18" Wheels!!!

Came across this Youtube video today, again ideal for those F1 fans like me who are technically challenged (which if I am being honest with you people is just one area I struggle in life but that will do for now!)

I have seen reference to active suspensions many times but is that not just another driver aid?  Dont get me wrong I am not going to live and die on the issue but it seems to me with having to completely redesign the suspension and other ride factors it another case of massive expense for the teams which i thought Liberty were trying to avoid. (or is that just another bitch at the engine manufacturers?)

Having said that I do like the looks of the 18" wheels over the 13" inch ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOciDjS-hRw
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(08-08-2018, 06:21 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Came across this Youtube video today, again ideal for those F1 fans like me who are technically challenged (which if I am being honest with you people is just one area I struggle in life but that will do for now!)

I have seen reference to active suspensions many times but is that not just another driver aid?  Dont get me wrong I am not going to live and die on the issue but it seems to me with having to completely redesign the suspension and other ride factors it another case of massive expense for the teams which i thought Liberty were trying to avoid. (or is that just another bitch at the engine manufacturers?)

Having said that I do like the looks of the 18" wheels over the 13" inch ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOciDjS-hRw

Active suspension is no more a driver aid than is a paddle shift gearbox or more specifically, a trick passive suspension system. Active suspension reacts faster and levels the ride height faster and better than a passive suspension system. It is also cheaper than the complex suspension systems they use now in F1. AS balances the car quicker and better. When that happens the tires are allowed to work better. If the car is better balanced and level, especially on weight transfer in braking and in roll when cornering, the tire contact patch surface area is maximized, which then allows better grip. Better grip allows for better braking and faster cornering. Better balance allows for more even tire wear too. Better grip allows for the potential tire grip or adhesion to be more fully exploited. AS also controls the ride height, including pitch, roll, and yaw. All these factors affect the air flow under the floor. This enhances the ground effect downforce that the floor generates. Active suspension is a brilliant piece of engineering, totally road relevant, and can help make teams more competitive, and at less cost. Trick complex passive suspension systems require the best chassis engineers. That costs money as does the constant development of the passive systems. Active suspension does it all and it does it better and faster. AS allows for the existing potential performance of the car to be more fully exploited. It does not create new grip or traction. It allows the car to use more of what already exists.
[+] 5 users Like Gordo Sixtytwo's post

GordoSixtytwo - Thanks for the lesson that is why I came here!
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

don't beat yourself up Neil - AS, is one of Gordo's hobby horses, I asked him to reply to your post, when I seen it, was going to try to respond myself, but as you seen, he knows it much better Smile

I'm on about the same level as you, when it comes to tech knowledge Smile

Edit:  but if you want to know how to make the perfect sandwich? I'm your huckleberry, haha

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 4 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

(08-08-2018, 09:42 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  1) don't beat yourself up Neil 

2) I'm on about the same level as you, when it comes to tech knowledge Smile

3) Edit:  but if you want to know how to make the perfect sandwich? I'm your huckleberry, haha

1) True words, some clever buggers here, sadly Im not one of them Tongue

2) So I'm not alone, thank feck, Hehe'

3) Yup agreed, no doubt in my mind, the sandwich master.   Big Grin

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

(09-08-2018, 12:03 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  
(08-08-2018, 09:42 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  1) don't beat yourself up Neil 

2) I'm on about the same level as you, when it comes to tech knowledge Smile

3) Edit:  but if you want to know how to make the perfect sandwich? I'm your huckleberry, haha

1) True words, some clever buggers here, sadly Im not one of them Tongue

2) So I'm not alone, thank feck, Hehe'

3) Yup agreed, no doubt in my mind, the sandwich master.   Big Grin

Your not alone Paps or Neil, that was very informative thanks Gordo
[+] 4 users Like LotusLover's post

I never beat myself up in a quest to better my knowledge. I actually spend time each and every day trying to educate myself be it unimportant stuff like Global Warming and World Peace or critical information like Active Suspensions in Formula One

(08-08-2018, 09:42 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  3) Edit:  but if you want to know how to make the perfect sandwich? I'm your huckleberry, haha

Now that has aroused my curiosity. Do you own a sandwich wagon and do you drive around with it in a Renault engined vehicle???? Smile
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(08-08-2018, 09:30 PM)NeilP Wrote:  GordoSixtytwo - Thanks for the lesson that is why I came here!

No problem. Any time. :-)
[+] 1 user Likes Gordo Sixtytwo's post

(08-08-2018, 09:30 PM)NeilP Wrote:  

(08-08-2018, 09:42 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  

Now that has aroused my curiosity. Do you own a sandwich wagon and do you drive around with it in a Renault engined vehicle???? Smile

Haha - lets just say Paps, has a special recipe, for making you hungry, I merely advise on the remedy Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 3 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post