulkenberg is good, but Ricciardo is probably a bit better. But then I think Ricciardo is maybe the third or fourth best driver in F1 right now.

Like Neil says, it will be interesting what is going to happen at the top teams.
I see Vertappen in a Mercedes in 2021 (maybe 2020, but 21 is more likely). Hamilton will walk towards Ferrari or retire.
Vettel will retire in 2020. Leclerc will stay at Ferrari.
Red Bull, are they anticipating on a leaving Verstappen? Would Hulkenberg fit in that spot?
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

(31-05-2019, 11:55 AM)Antilochos Wrote:   Hamilton will walk towards Ferrari or retire.

Hoping he walks towards Ferrari.....then keeps on walking ...far, far away Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Hulkenberg would be a big step down for RBR I think as a lead driver. I think that's a real concern for them, they don't really have a driver ready to lead their team on the conveyer belt. Albon has been good... but Verstappen good? No. So they'd need to splash some cash, Hamilton if he leaves Mercedes only goes to one team, Ferrari.

As to Hulkenberg? I think his best option will be staying at Renault, but if RBR do offer him a seat them grab it with both hands and make the best of the opportunity. I like the Hulk, not sure he's one of the very best in the grid, but he's a good driver.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(31-05-2019, 11:56 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(31-05-2019, 11:55 AM)Antilochos Wrote:   Hamilton will walk towards Ferrari or retire.

Hoping he walks towards Ferrari.....then keeps on walking ...far, far away Tongue

First sign of love... denial!!!! Smile
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

‘Nico Hulkenberg to Red Bull is far-fetched’

Red Bull Racing are not in talks with Nico Hulkenberg regarding a 2020 drive, at least that’s according to Helmut Marko.
Following the Monaco Grand Prix, Motorsport.com’s Italian edition reported that Hulkenberg and Red Bull have begun talks over a 2020 drive.

The reported stated that the team were looking for a “back up” solution in case new signing Pierre Gasly was unable to rise to the challenge.

Marko, though, insists this is just a “far-fetched” rumour.

The Red Bull advisor told Autobild: “These rumours are so far-fetched that I do not even want to comment on them anymore.

“It’s absolute nonsense, that’s what I said to Gasly, who even called me about it.”

However, given Red Bull’s at times ruthless treatment of drivers who they feel are under-performing, unless Gasly begins to challenge Verstappen, it seems only a matter of time before the next rumour linking another driver to his seat does the rounds.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Hulkenberg lifts lid on Ferrari talks.

Nico Hulkenberg says he had a "realistic opportunity" to join Ferrari for the 2014 Formula 1 seasons, but says he remains unaware how close he came to signing for the team. As Felipe Massa left the Scuderia, the returning Kimi Raikkonen was ultimately chosen ahead of Hulkenberg.

The German came through junior categories with comparisons to Michael Schumacher tied to him as he won title after title, although the same success has eluded him in Formula 1 and he remains the most experienced driver in history to not secure a podium finish, having entered his 165 grand prix in Canada last week.

Nico Hulkenberg says he had a "realistic opportunity" to join Ferrari for the 2014 Formula 1 seasons, but says he remains unaware how close he came to signing for the team. As Felipe Massa left the Scuderia, the returning Kimi Raikkonen was ultimately chosen ahead of Hulkenberg.

The German came through junior categories with comparisons to Michael Schumacher tied to him as he won title after title, although the same success has eluded him in Formula 1 and he remains the most experienced driver in history to not secure a podium finish, having entered his 165 grand prix in Canada last week.

Driving a Ferrari-powered Sauber, Hulkenberg ended 2013 in fine form, scoring top-six finishes in Belgium, Korea and Brazil, leading to talks with the Scuderia, which he opened up about on F1's 'Beyond the Grid' podcast.

"You never know with these things and the people that make the decisions they don't tell you," Hulkenberg said. "[Maybe] it was like and inch, a bee sting, I really don't know how.

"There were definitely some talks and I think there was a realistic opportunity for quite a decent period of time but then unfortunately in the end it fell through."

Hulkenberg would have partnered Fernando Alonso at Ferrari in what would transpire to be the Spaniard's final year in red after several near-misses in the championship prompted his ill-fated return to McLaren.

Asked if Alonso might have influenced the outcome which saw Raikkonen hired instead, Hulkenberg replied: "I'd like to know that too."

The German confirmed he discussed the matter with Alonso in later times, but remains unsure if he ever got any further clarity.

He said: "With Fernando you can never be totally sure what he says and what he actually means [are the same], you know?

"I think he likes the games sometimes so I'm not really sure if he was supporting it or not to be honest and now anyway it's in the past."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Anyone think Red Bull have any interest in Hulkenberg. Obviously Max is doing well for a Dutchman! I think Albon will be his number 2 but I wonder if Hulkenberg is in the frame and 2 out of Gasly/Albon/Kyvat will be with Toro Rosso next season?
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post